NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average Score

Quote from: clubman21 on February 28, 2022, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: Average Score on February 28, 2022, 02:40:21 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on February 28, 2022, 01:19:55 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on February 28, 2022, 12:54:35 PM
Morgan being an outfield player for his club certainly makes him more confident on the ball.

How'd Armagh posters feel Ethan Rafferty went in goals. Hard to get a flavour from highlights alone.

Was at the game in Hyde Park.  Mayo never threatened on goal, nor have many teams against Armagh in the first 4 games of this league (with exception of a late Dublin goal), so Rafferty wasn't really tested from a pure goal keeping perspective.  He did however look very comfortable outfield as expected, and did add an extra dimension to Armagh's play.  He directly set up one score via Nugent that I thought had us on the road to winning it at that stage.  His kick-outs are longer than Blaine Hughes's as well, so added an extra dimension there too. All in all, a step forward in my view.

His kickouts were awful especially when he tried to go short, he was too slow, spent so long trying to balance the ball he missed runners all over the show, when he did manage to get set he was indecisive and lacked any confidence. If Blaine wasn't injured which he didn't look to be, he should be sorely aggrieved.
First post, welcome Blaine.

::)

Average Score

Quote from: yellowcard on February 28, 2022, 02:47:49 PM
Morgan being an outfield player for his club certainly makes him more confident on the ball.

How'd Armagh posters feel Ethan Rafferty went in goals. Hard to get a flavour from highlights alone.

Was at the game in Hyde Park.  Mayo never threatened on goal, nor have many teams against Armagh in the first 4 games of this league (with exception of a late Dublin goal), so Rafferty wasn't really tested from a pure goal keeping perspective.  He did however look very comfortable outfield as expected, and did add an extra dimension to Armagh's play.  He directly set up one score via Nugent that I thought had us on the road to winning it at that stage.  His kick-outs are longer than Blaine Hughes's as well, so added an extra dimension there too. All in all, a step forward in my view.

His kickouts were awful especially when he tried to go short, he was too slow, spent so long trying to balance the ball he missed runners all over the show, when he did manage to get set he was indecisive and lacked any confidence. If Blaine wasn't injured which he didn't look to be, he should be sorely aggrieved.

I wouldn't say they were awful but it does raise questions as to how much trust Geezer has in Hughes now when he is willing to put an outfield player in before him. Hughes has progressed steadily over the last few years but he had a difficult day out against Monaghan although conditions were horrendous on the night and Monaghan really squeezed up.  I would have stuck with Hughes and allow him to learn from the mistakes of that match. It has put unnecessary pressure onto the Armagh keeper now who will be under increased scrutiny in the next match.

I would disagree kick outs are a catalyst for a teams performance, Rafferty was slow and very indecisive, surprised Goldrick never hopped a few balls, I didn't have much confidence in him outfield either other than giving a free away.  It got to the stage at the end the Armagh Players wouldn't pass to him when he was running out I saw them turning and looking for a fellow orange jersey instead.  Morgan plays a fly keeper very well, Beggan now has he head up his own arse thinking he is better than he is outfield, Rafferty was a good forward a keeper we don't know as he hadn't a shot to save, a fly keeper he definitely aint.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hound on February 28, 2022, 08:45:29 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 27, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 27, 2022, 03:20:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 27, 2022, 03:07:34 PM
Dubs have been brutal up front
Totally.

We are missing 3 or our 4 best from for the FF line (Con, Costello and Small). The 4th, Rock, has been abysmal today and the other lads getting a run in the FF line are very meh.

Will any of those be back for the 13th in Omagh (asking for a friend)?  ;)

The Dubs don't give injury status announcements and the media don't seem to ask direct questions about Con etc in the pre or post match interviews.  Dessie did say there would be players returning for the next match, so I'd read that as at least 2 of Murchin, McCarthy, Con, Costello, Small.

Sláinte, and fair enough.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

yellowcard

Quote from: Average Score on February 28, 2022, 02:55:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 28, 2022, 02:47:49 PM

I wouldn't say they were awful but it does raise questions as to how much trust Geezer has in Hughes now when he is willing to put an outfield player in before him. Hughes has progressed steadily over the last few years but he had a difficult day out against Monaghan although conditions were horrendous on the night and Monaghan really squeezed up.  I would have stuck with Hughes and allow him to learn from the mistakes of that match. It has put unnecessary pressure onto the Armagh keeper now who will be under increased scrutiny in the next match.

I would disagree kick outs are a catalyst for a teams performance, Rafferty was slow and very indecisive, surprised Goldrick never hopped a few balls, I didn't have much confidence in him outfield either other than giving a free away.  It got to the stage at the end the Armagh Players wouldn't pass to him when he was running out I saw them turning and looking for a fellow orange jersey instead.  Morgan plays a fly keeper very well, Beggan now has he head up his own arse thinking he is better than he is outfield, Rafferty was a good forward a keeper we don't know as he hadn't a shot to save, a fly keeper he definitely aint.

I don't agree with the decision to try and convert a big, powerful midfield/forward into a goalkeeper and play him in a League match when our safety is not yet guaranteed. If we were safe from relegation then fine but he didn't play McKenna Cup so why then play him in his first game in goal in a division one League match. If we get beaten by Kildare we are sucked back into a relegation battle with two difficult games remaining.

oakleaflad

Saw a combined League table for all Divisions. Dublin rock bottom as the only county on 0 points. Despite all the talk of their forwards being poor, what struck me was their scores conceded. They're on 71 points conceded after 4 games, Kerry lead the way in this category in Div 1 with 46 points conceded, all other counties in the Division in the 50's. While defenders aren't necessarily solely at fault for this, it is something to look and question if a complete turnaround could be expected if/when a couple forwards come back into the side.

Jell 0 Biafra

Defence was a bit better this past day with Johnny Cooper starting.  With Murchan and McCarthy (hopefully) to come back, I would expect the defence to improve quite a bit come summer.  Bench is an issue though, and Cooper and McCarthy won't be around the squad for much longer, but this year should be OK.

yellowcard

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 28, 2022, 05:22:05 PM
Saw a combined League table for all Divisions. Dublin rock bottom as the only county on 0 points. Despite all the talk of their forwards being poor, what struck me was their scores conceded. They're on 71 points conceded after 4 games, Kerry lead the way in this category in Div 1 with 46 points conceded, all other counties in the Division in the 50's. While defenders aren't necessarily solely at fault for this, it is something to look and question if a complete turnaround could be expected if/when a couple forwards come back into the side.

I don't think it will, it is fairly clear that a rot has set in. The older players have won it all and will struggle to find fresh motivation to get back to the top of the hill unless they are able to challenge to win AI titles. I think many of their supporters are slightly bored of winning too and a relegation followed by a few years in the doldrums will do them and the game as a whole no harm. What nobody seen coming was the rapid fall from grace. It was as though they had teams psychologically beaten before a ball was thrown in up until 2020 but now that has evaporated completely.

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on February 28, 2022, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 28, 2022, 05:22:05 PM

I don't think it will, it is fairly clear that a rot has set in. The older players have won it all and will struggle to find fresh motivation to get back to the top of the hill unless they are able to challenge to win AI titles. I think many of their supporters are slightly bored of winning too and a relegation followed by a few years in the doldrums will do them and the game as a whole no harm. What nobody seen coming was the rapid fall from grace. It was as though they had teams psychologically beaten before a ball was thrown in up until 2020 but now that has evaporated completely.

I don't think it's anything to do with motivation. Their new players are just nowhere near as good as the players they're replacing. Look at the quality they've lost from that dominant team. McCaffrey, Mannion, McAuley, Connolly, Flynn, McMahon etc.  Look at the bench they had in that team. They also had a superb manager who had them impeccably organised. They're a complete shambles at the moment and don't seem to have a clue as to how to break down defences. There's no penetration there at all. Maybe when Ocallaghan and costello come back it'll help but even then they're just too far away at the moment.

twohands!!!

Even if Dublin get relegated the odds of them having a few years in the doldrums is vanishingly remote.

Odds are strong that they will bounce back up to Division 1 straight away if they do get relegated.

Given the strength of the other teams in Leinster, under the new championship structure they are pretty much guaranteed to be at worst the 2nd seed as provincial loser and much more likely be 1st seed for the Sam Maguire group stages. Over the next 2/3 years there will be bucketloads of games to develop their younger players.

Dublin are far more likely to follow the example of the Kerry and Kilkenny four in a row teams and pick up more All-Irelands than collapse into All-Ireland irrelevancy.

Once Dessie gets the bullet I think there will be a sharp, quick and marked improvement in matters.

The next manager doesn't need to be Gavin standard to turn things around - he just needs to be relatively competent.

Right now I would have Dublin favourites to win whatever division they are in next year and the All-Ireland.

yellowcard

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 28, 2022, 10:38:06 PM

Even if Dublin get relegated the odds of them having a few years in the doldrums is vanishingly remote.

Odds are strong that they will bounce back up to Division 1 straight away if they do get relegated.

Given the strength of the other teams in Leinster, under the new championship structure they are pretty much guaranteed to be at worst the 2nd seed as provincial loser and much more likely be 1st seed for the Sam Maguire group stages. Over the next 2/3 years there will be bucketloads of games to develop their younger players.

Dublin are far more likely to follow the example of the Kerry and Kilkenny four in a row teams and pick up more All-Irelands than collapse into All-Ireland irrelevancy.

Once Dessie gets the bullet I think there will be a sharp, quick and marked improvement in matters.

The next manager doesn't need to be Gavin standard to turn things around - he just needs to be relatively competent.

Right now I would have Dublin favourites to win whatever division they are in next year and the All-Ireland.

Personally I feel as though Kerry are set to dominate for the next few years. They have been the best side in the country for the last 2 years without winning an AI title but I think that is about to change. Dublin most certainly do not have the calibre of player that Kerry have coming through. I'd say it's more likely that Dublin return to their pre 2011 level for the next few seasons. They will lose another few players to retirement after this season as well.

smort

I'll not win any awards for saying this, but Mayo are very strong too. Very much changed, younger, stronger squad there now

mup

Quote from: hoynevalley on February 28, 2022, 08:49:59 PM
Quote from: mup on February 27, 2022, 05:40:58 PM
Delighted with that win. Rode our luck at times but ground it out. Not often we beat the Dubs so we'll enjoy it.
Even better to see some opposition fans raging over the loss. 🤣

I thought you didnt go to intercounty games? You have a dirty horn for the dubs going by all your posts. Why not enjoy the victory instead of your rage for the jackeens 🤣🤣🤣

I don't go to intercounty games. Where did I say I was there?

The Dubs are one of our biggest rivals who we haven't beaten in 22 years. So surely I'm entitled to my day in the sun. It might be another 22 years before we beat them again. I am enjoying the victory very much so I'm not raging at all. The opposite in fact.

Thank you for taking the time to ask though.

blanketattack

Quote from: mup on March 01, 2022, 11:12:50 AM
Quote from: hoynevalley on February 28, 2022, 08:49:59 PM
Quote from: mup on February 27, 2022, 05:40:58 PM
Delighted with that win. Rode our luck at times but ground it out. Not often we beat the Dubs so we'll enjoy it.
Even better to see some opposition fans raging over the loss. 🤣

I thought you didnt go to intercounty games? You have a dirty horn for the dubs going by all your posts. Why not enjoy the victory instead of your rage for the jackeens 🤣🤣🤣

I don't go to intercounty games. Where did I say I was there?

The Dubs are one of our biggest rivals who we haven't beaten in 22 years. So surely I'm entitled to my day in the sun. It might be another 22 years before we beat them again. I am enjoying the victory very much so I'm not raging at all. The opposite in fact.

Thank you for taking the time to ask though.

People getting very precious, giving out about Kildare celebrating a first win over Dublin in 22 years.
I remember Tyrone celebrating their win over Armagh in the 2005 semi-final like they won the All-Ireland.
Didn't stop them winning the All-Ireland.
Not saying Kildare will win the All-Ireland  :) , but whatever happens to them after this will have nothing to do with how they reacted to beating Dublin.

imtommygunn

it breaks that invincible aura for them so if they play in the championship they will maybe have a bit more belief about them. It doesn't mean they'll win in the championship but that win in the league has a lot of significance.

Armamike

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2022, 12:02:22 PM
it breaks that invincible aura for them so if they play in the championship they will maybe have a bit more belief about them. It doesn't mean they'll win in the championship but that win in the league has a lot of significance.

Correct.  This wins do have significance.  They build belief and confidence.
That's just, like your opinion man.