Boris Johnson

Started by imtommygunn, January 19, 2022, 09:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The Tories are awful- there isn't one decent one in the race. The ERG are odious.
The hard Brexit is bleeding the UK. Something awful would need to happen for anything to change.

weareros

Sunak is the only good prospect for Ireland, as he knows he needs good trading relationships with EU, and privately would like to get shut of the North, as he sees everything in monetary terms and that spells trouble for DUP. The rest look dangerous. Liz O'Leary as a remainer would normally be fine but she is trying to be more Brexiter than the Brexiters themselves and will be eager to get her DUP bill passed and give Jeremy his "victory." Penny they say is itching to do battle with EU, but she's been quiet on protocol. She's in the driving seat now. They certainly know how to drag out a leadership vote.

seafoid

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1546801544321896448

This is very good. Peter Oborne on the Tories under Johnson

bennydorano

Saddo that I am I watched both Tory leadership debates over the weekend. Really illuminating as I had little knowledge of Tugendhat, Mordaunt and Kemi Badenoch beforehand, of those 3 Badenoch looks by far and away the most impressive individual, confident and clear, Mordaunt was fairly terrible both nights and how she is so popular is a bit of a mystery imo, Tugendhat performed pretty well both nights but you get the feeling he's the I've got nothing to lose candidate. Sunak has been the stand out performer imo, continually attacked by all but well fit for them, Truss was awful Friday night but significantly better last night but you can't get away from the fact that she's as wooden as Aunt Sally, but she would really fancy her chances if she gets to the last 2 but apparently Badenoch has her under pressure (interesting to hear that Gove is the mastermind behind Badenoch). Tugendhat will surely bow out today and likely swing behind Sunakor Mordaunt, it will be interesting to see if Truss loses any support to Badenoch. Mordaunt could likely drop votes if MPs actually watched the debates.

My overall takeaway from the debates is we'll be hearing a lot more about Badenoch in the future, she'll get a big cabinet job from this minimum. I'm firmly in the anyone but Truss camp, she has a bandwagon of idiots attached to her, the sooner JRM & Dorries leave cabinet the better.

imtommygunn

They are all horrendous. Truss is very dangerous though - she has made noises wrt Russia and it is very worrying that if she is in then that situation would worry me. Although like someone says she can't do anything unilaterally but in reality she is a complete balloon who tells almost, but no one does, as many lies as Johnson.

I would probably prefer Sunak as he's the lesser evil but tbh they are all pretty much evil just varying degrees.

bennydorano

No more leadership debates, Sunak & Truss withdraw. Not surprising, the public airing of dirty laundry can't be a good look.

CiKe

For a moment I thought you meant they had withdrawn from the leadership contest, not just the final debate. Whoever comes out of it, hopefully they can shift back towards the center and leave the ERG behind.

Interesting you say Sunak clearly the most impressive as he gets a lot of bad press. Never ceases to amaze me that many people would prefer someone thick, so long as they aren't "rich" versus someone who is competent and "rich". Same way I'm amazed when people give out about the salaries of MPs or heads of public sector departments etc. Drop in the ocean ultimately and you want the best people doing these jobs. Now I'm sure there are lots of "jobs for the boys" type thing, but would much prefer to see higher salaries and real accountability.

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on July 18, 2022, 11:42:27 AM
No more leadership debates, Sunak & Truss withdraw. Not surprising, the public airing of dirty laundry can't be a good look.

Quite like that one Kay Burley on Sky, takes no shít from them so no reason they pulled out as she'd make dicks out of them.

imtommygunn

It really doesn't matter though and I never saw the point in the debates.

The reckoning is it is damaging the Tory party. I fail to see how you could damage it any more. Yet they, and Boris, are still in government  >:(

brokencrossbar1

Sunak may get to the last 2, likely against Truss. Then it goes to the party members country wide. Don't rule out the 'fear' of having a non-white leader.  He is the most capable of them but ye just never know....

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:59 PM
Sunak may get to the last 2, likely against Truss. Then it goes to the party members country wide. Don't rule out the 'fear' of having a non-white leader.  He is the most capable of them but ye just never know....

I'd second that, the old biddies and the Trevors in the Shires will find it hard to vote for "that Indian fella" than a white woman..

Truss comes across as abjectly useless, whereas Sunak is an out and out Osbourne 2.0, austerity man, to be feared, but at least you know what you get with him.

Mourdant, and that Kemi one are ideologues and hard right wing at that. From Working Class backgrounds my arse.

Tougenhat was in the Army if you didn't know, a bit of a non-entity

imtommygunn

I think Truss is absolutely useless and is a big danger to all of us however I also think she will get it.

bennydorano

Funny, I don't think racism will have any part to play in this, if there were two Sunak type candidates and one was wealthy and the other was working class I would 100% say the WC person would have no chance. Tories are more interested in the colour of your money than the colour of your skin.

Eire90

Just my opinion i dont see any of them calling an early election they would rather say they were prime minister for two years than risk being a few months prime minister

Eire90

Quote from: johnnycool on July 18, 2022, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:59 PM

I'd second that, the old biddies and the Trevors in the Shires will find it hard to vote for "that Indian fella" than a white woman..

Truss comes across as abjectly useless, whereas Sunak is an out and out Osbourne 2.0, austerity man, to be feared, but at least you know what you get with him.

Mourdant, and that Kemi one are ideologues and hard right wing at that. From Working Class backgrounds my arse.

Tougenhat was in the Army if you didn't know, a bit of a non-entity

i would say that would be more of a problem when it comes to the general election as working class tories might have a problem with sunaks skin but id say their would be come in tory membership too