Joe Brolly has discussion with Jamie Bryson

Started by imtommygunn, October 31, 2021, 06:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 27, 2021, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 26, 2021, 08:17:25 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 26, 2021, 01:35:39 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 24, 2021, 08:44:43 PM
The controversy is all in Baile Brigin's head.

"totally lost it"  ;D , by Joe's standards he's just shooting the breeze on Virgin Media Sport and actually talking some sense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/video-huge-reaction-as-joe-brolly-accuses-people-in-republic-of-ireland-of-inaction-as-troubles-unfolded-41180649.html
Perhaps your research as usual stopped after reading the BT headline. The twitter comments to the linked VM video  are in the main  strongly supportive of the bold Joe's comments.

Sigh.

Brolly casused a debate. A discussion. His claims were disputed. The Indo ran a similar story.

You really don't get the whole chat board concept do you?
Eh?  perhaps I am confusing you with the poster similarily name Baile Brigin who posted the idiotic hysterical comment  "He (Joe) has totally lost it" 

Main Street

Quote from: FermGael on December 27, 2021, 10:32:20 PM
Bernadette McAliskey giving a few uncomfortable home truths on the Tommy Tiernan show.

He is an excellent presenter
Baile Brigín would probably disagree and claim Bernadette "has totally lost it" when she shared similar sentiments to what Joe expressed,  but in truth  most likely BB  hasn't a clue about Bernadette.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on December 27, 2021, 10:47:58 PM

"totally lost it"  ;D , by Joe's standards he's just shooting the breeze on Virgin Media Sport and actually talking some sense.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/video-huge-reaction-as-joe-brolly-accuses-people-in-republic-of-ireland-of-inaction-as-troubles-unfolded-41180649.html
Perhaps your research as usual stopped after reading the BT headline. The twitter comments to the linked VM video  are in the main  strongly supportive of the bold Joe's comments.

Sigh.

Brolly casused a debate. A discussion. His claims were disputed. The Indo ran a similar story.

Eh?  perhaps I am confusing you with the poster similarily name Baile Brigin who posted the idiotic hysterical comment  "He (Joe) has totally lost it"

You patronised me by saying there is no discussion being had. Queue 10 pages of discussion.

In my experience there are a range of attitudes down here about the conflict in the north east. But literally nobody, not even the Harris's of the world, claimed the nationalist population brought it on themselves. If he genuinely believes that he is absolutely bewildered. But he isn't an idiot. So he knows he is talking shite but did so anyway. To me that puts him in the nutter bracket. Ergo lost it.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on December 28, 2021, 12:02:25 AM
Quote from: FermGael on December 27, 2021, 10:32:20 PM
Bernadette McAliskey giving a few uncomfortable home truths on the Tommy Tiernan show.

He is an excellent presenter
Baile Brigín would probably disagree and claim Bernadette "has totally lost it" when she shared similar sentiments to what Joe expressed,  but in truth  most likely BB  hasn't a clue about Bernadette.

Didn't see it, but did she claim we think you deserve what you got up there?

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 27, 2021, 03:54:02 PM
Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 27, 2021, 03:26:22 PM
Quote from: red hander on December 27, 2021, 02:17:48 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 27, 2021, 01:34:52 PM
Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 27, 2021, 12:57:13 PM
Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on December 26, 2021, 10:28:36 PM
There's wrong'uns everywhere. I spent time living in Munster and a very prominent County footballer give me awful abuse throughout the game. F**k off back to UK you British c**t etc for large elements of the game. And I mean repetitive over and over. We got well beat on the day but I held him scoreless from play so I was happy enough...I actually clipped him at the end when he said something one time too many...the other corner forward came over and told him he deserved it!

Long story short, my whole experience living in the south was filled with the exact thing Joe is talking about. Absolutely clueless with no idea what has happened in the North. It was so infuriating.

If your last paragraph proves anything it proves that the British policy of divide and conquer works a treat

We in the south don't understand you lot and you have more in common with your Unionist neighbours than you have with anyone from the South

A United Ireland is a faint hope

Pure horseshit. Its a long way from Dan Breen you've fallen.

Breen and Treacy would be spinning in their graves with this boy.

If there were any Breens or Treacy's in Tyrone at that time

You lot wouldn't be part of the British State today

17% of the Tipperary population in the IRA less than 5% in Tyrone

Why did the South abandon us whinge the nordies neglecting the fact  that their Grandparents and great grandparents hid under the bed 100 years ago

If Munster had been closer geographically,

we might have saved ye

And you lot are still MOPEing today
Saved ye ;D
You ran away when shit hit the fan and sold out. In typical Tipperary fashion

Boo hoo

If ye lot were any use the likes of Tyrone would be in the Republic but it ain't and it's everyone's fault bar your own and what went before you.

Couldnt get the Brits out of your county during the war of independence

Couldn't get them out during the troubles

Still part of Britain with the scraps of devolution thrown at ye and ye happy with it

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 28, 2021, 01:04:44 AM
There's wrong'uns everywhere. I spent time living in Munster and a very prominent County footballer give me awful abuse throughout the game. F**k off back to UK you British c**t etc for large elements of the game. And I mean repetitive over and over. We got well beat on the day but I held him scoreless from play so I was happy enough...I actually clipped him at the end when he said something one time too many...the other corner forward came over and told him he deserved it!

Long story short, my whole experience living in the south was filled with the exact thing Joe is talking about. Absolutely clueless with no idea what has happened in the North. It was so infuriating.

If your last paragraph proves anything it proves that the British policy of divide and conquer works a treat

We in the south don't understand you lot and you have more in common with your Unionist neighbours than you have with anyone from the South

Why did the South abandon us whinge the nordies neglecting the fact  that their Grandparents and great grandparents hid under the bed 100 years ago

we might have saved ye

Saved ye ;D

Boo hoo

If ye lot were any use the likes of Tyrone would be in the Republic but it ain't and it's everyone's fault bar your own and what went before you.

Still part of Britain with the scraps of devolution thrown at ye and ye happy with it
You've just proved my point.
You couldn't get them out during the war of independence or the troubles because you ran away and were happy with part of the country ran by the brits. Sell outs, typical of the Munster men.
And this isn't Britain, it's clear you didn't go to your geography classes.

ardtole

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 28, 2021, 12:03:14 AM
Quote from: Main Street on December 27, 2021, 10:47:58 PM

Sigh.

You patronised me by saying there is no discussion being had. Queue 10 pages of discussion.

In my experience there are a range of attitudes down here about the conflict in the north east. But literally nobody, not even the Harris's of the world, claimed the nationalist population brought it on themselves. If he genuinely believes that he is absolutely bewildered. But he isn't an idiot. So he knows he is talking shite but did so anyway. To me that puts him in the nutter bracket. Ergo lost it.

Regina Doherty made a very similar statement in a debate with Gerry Adams 6 or 7 years ago on lmfm. She made it clear where she thought the blame for the conflict lay. It was a difficult listen.

Milltown Row2

we might have saved ye

Saved ye ;D

Boo hoo

State of this post
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

There are 2 ways to manage a territory with a significant regional minority .

1. Unified with high regional autonomy
2. Partitioned

The national territory was partitioned against the wishes of Unionists and Nationalists in 1920. Tyrone and Fermanagh were thrown in for free. There was no vote.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"
Mencken.

North Down and Antrim were more developed than the South.

Grace Neill's pub in Donaghdee has a photo from a century ago. Nobody was wearing tracksuits.

Post 1920 the Unionists ran NI as a separate country that was not Irish. They ran an ethnography with systematic injustice against Nationalists.

The UK was at the time richer than the South. In the 50s even Crossmaglen Republicans appreciated the NHS although they felt uncomfortable.
Dublin had zero leverage.

Until the system collapsed into civil war in 1969.

Sunningdale, the Anglo Irish Agreement and the GFA all had significant Dublin input.

The last 50 years have featured the slow dripping away of Unionist power in favour of Dublin influence. The GFA was described as Sunningdale for slow learners by Séamus Mallon.

Over the same time period the Northern economy faded and was overtaken by the Southern economy. 

The institutions of the Southern state  including the LLS are partitionist.  So are the papers. This is not a law of nature. The people aren't necessarily.
The national territory is still divided.

This is a very long game.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Silver hill

we might have saved ye

Saved ye ;D

Boo hoo

Either you're taking the piss or you haven't the brains you were born with?
Anyone with even the slightest grasp of Irish history knows that the sovereignty of the population of the 6 counties was carved out in a botched job in London 100 years ago with an attitude seemingly of half a loaf being better than none. That Treaty ensured misery and servitude would be the experience of Nationalists at the behest of the unionist majority. 50 years of gerrymandering, sectarianism in the workplace and zero investment resulted in Nationalists being forced to get the foot off their throats and the Civil Rights movement was born. Further oppression from the Establishment to keep the croppies down resulted in the emergence of the provisional IRA and the conflict that ensued for 30+ years thereafter.
To read your comments this morning about the plight of your fellow countryman in the 6 counties makes me feel ashamed to be an Irishman.

johnnycool

Joe speaks of his experiences and TBH mine would be similar from my earliest forrays to Clare and Wexford in National Feiles and Cork for a Prince concert in the park as a 16yo. Certain things stick out.

I remember one of our coaches in the U14's saying that the way the opposition was going on they must have thought our hurls could fire bullets.. They were scared shitless of us and we didn't have any manchilds on our team like BCB, the following year in Clare one of the players was asked to leave a house as he was a druggie. Turned out he'd used his inhaler for Asthma. The host parents duly apologised after but in hindsight it showed where their mind was in relation to us savages coming down to quiet rural Clare and Wexford and us from the sticks too..

I'd a girl in Cork ask me why those IRA terrorists were shooting and bombing the British Army who were there only to keep the peace, any chance of a shift was gone right there and then...

I've had opposite experiences as well, mostly with Tipp people in fairness and an old lad from Connemara where they'd be more sympathetic or enlightened. Once when staying at a bnb on the templemore road in Thurles for a Munster final, it was owned by a Garda and his wife and the guard sat with us for breakfast and told of his experiences of being stationed near the border in Monaghan the time of the foot and mouth outbreak and what he'd heard of Billy Wright, the Fultons and their uninterrupted murder campaign against innocent Catholics and his parting words as we headed off to Tom Semples field suggested Joe hit the nail on the head "Sure those f**kers in RTE tell the people down here f**k all!"

Kilruane McDonaghs were the first club to ever come North for a tournament we used to run as it was hard to even get Dublin clubs to come in the 90's. Nenagh and Lorrha were also up so I'll always give the Tipp lads more of a by ball that way even if Babs Keating was put out of a Down hurlers dressing room by Sean McGuinness back in the day  ;D

tippmaninlaois

https://twitter.com/csblenner/status/1475161417263292417?s=21

"Virtually all the debate on the reunification of Ireland centres on how we integrate the 800k PUL citizens in NI and how we absorb a region that's been in economic freefall for decades. But Joe Brolly's dubious claims suggest the integration of republicans as another snag."

As proven by the vast majority of northern comments on here

They have more in common with their unionist neighbours and despise the south

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: seafoid on December 28, 2021, 09:26:29 AM
There are 2 ways to manage a territory with a significant regional minority .

1. Unified with high regional autonomy
2. Partitioned

The national territory was partitioned against the wishes of Unionists and Nationalists in 1920. Tyrone and Fermanagh were thrown in for free. There was no vote.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"
Mencken.

North Down and Antrim were more developed than the South.

Grace Neill's pub in Donaghdee has a photo from a century ago. Nobody was wearing tracksuits.

Post 1920 the Unionists ran NI as a separate country that was not Irish. They ran an ethnography with systematic injustice against Nationalists.

The UK was at the time richer than the South. In the 50s even Crossmaglen Republicans appreciated the NHS although they felt uncomfortable.
Dublin had zero leverage.

Until the system collapsed into civil war in 1969.

Sunningdale, the Anglo Irish Agreement and the GFA all had significant Dublin input.

The last 50 years have featured the slow dripping away of Unionist power in favour of Dublin influence. The GFA was described as Sunningdale for slow learners by Séamus Mallon.

Over the same time period the Northern economy faded and was overtaken by the Southern economy. 

The institutions of the Southern state  including the LLS are partitionist.  So are the papers. This is not a law of nature. The people aren't necessarily.
The national territory is still divided.

This is a very long game.

For those who seem to believe that the Republic is any way comparable to what they have in NI

A few simple facts

NI currently has a population 36% of the Republics

1.1920 2 counties Down and Antrim had 80% of the total economic output of the Island, today the total NI economic output is 8% of this islands output.

If NI was in any fit state economically, it would be contributing a third or more.

2.The Size of the Republics economy is €400bn odd, the size of NI's is £40bn odd

NI's economy should be treble what it is, £120bn odd

3.Exports

ROI total exports €160bn odd,2020 up 8% on 2019

NI total exports £7bn odd

the reality is that the increase in the Republic exports between 2019 and 2020 is greater than NI total exports tells its own story.

4.Cross Border pre 2021 Exports by value

34% NI exports to the Republic

1% ROI exports to NI

I could go on and on with examples as regards the disparity in wages, educational attainment, quality of life, life expectancy, even social welfare benefits which seems to a preoccupation of some from NI and the likes of gay rights and abortion rights but I wont.

I'm sure the sainted northern NHS will be thrown at me as an example of where NI is better the Republic, but when you look at the thousands on waiting lists up there, it kinda dilutes that claim too.

The reality is that the Republic is a free open and tolerant European country, the North ain't and maybe that's why most nordies on here resent it so much

johnnycool

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 28, 2021, 11:57:29 AM
https://twitter.com/csblenner/status/1475161417263292417?s=21

"Virtually all the debate on the reunification of Ireland centres on how we integrate the 800k PUL citizens in NI and how we absorb a region that's been in economic freefall for decades. But Joe Brolly's dubious claims suggest the integration of republicans as another snag."

As proven by the vast majority of northern comments on here

They have more in common with their unionist neighbours and despise the south

I think it's more nuanced than that.

Northerners of my vintage and older probably take exception to how we were portrayed by the ruling elites, the media, print, television and radio in Dublin mostly, the church with the honourable exception of Cardinal Ó Fiaich not the ordinary Joe who wanted to make a living for his family in deepest Cloughjordan or the likes.

Scannal showed a documentary of the "dispute" at Holycross Primary school 20 years after the event and seeing some of the responses from the likes of Anthony Daly on twitter almost incredulous that this happened as if he was unaware of it when it was actually happening..

The Southern public were deliberately kept in the dark and fed a "one is bad as the other line" for fear of offending the unionists in the north and the London government I presume..