NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Armagh have been mediocre for a while. This is quite a decent campaign given that.

Main Street

It looked like Armagh were 'out-puked' by Kerry, but considering Armagh missed three or four very scorable chances in the 2nd half, they were not that far off from rattling that Kerry aura of dominance.

Captain Scarlet

Any Mayo heads here know James Horan? Tell him to try a few new lads and mind the big timers for the championship...I really have no clue how that will go in Carrick.
Mayo didn't seem to have a clue how to break down Tyrone and did some amount of flutin' around. We don't have that same defensive system and we are given to allow a hole to be punched through at times.

Kildare (and everyone else) have played in some horrible conditions and the dry ball and harder ground does suit a lot of our lads. Even lads at the back have serious pace when they get going and Kevin Flynn glided through Monaghan a few times on Sunday, but they seemed stuck to the ground in comparison.
I don't see Monaghan getting anything from the Dubs but a draw would be tasty.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Quote from: Main Street on March 21, 2022, 08:08:15 PM
It looked like Armagh were 'out-puked' by Kerry, but considering Armagh missed three or four very scorable chances in the 2nd half, they were not that far off from rattling that Kerry aura of dominance.

Outpuked would be a good way of describing it alright. In the League matches to date Armagh have fed off turnovers and a level of controlled aggression which gave them the impetus to allow the forwards go and get the scores. Against Kerry this was sorely lacking until the second half when they began pinning Kerry in their own half and forcing a few mistakes from turnovers and poor kickouts.

It looked like Armagh naively either weren't ready for Kerrys strong arm tactics or were simply caught like rabbits in the headlights. Either way they gave them far too much respect in that first half and give themselves a mountain to climb to win the match.

Armamike

Quote from: APM on March 21, 2022, 02:03:59 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on March 21, 2022, 01:37:21 PM
On RTE last night, they talked about Kerry for 5 or 6 minutes without ever even mentioning Armagh, then in the final 20 seconds, Colm Boyle said Armagh were flat, Joanne agreed that they were a bit flat, then Colm Boyle repeated that Armagh looked flat.  That was it!!

Then for The All Ireland Champions v Mayo, Joanne said, "A good win there for Tyrone, Colm lets talk about Mayo"

It was a bit of a joke alright. All you could do was laugh at it.  Kerry won by three points and they had to work for it.  They did keep Armagh at arms length for most of the game, but they were under serious pressure with their kickouts in the last 15-20 mins and there wasn't a word about it - it was basically a Kerry love in. If they were only going to analyse Kerry - at least analyse the good and the bad. 

Joanne seems to be challenging the pundits a bit, particularly O'Rourke and Spillane, particularly if she thinks they are being inconsistent.  It definitely needs done and she's right to do it.  I'm not sure I like the way she goes about it - bit too pleased with herself or something - would be surprised if it isn't pissing the two old codgers off.

It's poor.  Joanne strikes me as somebody picking a fight for the sake of it at times.  The hurling analysis puts football to shame.  You know what you're going to get with Spillane and O'Rourke. A few big generalisations. Nothing very insightful.  Spillane's like the cat who got the cream when Kerry win. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armamike

Pat didn't use the term puke to describe it strangely enough. He applauded Kerry for their defending and swarming tactic.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Captain Scarlet

I didn't watch it on Sunday but I hear Kildare v Monaghan had around 2 minutes and they still give so much time to games that were live. Also, some lad called Paddy Kirwan played well for Kildare...Darragh made team of the week but I'm sure the other lad is even better.

They can't watch all the games and even the ones that they do is just general comments and nonsense. Like years ago when Geezer was with Kildare we had no forwards even though we had three lads leading the scores from play that year.
Meath were tough for years too as if Mick Lyons was still playing.

Like the GAANow clips on Twitter are better if they threw them on YouTube with a few extra minutes.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Quote from: Armamike on March 21, 2022, 08:47:12 PM

Pat didn't use the term puke to describe it strangely enough. He applauded Kerry for their defending and swarming tactic.

The height of Pats analysis centred around excellent Kerry defending, praising a nephew and praising a clubman who he'd watched develop since he was eight. Everything is viewed with green and gold glasses with very little mention of the opposition at all.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: yellowcard on March 21, 2022, 08:55:55 PM

The height of Pats analysis centred around excellent Kerry defending, praising a nephew and praising a clubman who he'd watched develop since he was eight. Everything is viewed with green and gold glasses with very little mention of the opposition at all.

That's Kerry for you, Kerry this, Kerry that and Kerry the other. Even pundits such as Tomás Ó Sé when writing in whatever paper he writes in nowadays would mention 'when I was playing for Kerry...'. I sincerely hope any other county wins the All-Ireland this year especially.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

jmk

Spillane's Veni, Vidi, Vici, was the most smug piece of punditry I have seen in a long time.

ONeill

The apple munchers aren't gonna send us down, are they?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

inroundthesquare

No TV coverage of Kerry v Tyrone at the weekend. Maybe because Kerry are already through

Monaghan Dublin live with the "Red zone" updates from Donegal v Armagh and Mayo v Kildare

yellowcard

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 21, 2022, 09:21:42 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 21, 2022, 08:55:55 PM

That's Kerry for you, Kerry this, Kerry that and Kerry the other. Even pundits such as Tomás Ó Sé when writing in whatever paper he writes in nowadays would mention 'when I was playing for Kerry...'. I sincerely hope any other county wins the All-Ireland this year especially.

If they don't win it then Tally and his tactics will get the blame. If they do win it they will not want to admit that it took a Tyrone man to tighten them up defensively and helped bring an added edge and touch of cynicism to their game.

Even Spillane seemed keen to deflect the praise away from Tally last night when asked by Joanne Cantwell.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 21, 2022, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: APM on March 21, 2022, 12:03:58 PM
Armagh and the officials seemed to give them too much respect.

Good post, APM, and this is the line that resonated with me the most. I thought our lads were in awe at the site of the Kerry jersey for much of the game and made a litany of mistakes in terms of shot and pass selection, committing to a tackle when standing off would have been better and vice versa. They seemed to throw caution to the wind in the last ten minutes and just went toe to toe with Kerry and at that stage were able to put it up to them.

As disappointing as it was, these are the matches that Armagh need to be playing regularly to bring them on. There were a number of valuable lessons to be learned yesterday, and I really hope they are taken on board.   

I agree. We definitely have them too much respect and the game was lost in the first 20 minutes

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: balladmaker on March 21, 2022, 01:56:54 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 21, 2022, 01:32:10 PM
The final round of fixtures will be interesting and the relegation battle could well go down to the wire. One of either Dublin or Monaghan will get relegated with the other coming from Kildare, Tyrone or Donegal. Of these Tyrone have the most difficult fixture and I don't see them getting anything down in Killarney. Donegal will beat Armagh as I don't see geezer playing a strong lineup since this is a dress rehearsal for the Ulster championship match in a few weeks time.

I think Dublin will beat Monaghan which leaves Monaghan relegated and I think I am right in saying that if both Tyrone and Kildare get beaten then Kildare will be relegated on head to head results. The Mayo v Kildare match is probably the most difficult to predict however since I don't think Mayo will be overly bothered about getting to a League final.

The weird scenario whereby both Armagh and Mayo are beaten, means there are more than 2 teams on 7 points.  In this situation, scoring difference takes precedence over head to head ... Armagh currently have the best score difference of the runners in that equation, and could reach a league final despite losing their last two games, unless Kildare do a similar job on Mayo as they did on Monaghan ... strange indeed.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0321/1287492-nfl-permutations-all-to-play-for-across-four-divisions/

Yeah, it's great. Love the permutations. Could end up with a number of teams on 5 points if Mon-Dub draw and any of Tyrone, Donegal, Kildare lose. Dublin (-11) have a better scoring difference than Tyrone (-12). IF Donegal (-9) lose by 2 points they would be level with Dublin.

So if Dublin and Mon drew, Tyrone win and Donegal lose by 2, how do they determine who goes down? Does it go back to head to head between Dublin and Donegal?
Hasta la victoria siempre