Sarah Everard/Women’s safety

Started by general_lee, March 11, 2021, 07:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: johnnycool on March 12, 2021, 03:28:12 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on March 12, 2021, 03:25:29 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 12, 2021, 01:37:09 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on March 12, 2021, 01:32:19 PM
What's the obsession with peoples occupations in episodes like this, at every turn she was a "marketing executive", I actually read something in the Times and we were told both her parents occupations too

It's to tell the community that she was not 'a lady of the night'.

And their parents occupations ?

And for transparency the father was a lecturer I think

That's to condition us to think he's from a "good" family

Sorry that was the victims parents not the cop

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/case-sarah-everard-has-fuelled-rage-should-keep-red-hot/

For things to change we have to talk to our young boys about how to make girls feel safe. We have to say the urge to have sex is not some uncontrollable force. We have to say sex without consent is always rape and we have to send men to prison for it. We have to have phone lines for men who feel they cannot cope with their feelings. Men have to convict men and men have to tell other men that hitting a woman is the lowest of the low.  

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 12, 2021, 03:25:29 PM
What's the obsession with peoples occupations in episodes like this, at every turn she was a "marketing executive", I actually read something in the Times and we were told both her parents occupations too

And their parents occupations ?

And for transparency the father was a lecturer I think

What did he lecture?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2021, 06:04:51 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/case-sarah-everard-has-fuelled-rage-should-keep-red-hot/

For things to change we have to talk to our young boys about how to make girls feel safe. We have to say the urge to have sex is not some uncontrollable force. We have to say sex without consent is always rape and we have to send men to prison for it. We have to have phone lines for men who feel they cannot cope with their feelings. Men have to convict men and men have to tell other men that hitting a woman is the lowest of the low. 

And drum into boys that women are people, not objects with a pleasing shape whose main purpose and obligation is men's pleasure and satisfaction.

imtommygunn

The fact that womens underwear is paraded in the court in rape trials is unbelievable. Shit like that needs to stop.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 12, 2021, 08:03:27 PM

The fact that womens underwear is paraded in the court in rape trials is unbelievable. Shit like that needs to stop.
Absolutely.

maggie

It is a terrifying case because we think of the times when we can relate to that feeling of being afraid.  Just a few weeks ago I went for a walk around 8pm-when kids were in bed. It turned out to be much shorter than planned and when I came in my husband asked me why I was back so soon.
The reason? Fear.

It's that sense of unease you have by yourself at night.
I told him that I was afraid to walk by myself.  He just thought I was crazy (and said but sure it's all well lit)

The street lights aren't the issue though.  When you have experienced that heart pounding (half running the last part of the way) and breathing a sigh of relief when you get in and close the door behind you -you dread to think of what it must have been like for Sarah.

Milltown Row2

There were 80 women killed by a partner or ex in the year to March 2019, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said, an increase of 27% from the previous year.

Though most deaths (nearly double 429) are men most years. Women around 230
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Wayne Couzens is the name of the cop charged with kidnap and murder. From his appearance in photos you wouldn't think he was capable of such a crime.

seafoid

Telegraph

The Metropolitan Police said on Friday night that Mr Couzens was taken to hospital for a second time in 48 hours for treatment to a fresh head injury sustained in custody, before being discharged and returned to a police station.

MoChara

Quote from: Taylor on March 12, 2021, 03:51:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 02:42:23 PM
Quote from: grounded on March 12, 2021, 02:15:49 PM

Christ. I was wondering about that occupation thing myself and the constant reference to it.

Whether they admit it or not, people want to know.

Normal, functional, successful middle-class woman, going about her business, as opposed to lost or dysfunctional or overstretched woman from a troubled or poverty-stricken background.

The latter is part of the ambient, background violence of society, the former is not.

Same thing in the US.

There is sensationalist, blanket news coverage when some young, fit white woman goes missing or is murdered. Poor woman of colour... forget it. A statistic.

100% correct.

This is what it is all about.

Would a kid that disappeared on holiday many years ago still have an ongoing investigation if they had been from a lower income family?

I doubt it

There was a good comparison in the book Chavs between he disappearance of Maddie McCann and Shannon Matthews, the sympathy for the well to do McCanns and the immediate castigation of useless neglectful mother of the Shannon.

The irony that it turned out  Karen Matthews and her BF did turn out to be tramps wasn't lost on me but still it was an interesting comparison of stereotypes.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/13/police-officer-charged-sarah-everard-murder-appears-court/

The body of Sarah Everard was identified through her dental records after her remains were found inside a builder's bag, it emerged in court.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: seafoid on March 13, 2021, 05:51:08 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/13/police-officer-charged-sarah-everard-murder-appears-court/

The body of Sarah Everard was identified through her dental records after her remains were found inside a builder's bag, it emerged in court.
Grim.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2021, 06:12:35 PM

Grim.

Had he burnt the body to hinder identification?  Why the need to use dental records?

nrico2006

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 13, 2021, 06:44:42 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 13, 2021, 06:12:35 PM

Grim.

Had he burnt the body to hinder identification?  Why the need to use dental records?

Was wondering what happened the body myself.  To carry out a murder is going to get harder and harder with the advances of technology - everybody has mobile phones, all cars will eventually have dash cams, doorbells have cameras and CCTV coverage is increasing.  Add in the fact that your phone and car both potentially have GPS, means that you are going to have to be very smart or very lucky to get away with murder.  I heard that the key evidence that led the police to Couzens was the CCTV of a bus I never even thought of as having a camera.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'