20 years of the PSNI

Started by Truth hurts, November 02, 2021, 09:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Let's be honest, there'll be a pile looking compensation that this leak wouldn't have affected anyway

AustinPowers

Quote from: NAG1 on August 14, 2023, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 14, 2023, 01:14:37 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 14, 2023, 12:52:59 PM
So it now appears that the dissidents do have the data from this leak last week. I would imagine that the PSNI will be hit with a avalanche of sick leave, and resignations. I doubt any Catholic would consider joining now. I don't know what this will mean for law and order in the north.

Years of trying desperately to coax catholics in, and then even trying to employ more west of the bann and get more catholics in by proxy. All undone by one mistake. Who from Tyrone/Derry/Armagh is going to want the job now, considering they're paid buttons? It's a complete disaster.

Not like this info is anything that the dissidents didnt already have or could have got access too anyway. But it is just the volume and the extremely public nature of it now.

I can see some leaving, a lot going on the sick and the whole force looking for some sort of compensation. Going to be a nightmare to sort out.

Maybe they'll  have to bring back  the British army ?

Something doesn't  smell right about   this whole thing   though. As you say , dissidents  probably have  information as it is.  And I mean , what have  dissidents really done in the last decade?  That omagh shooting  involved republicans AND  loyalists,  did it not?

Milltown Row2

To be fair, if you entered the PSNI either as an office worker or frontline cop on the back of SF backing the cops, you'd have every right to be wary of dissidents blowing you up and your families lives would have mental stress going about their everyday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

markl121

Sam McBride on rte radio 1 this morning talking about how many officers have come to him regarding sectarianism within the psni, and how anti catholic chat is commonplace. many of those cops were looking out anyway this has accelerated it. Let's be real, the leak isn't going to affect protestant cops.

Brendan

Another data breach, a cop drove off with a notebook and laptop on the roof of the car. We criticise the police and get the usual "who would you go to if you were the victim of a crime", always responded I just wouldn't bother because they are completely inept and more and more stories come out to just reinforce that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Brendan on August 18, 2023, 01:11:43 PM
Another data breach, a cop drove off with a notebook and laptop on the roof of the car. We criticise the police and get the usual "who would you go to if you were the victim of a crime", always responded I just wouldn't bother because they are completely inept and more and more stories come out to just reinforce that

Data breaches in England the other day, so I wouldn't solely put the PSNI down as useless, there must be plenty of these breaches going on, but If I'm a victim of crime I aint going to the local kneecappers/drug dealers to solve a crime!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 18, 2023, 01:20:33 PM
Quote from: Brendan on August 18, 2023, 01:11:43 PM

Data breaches in England the other day, so I wouldn't solely put the PSNI down as useless, there must be plenty of these breaches going on, but If I'm a victim of crime I aint going to the local kneecappers/drug dealers to solve a crime!

Sweet jesus, if I was to take my work laptop home and whilst getting into the car left it on the roof I'd be laughed out of the place as a stupid cĂșnt

Applesisapples

Am I alone as a moderate nationalist, being concerned at the current direction in policing. I have good friends who are catholic PSNI officers. They allude to a culture within the force that is still in some part sectarian and anti-catholic. I have always felt that it would take time and an effort on all sides to move this on. However current events and the fact that only 26% of officers are NI born catholics is dismaying. In my view the fault here in part lies within our own community, we still are lukewarm in our acceptance of police and they have not become embedded in the community in the way that the Gardai are. The church, GAA and both main nationalist parties need to be doing more to address this. but the PSNI need to look at themselves as well. On joining the police a catholic officer is invariably advised to leave his community and live in a safe (unionist usually) area. They give up all that makes us Irish, the parish, family and the GAA. That is a barrier to recruiting Catholics. Police stations are still festooned with poppies and commemorations to the RUC. Whilst these need to have a space in fairness, it should not be in your face. The Federation in its badge and utterances is unionist in inclination, in spite of Liam Kelly, who like the turncoat has too much to prove. The nationalist community needs to encourage our young people to join, we need to make an effort to have them live in the community and be less qualified in our support. Mistakes were made at the Sean Graham's commemoration but there was a crowd there at a time when I had to wave a the hearse of family members as it passed my street because we couldn't attend the funeral and from what I saw they were not socially distant. Given that the disciplinary action was rescinded, you would wonder why the court case was taken.
I want the PSNI to succeed, there are many fine officers from both tradition doing a good job, the majority in fact. But policing is still too politicised and we are as guilty as the unionists. Time for change on all sides.

Caesar

This hits the nail on the head. As nationalists we should striving to promote equality within the police service, not 'resisting' it. What is to be gained by preserving a police force institutionally biased against the nationalist community?

(this is not an endorsement of the PSNI as it is today, but an aspiration for what it should be in future)

imtommygunn

Dissidents are by far the biggest issue I would say. The Peadar Totten and Ronan Kerr incidents would influence this a lot I think. A catholic in the psni seems to be their kind of target.

I know blue lights was fiction but the story about the girl in the psni would probably be accurate enough I would imagine where she moved out and stopped playing camogie.

RedHand88

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 04, 2023, 03:27:39 PM
Simon Byrne has resigned.

Yep, and can't be replaced until the DUP bring the assembly back.

I wonder what is happening inside the PSNI! Are the RUC old guard pushing back on changes going by come of those stepping forward saying there's issues internally with management.

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 04, 2023, 03:27:39 PM
Simon Byrne has resigned.

Good and not good, cause which other incompetent shithead will replace him? But he was in over his head. No understanding of policing in NI.

naka

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 01, 2023, 12:13:55 PM
Am I alone as a moderate nationalist, being concerned at the current direction in policing. I have good friends who are catholic PSNI officers. They allude to a culture within the force that is still in some part sectarian and anti-catholic. I have always felt that it would take time and an effort on all sides to move this on. However current events and the fact that only 26% of officers are NI born catholics is dismaying. In my view the fault here in part lies within our own community, we still are lukewarm in our acceptance of police and they have not become embedded in the community in the way that the Gardai are. The church, GAA and both main nationalist parties need to be doing more to address this. but the PSNI need to look at themselves as well. On joining the police a catholic officer is invariably advised to leave his community and live in a safe (unionist usually) area. They give up all that makes us Irish, the parish, family and the GAA. That is a barrier to recruiting Catholics. Police stations are still festooned with poppies and commemorations to the RUC. Whilst these need to have a space in fairness, it should not be in your face. The Federation in its badge and utterances is unionist in inclination, in spite of Liam Kelly, who like the turncoat has too much to prove. The nationalist community needs to encourage our young people to join, we need to make an effort to have them live in the community and be less qualified in our support. Mistakes were made at the Sean Graham's commemoration but there was a crowd there at a time when I had to wave a the hearse of family members as it passed my street because we couldn't attend the funeral and from what I saw they were not socially distant. Given that the disciplinary action was rescinded, you would wonder why the court case was taken.
I want the PSNI to succeed, there are many fine officers from both tradition doing a good job, the majority in fact. But policing is still too politicised and we are as guilty as the unionists. Time for change on all sides.
the issue though is that all nationalists aspire towards a 32 county entity so de facto its actually hard to sell joining the psni because its part of the maintenace of the status quo . ( and the money is crap)

Eire90

wont really effect anyones lives.