Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 06:49:31 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 29, 2020, 06:42:37 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 29, 2020, 06:26:15 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 06:24:19 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 29, 2020, 06:06:45 PM

Ah, so you do want oppression of women!

You didn't answer about the LGBTQ+ community

Bland PR-like statements don't cut it, especially when accompanied by US evangelical style craziness

Nope, I respect how valuable human life is unlike you.
That would obviously explain your support for the PIRA  ;D

Clearly as they were fighting a government that routinely opened fire on unarmed civilians because they were taking to the streets to demand their civil rights.

The free state establishment has much blood on its hands when it comes to the troubles.
Those 644 civilians the PIRA killed were key members of that government of course

The "elite", or something

To cite dead civilians on the streets of Derry as a legitimate justification for 644 other dead civilians is Orwellian

You're pontificating about civilians being killed when you're the only poster on here who defended the IRA that won your rotten state its independence going around murdering civilians.

You are at odds with yourself here, as I predicted, you have routinely shown yourself to be morally bankrupt once again.

So the Republic of Ireland is in your words a "Rotten state"?

Can I take it then you won't want to be a part of a United Ireland then?

You've more in common in denigrating the Republic of Ireland with Jim Alister than you do with me.
A UI doesn't = ROI + NI. I dont want NI to be merged into ROI structures, I want a New Ireland.

You described us in the south as being part of a "rotten state"

Is insulting us part of the grand plan to make us vote for a United ireland after the unity vote is won in the North?

I presumed we were all on the same side,maybe we ain't
1. No, that was Angelo, I was jumping on a point just.
2. I don't ever expect to see a UI. In the confines of a polling booth I wouldn't be convinced that ROI voters would vote for it,  I also think there's a huge number of 'nationalists' in NI who would do the same tbh - nevermind the Unionist population.
3. If Scotland goes the chances improve, but then the New Ireland conversation has to be had. I dont see the ROI being comfortable giving up it's structure to accommodate the New Ireland.
I think the Republic would vote comfortably for it because Sinn Fein would likely have the good sense to step aside from the campaign, well, I think they probably would

The campaign would likely be led by Fine Gael people, people like Neale Richmond, the people who get called "West Brits"

Nah, your the main west brit Sid. I've much much more respect for Northern unionists who have a genuine British heritage than a weasel like you.

clonadmad

Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 29, 2020, 10:14:22 PM

You won't be wanting a United Ireland with us in the south then?

Fair enough

You see this is where the Free Staters need a reality check. It's not your state.

It's a new Ireland to replace the two rotten states that partition brought about.

You really hate the south don't you,

calling us all free staters

Telling us the Republic of Ireland is not our state

If your indiicative of what even a small percentage of northern "nationalism" feels about the south

We might as well never have even a discussion about a United Ireland

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: clonadmad on December 30, 2020, 12:05:21 AM

Fair enough

You see this is where the Free Staters need a reality check. It's not your state.

It's a new Ireland to replace the two rotten states that partition brought about.

If your indiicative of what even a small percentage of northern "nationalism" feels about the south

Sadly it's hiw vast vast amount of northern republicans view the south. They are blind to their own strategic stupidity

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 29, 2020, 11:42:54 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on December 29, 2020, 09:24:48 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 29, 2020, 09:13:58 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 29, 2020, 09:02:29 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 29, 2020, 08:39:33 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 29, 2020, 08:18:40 PM

Bland PR-like statements don't cut it, especially when accompanied by US evangelical style craziness

Clearly as they were fighting a government that routinely opened fire on unarmed civilians because they were taking to the streets to demand their civil rights.

The free state establishment has much blood on its hands when it comes to the troubles.
Those 644 civilians the PIRA killed were key members of that government of course

To cite dead civilians on the streets of Derry as a legitimate justification for 644 other dead civilians is Orwellian

You're pontificating about civilians being killed when you're the only poster on here who defended the IRA that won your rotten state its independence going around murdering civilians.

You are at odds with yourself here, as I predicted, you have routinely shown yourself to be morally bankrupt once again.

You've more in common in denigrating the Republic of Ireland with Jim Alister than you do with me.
A UI doesn't = ROI + NI. I dont want NI to be merged into ROI structures, I want a New Ireland.

Is insulting us part of the grand plan to make us vote for a United ireland after the unity vote is won in the North?

2. I don't ever expect to see a UI. In the confines of a polling booth I wouldn't be convinced that ROI voters would vote for it,  I also think there's a huge number of 'nationalists' in NI who would do the same tbh - nevermind the Unionist population.
3. If Scotland goes the chances improve, but then the New Ireland conversation has to be had. I dont see the ROI being comfortable giving up it's structure to accommodate the New Ireland.
I think the Republic would vote comfortably for it because Sinn Fein would likely have the good sense to step aside from the campaign, well, I think they probably would

The campaign would likely be led by Fine Gael people, people like Neale Richmond, the people who get called "West Brits"

Nah, your the main west brit Sid. I've much much more respect for Northern unionists who have a genuine British heritage than a weasel like you.
"West Brit", "weasel", thanks for the abuse as always, well argued, articulate as always

Presume you'll be voting against a united Ireland when the time comes because you'll have to share it with a lot of people whose opinions you don't like but are totally unable to argue against

That could be a real problem for you, although I suspect it could be a bigger problem for those on the wrong side of your grunting

To be honest one would nearly be tempted to also vote against a united Ireland after reading bigoted moronic blatherings like yours - I can certainly imagine such gammonology being a real turn off for a lot of people

It'd be absolutely hilarious if the north voted for unification but the south didn't - just to see the look on your face

Luckily for you I don't vote on that basis

In the words of Kevin Bridges, you're the sort of person who if one had the misfortune to come across them in the pub, the only reasonable reaction would be to stand up, pat them on the back and say "have a good night, mate"

Milltown Row2

Would be absolutely hilarious... ?

But in same breath wouldn't vote, hard to believe, but anyways...

There was a time financially I'd have suffered had a UI been granted, that wouldn't have pulled me from voting for a UI

My problem is, the South has form. Voting on keeping the status quo wouldn't surprise me at all, nothing on here changes my view on that unfortunately.

When crunch comes crunch I'd hope us on the north wouldn't do a Scotland, but the devil is in the detail.

Anyways it won't happen in my life time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: grounded on December 29, 2020, 11:37:08 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 29, 2020, 10:18:15 PM
Perhaps a new Ireland will allow you to cleanse some of that history and make a new start.

This is the thing. Say 10 or 20 years from now. That will be 35-45 years since the end of the troubles. The majority of those voters in the North will thankfully have no idea of the savagery that went on. They will make the call.

That's not necessarily a good thing, it might be a good thing if the threat of violence was non-existent in the future - as is the case in the south - but that's not the case as regards the north

There is a healthy amount of real history people should know in order that they don't repeat it

Conversely, all these commemorations are bad news, they allow history to be hijacked for cynical political and rabble rousing purposes, if Covid did one good thing it made most people forget about commemorations

Gonna be some craic in the latter part of this century when Loyalists demand the Shankill Butchers be commemorated officially as equal victims of the Troubles along with those they slaughtered

Milltown Row2

Murphy in his own streets is revered and hated in equal measures. Given up by his own will give you a good idea.

As for commemorations was there not one lately in the south that  brought about some gurning?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2020, 12:29:11 AM
Would be absolutely hilarious... ?
Ah it would be, now, a bit like how I was up for Galway hurlers to beat Tipp in the semi-final a few years back - I live in Galway, but at the same I would have found it very funny if Tipp had won for the wind up value

A vote for a united Ireland isn't really something that would have an inherent effect on anybody's quality of life, and neither would the lack of it prevent anybody being Irish

I'd be voting for unification if and when the time came but would respect the democratic vote whichever way it went

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2020, 12:38:49 AM
Murphy in his own streets is revered and hated in equal measures. Given up by his own will give you a good idea.

As for commemorations was there not one lately in the south that  brought about some gurning?
There was indeed, or was talk about one, which is why I said if Covid did one good thing it at least stopped people talking absolute shite about it

Some things that happened before we were all alive are probably best left in the past - especially when they are extremely controversial and can only cause needless rabble rousing division

Some anniversaries bring up unavoidable confrontation and controversy though

Milltown Row2

It's why I say this is a generational thing or two maybe before that hurt is gone..

I've always asked for a truth commission for the north, a period of opening and closing wounds, allowing those that are still grieving and angry about lost relatives/loved ones.

Wiping the slate clean, starting over. The hurt shown by both sides needs to be acknowledged and moved on.

If Sid you'd tone down your attitude I'd accept some of your views, but they are too extreme, and for someone who beliefs come across as left of centre you make a big hole for yourself and paint a bad picture for us Nordies of how the general south view the north.

As for SF, they'll change, they have to and have changed since the early 80's, whether they will be the party (I doubt it) that'll lead a UI is questionable, as unionist won't go for it.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Fair enough

the state is a republic of Ireland, a bastardized one obviously but clearly not the Republic

thankfully the Irish public have more sense than this board who are overwhelmingly partitionist

thinking about money when it comes to national sovereignty  ::)

Orior

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on December 30, 2020, 01:57:06 AM

Fair enough

the state is a republic of Ireland, a bastardized one obviously but clearly not the Republic

thankfully the Irish public have more sense than this board who are overwhelmingly partitionist

thinking about money when it comes to national sovereignty  ::)

You sure about that?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: bennydorano on December 29, 2020, 09:13:58 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 29, 2020, 09:02:29 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 29, 2020, 08:39:33 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 29, 2020, 08:18:40 PM

Anybody that calls themselves Irish, but votes against reunification is an embarrassment as a person, and an embarrassment to their country.

balladmaker

+1

If you consider yourself Irish, then you have no choice but to vote for Irish Unity ... to do anything other than vote for unity, well you'd be a hypocrite devoid of any self esteem.

tonto1888

Fair enough

He didn't say the ROI was not your state though.