Formula one

Started by RedHand88, December 12, 2021, 02:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Would allowing all the lapped cars to overtake have made a difference? Surely it would still be a case of Verstappen being right behind Hamilton for the last lap?

David McKeown

Quote from: gallsman on December 12, 2021, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 12, 2021, 03:10:31 PM
Far from a Hamilton fan but that ending was a disgrace. Championship decided in the board room. Rules bent or ignore at the whim of the director. Verstappen not even acknowledging Hamilton post race says a lot about him too. It may be entertaining but it's not sport.

Of course be acknowledged him. Stop talking shite.

If he did I didn't hear it in his initial post race interview. He thanked his team, celebrated his win, thanked Perez and made a comment about finally getting lucky. That said I've been wrong before and no doubt will again so I will try to track down the interview to see if I missed it.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thebigfella

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 12, 2021, 04:33:04 PM
Would allowing all the lapped cars to overtake have made a difference? Surely it would still be a case of Verstappen being right behind Hamilton for the last lap?

Yes as it would have meant last lap would have started under the safety car while the rest of the cars untapped themselves.

David McKeown

Quote from: thebigfella on December 12, 2021, 04:40:32 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 12, 2021, 04:33:04 PM

Yes as it would have meant last lap would have started under the safety car while the rest of the cars untapped themselves.

Yes it would have been the end of the race. Even without allowing the other cars to unlap themselves the race by rule should still have finished under the safety car.

The bigger issue in this may well be that (at least as far as I can see) how you deal with such an egregious error doesn't seem to be set out in the rules. I think that may be why Mercedes have rather speculatively also accused Verstappen of passing under a safety car for which there is a penalty. I imagine this will end up in the courts which is not what anyone wanted.

RedHand88

Mercedes have brought a barrister to the race.

GJL

Racing should be won on the tarmac, as it was. The last lap was epic. Protesting after is pathetic and hopefully will be fruitless.

Verstappen deserves the Championship over the course of the year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on December 12, 2021, 05:09:06 PM
Racing should be won on the tarmac, as it was. The last lap was epic. Protesting after is pathetic and hopefully will be fruitless.

There has been races in the past that have been overturned after the race, this is no different if there was a breach, I don't care who wins, as for who deserves it, they were level on points going into the last day. So it's difficult to say who deserved it over the season.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Nanderson

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2021, 05:15:24 PM

There has been races in the past that have been overturned after the race, this is no different if there was a breach, I don't care who wins, as for who deserves it, they were level on points going into the last day. So it's difficult to say who deserved it over the season.
Level on points doesn't matter when Max was ahead in the tiebreaker which is race wins

RadioGAAGAA

Two eminently dislikeable pricks.

Hard to decide which I'd rather won.

In terms of this, Masi has screwed up. But its not as if they can run off the last two laps, and I'm not sure there is the scope for calling the race 2 laps early.

I'd expect this lies well outside any prescribed regulations for arbitration.
i usse an speelchekor

David McKeown

If it had have been decided on the Tarmac like it should have then Hamilton would likely have won comfortably. Massi's decision gave Red Bull, a free pit stop, let them close a gap they didn't look like closing otherwise and then removed the obstacle of having to pass 5 other cars like the race leader had already done. If he had even indicated in advance that he was going to ignore the rules then Mercedes may have reacted differently and it may have been a fairer fight at the end but he didn't.  This was most certainly not decided on the tarmac.

Orior

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 12, 2021, 05:39:42 PM

In terms of this, Masi has screwed up. But its not as if they can run off the last two laps, and I'm not sure there is the scope for calling the race 2 laps early.

Rubbish. Two great sportsmen at the top of their game.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nanderson on December 12, 2021, 05:35:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2021, 05:15:24 PM

Level on points doesn't matter when Max was ahead in the tiebreaker which is race wins

I get that, but there has been championship winners with less race wins ( I think) , so who's deserving?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Orior on December 12, 2021, 05:50:31 PM

Two of the very best I have seen in nearly 40 years of watching F1.

A brilliant season that has people interested who never were before. Great for the sport.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Orior on December 12, 2021, 05:50:31 PM

Being two great drivers (and they aren't great sportsmen - although arguably very few great drivers are so hard to hold that against them) does not stop them being two dislikeable pricks.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

The Netflix show on formula one has allowed the non racing fans a chance to get inside the teams and drivers, which shows their personalities.

I've two friends who have gone formula one crazy off the back of it, they've booked a holiday around a race and will go VIP too!