Waterford v Kerry Munster SFC

Started by Kerry Mike, May 29, 2007, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

I know its of little interest to most of ye, but the All Ireland Champions set out in chase of that elusive 2 in a row on Sunday. Live on TV as well I believe.

This time last year Waterford made a good game of it for about 50 mins with Kerry eventually pulling away and winning 16 pts to 8pts.

Sunday will be Pat O'Shea's first championship outing and it will be interesting to see how we come out of the blocks, last year the Munster campaign was a disaster for Kerry, the first time ever I believe they failed to score a goal. The heads were not right and I just wonder do we have the hunger for the long summer ahead. Winning Munster has to be the first target.

Kerry manager Pat O'Shea reports no injury worries ahead of Sunday's Munster SFC semi-final against Waterford in Dungarvan.

Midfielder Tommy Griffin, who had been an injury doubt, proved his fitness by coming through a club game for Dingle last weekend, and is expected to renew his successful partnership with Darragh O Se.

Footballer of the Year Kieran Donaghy and Killian Young have been taking a full part in training in recent weeks and will also be contention for starting places. Donaghy is expected to start at full forward where he will be flanked by Colm Cooper and Mike Frank Russell.

Team probably named tomorrow.

Waterford named an unchanged team last night.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

I'd expect a line up of something along the lines of the following , but there is a large panel to pick from so its really a guess.

Diarmuid Murphy
Marc O'Se
Tom O'Sullivan
Padraig Reidy
Tomas O'Se
Aidan O'Mahony
Killian Young
Tommy Griffin
Darragh O'Se
Bryan Sheehan
Eoin Brosnan
Paul Galvin
Mike Frank Russell
Kieran Donaghy
Colm Cooper
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

why is this on TV???

This is like televising a public execution.

cavan4ever

They though it was going to be Kerry V Clare and Paudi but Waterford didn't read the script !!

mannix

Its like televising david versus goliath but goliath has a couple of handy forwards.
This is not entertainment by any means, I would imagine there are a few kerry clubs that would beat waterford.

darbyo

QuoteI would imagine there are a few kerry clubs that would beat waterford

Well considering two Waterford clubs nearly won the Munster club football championship in the last 3 years I'd say that's well off the mark. Waterford have beaten Cavan, Sligo and Clare in the past 15 months or so, won the U-21 in 2003(I think),beating a team coached by Jack O'Connor and with the Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan on the team. They also lost to Limerick in the final of 2001, an U-21 team that backboned the Limerick senior teams that were unlucky not to win a senior Munster title. Despite what some obviously think football is widely played in Waterford and is pretty strong. Infact if football was stronger in the city, Waterford may well be more of a football county than a hurling one since football is at least as widely played outside the city.

AZOffaly

OK darbyo,

Given all that, which is true of course, do you expect Waterford to be within 10 points of Kerry come 6 o'clock Sunday evening?

I don't.

TBT

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2007, 05:01:02 PM
why is this on TV???

This is like televising a public execution.

KK Offaly will be the execution.
If Cody has them frothing at the mouth KK will be 30+ pts clear by the end.

deiseach

Quote from: darbyo on May 29, 2007, 06:15:30 PM
Despite what some obviously think football is widely played in Waterford and is pretty strong. Infact if football was stronger in the city, Waterford may well be more of a football county than a hurling one since football is at least as widely played outside the city.

I've never quite understood why we're so poor at football given the vibrant football championship we have in Waterford. it's certainly far more competitive than the hurling championship.

Given the fright-of-sorts Kerry got last year, I doubt they'll be blasé enough to be caught out. They might even give us a good shoeing for having the temerity to get notions above our station. Whatever happens, the winner will be wearing jerseys originating in Waterford!

dodo

Micilín must use the same advertising gurus that come up with the toy advertisement campaigns  :-\.

magickingdom

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2007, 06:32:43 PM
OK darbyo,

Given all that, which is true of course, do you expect Waterford to be within 10 points of Kerry come 6 o'clock Sunday evening?

I don't.

dont take that bet with the charity bet az ;). dont see 10 points in it at all. in spite of waterfords improvement in recent years i can only see a kerry win. deiseach point about the vibrant football championship that they have in waterford is well made but can be repeated for many counties thro out ireland eg cavan.. why dont they do as well in the county scene? imo the system in place and dedication...

AZOffaly

As for Offaly Kilkenny, yes, I hope to jaysus that's not on telly either. It'll be bad enough to be there.

Of course I live in hope that we can cause an upset, but the TV schedulers shouldn't be putting games like that on in the hope that something mad happens, as it only happens every so often.

darbyo

Sorry AZ I've been away since I last posted, to answer your question I agree with you, I think Kerry will probably win quite easily. But many people come on here posting about the values of the GAA, the arguements about tickets for the Dublin/Meath/Wicklow/Louth game being on of them. Waterford V Kerry will probably be one of the poorest contests of the whole championship and will have little interest for the general GAA public let alone the general sporting public but Waterford deserve there day in the sun. There isn't much to inspire lads to give up their time to play county football in Waterford, next Sunday will be one small victory for Waterford footballing folk regardless of the result. Any GAA man should at least understand that.
                   On the reasons why Waterford (and some other counties) aren't more successful, a lack of dedication isn't one of them IMO. While they probably don't put in the same effort as the Kerry's of this world that is because there aren't the same rewards available. If a Waterford team put in the exact same effort on and off the field as a Kerry or Tyrone team then the Waterford lads dedication to the game would infact be far inexcess of the Kerry or Tyrone boys.

AZOffaly

QuoteAny GAA man should at least understand that.

I agree completely, and am all for lesser counties appearing on TV in the early rounds of the competitions, or if they progress beyond expectation to Provincial finals, AI QFs etc etc, but I cannot see how this wil be a 'day in the sun' for Waterford. I don't think them running out, and getting a scutching off Kerry in Dungarvan will do anything for them personally, for Gaelic football nationally, and especially for Gaelic football in Waterford.

I would have loved to have seen Waterford and Clare on TV. Two well matched teams, in a championship game both could have expectations of winning.

darbyo

Fair enough AZ and I do agree with all your points but your dismissing Waterfords ability to even make the game semi competitive which I think is a bit harsh. Furthermore between clashes with more attractive games and the possibility that Waterford may not win a first round game for another few years I think they desreve it now. It won't do anything for football in Waterford but I think it will mean a lot to those who have toiled away for football in the county and that IMO is reason enough.