Premier League 2021-22

Started by Boycey, July 12, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: thewobbler on February 08, 2022, 07:33:24 AM
Quote from: shark on February 07, 2022, 05:46:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2022, 04:31:09 PM
Study by Switzerland-based independent research group CIES Football Observatory on net spend on transfers from 2012.

1. Manchester United €1.075bn (€1.545bn on transfers, less €470m back in player sales)
2. Manchester City €984m (€1.699bn - €715m)
3. Paris St Germain €941m
4. Barcelona €650m
5. Arsenal €583m
6. Juventus €561m
7. AC Milan €432m
8. Everton €429m
9. Aston Villa €424m
10. Chelsea €413m

No surprise that England has 6 in the Top Ten (England have 14 in the top 20). Liverpool are 14th €347m. Real and At Madrid have both spent over a billion in the time period, but got back over €900m each in transfer fees received. 
I knew Arsenal and Everton had wasted hundred of millions on shite players, but hadn't expected to see Villa on the list.

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2021/wp367/en/

Those figures are dwarfed by their wage bills though. And that's where the real discrepancies lie when comparing the largest clubs to those behind them. It's also the most accurate indicator of expected success. Villa's wage bill is the 11th highest in the league - which is where they finished last season.
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Absolutely right.

Some football fans use net spend as a badge of honour that their beloved club is doing it in a more saintly way. As a principle it fully ignores that free transfers and final-year-of-contract transfers just mean are the new normal, and just tilt their outlandish expenditure into players' pockets instead of those of other clubs.

And that's before ignoring the fact that one major inbound or outbound just outside their massaged time window for net spend, can skew everything,

But one thing that's for sure though, is that Manchester United's recruitment policy over the past decade has been abysmal. Even their most ardent follower can't ignore all that black and white.
Yep, it's pretty extraordinary how far ahead United are in the salary table.

imtommygunn

How far behind Brentford are in the salary table compared to how well they are doing is remarkable. You wouldn't expect to see Leeds down there either.

I knew Everton had wasted a ton of money but didn't expect Villa there either.

shark

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 08, 2022, 08:34:48 AM
How far behind Brentford are in the salary table compared to how well they are doing is remarkable. You wouldn't expect to see Leeds down there either.

I knew Everton had wasted a ton of money but didn't expect Villa there either.

Villa had to buy an entire new squad upon promotion. Quantity was the priority , rather than quality. The team that won the play-off final had 5 loanees, and a number of players whose contracts were about to expire. Everton have spent their money to stand still (or worse). Villa have finished in an increasingly higher position for 4 years in a row now. If they keep spending this level of money (which they will, as they are loaded), and don't keep progressing, then we can say it has been wasted. But not yet.

imtommygunn

Didn't realise that about villa. Unfortunately I know only too well about Everton and their transfers.

Ghost

I see Zouma is starting for West Ham. People are looking them to get rid of him but I Definitely thought they'd have taken him out of the spotlight for tonight at least.

Milltown Row2

Staring in a new episode of don't f**k with cats! Complete dick and hopefully he'll get done by the police who are now investigating
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ghost

I really question the stupidity of people these days. Getting away from the barbaric act itself, it was his brother who posted it on social media. In what world could anyone think it would be a good idea to share that video?

Saffrongael

Is it normal for cops to get involved for booting a cat ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Capt Pat

Zouma is worse than Greenwood.......for booting cats.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

hoynevalley

RedHand88

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 08, 2022, 08:56:20 PM
Is it normal for cops to get involved for booting a cat ?

Yes, I think animal cruelty is a crime, haven't or would watch the video, but has been reported
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: hoynevalley on February 08, 2022, 09:05:28 PM
Everton are going down.   ;D ;D

There's at least 3 teams worse than them. They'll scarp by their finger tips

Gabriel_Hurl