NFL Division Two 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 09:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on February 27, 2022, 11:30:57 AM
That was a good win in Páirc Esler, which seemed to be a home game for Ros as not many natives in attendance.

Small crowd, judging by League Sunday. Different buzz in Down than in the Athletic Grounds where you have to come early to get a seat. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Result in Salthill.  Galway 2-17 Offaly 3-10. Tribesmen move joint top of the table with Derry on 8 points. The defeat sends Offaly bottom but scoring difference didn't take a big hit.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

We're scoring well but our score concessions are way too high.
We're just too easy to score against.

An Fhairche Abu

Realistically where are Galway going conceding 3-10 at home to the likes of Offaly? Absolutely ridiculous. Worrying signs the last two weeks, you'll get away with that type of slack and mistake laden performance against lower Division Two standard teams, but will be blown out of it against serious opposition who won't give up a big score.
Have the three best teams left to play and I hope that Galway go up purely because we will fall even further behind Division One standard if they don't, the gulf is big enough as it is. Will be a difficult task though, 10 points mightn't be enough to go up given the huge imbalance in the Division, needless to say, anything bar a win against Clare and Galway will be in serious bother.
As for the championship will be looking for a good run in backdoor unless something serious changes between now and April 24th, a top level Division One team like Mayo are not going to give up cheap scores and will wreck a defensive setup that's letting in huge scores against Cork and Offaly.. Went into this league hoping to see some big improvements on 3 things: kickouts, defence setup and score conversion rate. When you see the calibre of opposition at this level, there is no improvement on the first two aspects and that level of performance today just isn't good enough.

seafoid

The Top 4 are Clare, Derry,Galway and Ros.
Clare will most likely be staying put. So 2 from 3.
Galway may be a work in progress but are Ros likely to bate them in a winner takes all for promotion to D1?

An Fhairche Abu

They play like they did last week and today then the Rossies will have every chance.
I'm looking to April and Mayo as well, I've been shocked at the general standard in Division Two, it's gone way back from the last time Galway were playing there in 2017. I couldn't make the game today but have seen enough in the other games to be concerned at what is waiting for us on the 24th, there is no COVID-19 excuses for the management team now when it comes to kickout strategies and the like.
Arguable that Mayo have been a "work in progress" for a couple of years and still made two All Ireland finals while doing it, look at the squad they have assembled now even without Conroy and O'Connor available up front. Fair enough it might be a better pool of players to pick from but there's enough players there in Galway to come up with some way of not conceding 3-10 to a team that will be likely playing in Division 3 next year.

galwayman

Couldn't go myself at the last minute today either.
Our lack of full back line players able to defend 1 v 1 is what will kill us.
Other teams can get away with providing less cover at times because they have defenders able to manage okay in one v one situations. We don't have that unfortunately at the moment.
There is a reason our previous manager setup as he did.

armaghniac

Galway are a bit like Armagh a year ago. Armagh managed to get their defence capable of stopping big scores by the opposition while having enough forwards to win some games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 06, 2022, 05:16:06 PM
Realistically where are Galway going conceding 3-10 at home to the likes of Offaly? Absolutely ridiculous. Worrying signs the last two weeks, you'll get away with that type of slack and mistake laden performance against lower Division Two standard teams, but will be blown out of it against serious opposition who won't give up a big score.
Have the three best teams left to play and I hope that Galway go up purely because we will fall even further behind Division One standard if they don't, the gulf is big enough as it is. Will be a difficult task though, 10 points mightn't be enough to go up given the huge imbalance in the Division, needless to say, anything bar a win against Clare and Galway will be in serious bother.
As for the championship will be looking for a good run in backdoor unless something serious changes between now and April 24th, a top level Division One team like Mayo are not going to give up cheap scores and will wreck a defensive setup that's letting in huge scores against Cork and Offaly.. Went into this league hoping to see some big improvements on 3 things: kickouts, defence setup and score conversion rate. When you see the calibre of opposition at this level, there is no improvement on the first two aspects and that level of performance today just isn't good enough.

Wouldn't get too het up yet AFU. Of the 3 things you list above, scoring ability is the hardest thing to get right and it's the one thing this team can do reasonably well, providing everyone stays healthy. Defence can and needs to be worked upon for sure. More so, tracking back by wing forwards in particular. Not sure Matthew Tierney is good at that aspect yet, needs to be developed more in him.

It could all come down to the match in the Hyde, but the Rossies failed to beat Clare there so maybe they're not as good as thought either.

imtommygunn

Derry Roscommon a big one - that will be very interesting. I have a funny feeling Derry might be close to being the team to beat in this division but I guess the weekend will tell that story.

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2022, 01:49:30 PM
Derry Roscommon a big one - that will be very interesting. I have a funny feeling Derry might be close to being the team to beat in this division but I guess the weekend will tell that story.

Looks like the stand out fixture in Division 2 this weekend. Tg4 instead have decided to cover Meath v Cork with the possibility of loser (a big traditional county) to end up in the Tailteann Cup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Silver hill

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 07, 2022, 02:09:57 PM

Looks like the stand out fixture in Division 2 this weekend. Tg4 instead have decided to cover Meath v Cork with the possibility of loser (a big traditional county) to end up in the Tailteann Cup.

Brutal call by TG4.

screenexile

Quote from: Silver hill on March 07, 2022, 06:45:28 PM

Brutal call by TG4.

Even though it's a bigger game Meath and Cork would arguably have more people watching their game than would Derry/Rossies.

twohands!!!

Meath 0-6 (6) 
Down 0-9 (9)
Cork 2-17 (23)
Offaly 3-10 (19)

What Galway's opposition scored in their other 3 league games; their average in the 3 games ; who they played

Meath 4-27 13 points [Roscommon, Down, Offaly]
Down  2-22  9.66 points [Derry, Meath, Roscommon]
Cork 1-30 11 points [Roscommon, Clare, Derry]
Offaly 1-24 9 points [Clare, Derry, Meath]

It's one thing to be conceding big scores but conceding big scores to two teams who are struggling to score against other teams has to be a worry.

Cork and Offaly scored 2-54 (60) in their other 6 games whereas they scored a total of 5-27(42) in their two games against Galway.
An average of 10 points a game accross 6 games compared to an average of 21 points in the 2 games against Galway.

Also it's not as if this is a new issue - there's been a marked difference in what Galway have conceded under Joyce compared to Walsh.

In the previous two years in Division 1 under Joyce in the league, Galway conceded 18-167 (221 points) (An average of 20.09 over 11 league games)

There were only 2 of those 11 league games where the opposition didn't get at least one goal.

Will be very interesting to see how Galway get on against Clare, Roscommon and Derry who are the other 3 top half of the table sides, especially in terms of scores conceded.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: screenexile on March 07, 2022, 07:32:03 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on March 07, 2022, 06:45:28 PM

Brutal call by TG4.

Even though it's a bigger game Meath and Cork would arguably have more people watching their game than would Derry/Rossies.
Who in their right mind would want to watch the cork footballers?