NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 28, 2022, 11:00:55 AM
Quote from: Armamike on February 28, 2022, 10:51:06 AM
Quote from: timmyot501 on February 28, 2022, 10:34:42 AM
It had to happen sometime.  Beggan would get caught out.  But it was the way it happened that he will be most sore about.  Hughes passed a half hearted ball to him and he waited on it.  Kerry nipped in and how Duffy was left one on one with Clifford with the whole half of the pitch wide open was criminal.  As hard as he tried there was only going to be one result.

It's been waiting to happen.  I'm not sure Monaghan or other teams will be just as keen to push their goalie as high up the pitch in a championship game. It's one thing the goalie playing as a sweeper but to see him solo up the pitch or look for a pass in the half forward line is a bit crazy.

It's not really that crazy if someone else covers back.

It's a ridiculous tactic, the pay off is very little and the risks are you concede a goal or a defender has to take a black or yellow to stop an attack. Lost kilmacud an all Ireland final a few weeks ago.

Milltown Row2

Was doing an Ulster club game yesterday in Armagh, the Monaghan team that was playing used their goalkeeper a lot, now he never really passed the 45 but was effective enough especially against the wind. Must be the rage in Monaghan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Cavan19

It had to happen sometime.  Beggan would get caught out.  But it was the way it happened that he will be most sore about.  Hughes passed a half hearted ball to him and he waited on it.  Kerry nipped in and how Duffy was left one on one with Clifford with the whole half of the pitch wide open was criminal.  As hard as he tried there was only going to be one result.

It's been waiting to happen.  I'm not sure Monaghan or other teams will be just as keen to push their goalie as high up the pitch in a championship game. It's one thing the goalie playing as a sweeper but to see him solo up the pitch or look for a pass in the half forward line is a bit crazy.

Maybe the person who would be covering back should be the one out the field looking for the ball and leave the goalkeeper in goals.

Armamike

What's the point of it then, if you're going to drop somebody back anyway?  It just creates unneccessary panic when the goalie gets caught out.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Hound

Quote from: Cavan19 on February 28, 2022, 11:27:04 AM

Maybe the person who would be covering back should be the one out the field looking for the ball and leave the goalkeeper in goals.

I think it's great fun and adds to the entertainment. But I wouldn't want to see the Dubs do it too much.

The one time the Kildare keeper got caught against us, there was a defender in the goals covering, but my thoughts at the time were exactly as you outlined - surely they'd be better with the defender driving up the field and the keeper covering the goal!

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Armamike on February 28, 2022, 12:00:23 PM

What's the point of it then, if you're going to drop somebody back anyway?  It just creates unneccessary panic when the goalie gets caught out.

I think the idea is to have a runner who's not automatically marked up, as in he's not got a direct opponent, giving the team an option going forward. He has got away with it so far but it is only a matter of time before someone closes him down and he looks like a goalie out the field. It's pointless if a player is having to cover all the time but at times it could give a defender a break while the keeper carries forward.

I think Morgan plays the role better, he doesn't take as many risks as others but does give the defence an outlet and imho he's better on the ball when he has it.

omagh_gael

Morgan being an outfield player for his club certainly makes him more confident on the ball.

How'd Armagh posters feel Ethan Rafferty went in goals. Hard to get a flavour from highlights alone.

Taylor

I dont mind Morgan coming out at all - always looks very assured & composed.
As OG says that would come from playing outfield.

Rafferty for Amragh set up a point last night going by the highlights.

Beggan just doesnt seem as comfortable on the ball one of the goals was because Hughes lost the ball I think.

Cavan19

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on February 28, 2022, 12:16:04 PM
Quote from: Armamike on February 28, 2022, 12:00:23 PM

I think the idea is to have a runner who's not automatically marked up, as in he's not got a direct opponent, giving the team an option going forward. He has got away with it so far but it is only a matter of time before someone closes him down and he looks like a goalie out the field. It's pointless if a player is having to cover all the time but at times it could give a defender a break while the keeper carries forward.

I think Morgan plays the role better, he doesn't take as many risks as others but does give the defence an outlet and imho he's better on the ball when he has it.

Both Morgan and Beggan are regularly out ahead of the defenders who are not even marking anyone as the opposition have 15 in there own half looking for the ball. I would agree that Morgan is better on the ball.

balladmaker

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 28, 2022, 12:54:35 PM
Morgan being an outfield player for his club certainly makes him more confident on the ball.

How'd Armagh posters feel Ethan Rafferty went in goals. Hard to get a flavour from highlights alone.

Was at the game in Hyde Park.  Mayo never threatened on goal, nor have many teams against Armagh in the first 4 games of this league (with exception of a late Dublin goal), so Rafferty wasn't really tested from a pure goal keeping perspective.  He did however look very comfortable outfield as expected, and did add an extra dimension to Armagh's play.  He directly set up one score via Nugent that I thought had us on the road to winning it at that stage.  His kick-outs are longer than Blaine Hughes's as well, so added an extra dimension there too.  All in all, a step forward in my view.

Average Score

Quote from: balladmaker on February 28, 2022, 01:19:55 PM

Was at the game in Hyde Park.  Mayo never threatened on goal, nor have many teams against Armagh in the first 4 games of this league (with exception of a late Dublin goal), so Rafferty wasn't really tested from a pure goal keeping perspective.  He did however look very comfortable outfield as expected, and did add an extra dimension to Armagh's play.  He directly set up one score via Nugent that I thought had us on the road to winning it at that stage.  His kick-outs are longer than Blaine Hughes's as well, so added an extra dimension there too. All in all, a step forward in my view.

His kickouts were awful especially when he tried to go short, he was too slow, spent so long trying to balance the ball he missed runners all over the show, when he did manage to get set he was indecisive and lacked any confidence. If Blaine wasn't injured which he didn't look to be, he should be sorely aggrieved.   

yellowcard

Beggan really needs to cut out or rein back on the roaming up the pitch as the risk outweighs the reward. He arguably cost his side all 3 goals yesterday. The first goal he was either too slow coming off his line or simply wasn't brave enough, the second was his error in waiting for the ball and getting caught upfield whilst the third he was lobbed by O'Shea from about 25 metres. He can be thankful it only happened in a League match and one they probably wouldn't have won regardless.

naka

The keeper was fine for his first game .
Definitely two points lost with silly turnovers by Armagh.
The free at the end  by Rian was one that should have been worked in to closer in front of the goals .
All in all though a good game of football .

clubman21

Quote from: Average Score on February 28, 2022, 02:40:21 PM

Was at the game in Hyde Park.  Mayo never threatened on goal, nor have many teams against Armagh in the first 4 games of this league (with exception of a late Dublin goal), so Rafferty wasn't really tested from a pure goal keeping perspective.  He did however look very comfortable outfield as expected, and did add an extra dimension to Armagh's play.  He directly set up one score via Nugent that I thought had us on the road to winning it at that stage.  His kick-outs are longer than Blaine Hughes's as well, so added an extra dimension there too. All in all, a step forward in my view.

His kickouts were awful especially when he tried to go short, he was too slow, spent so long trying to balance the ball he missed runners all over the show, when he did manage to get set he was indecisive and lacked any confidence. If Blaine wasn't injured which he didn't look to be, he should be sorely aggrieved.
First post, welcome Blaine.

yellowcard

Quote from: Average Score on February 28, 2022, 02:40:21 PM

I wouldn't say they were awful but it does raise questions as to how much trust Geezer has in Hughes now when he is willing to put an outfield player in before him. Hughes has progressed steadily over the last few years but he had a difficult day out against Monaghan although conditions were horrendous on the night and Monaghan really squeezed up.  I would have stuck with Hughes and allow him to learn from the mistakes of that match. It has put unnecessary pressure onto the Armagh keeper now who will be under increased scrutiny in the next match.