38 (33.9%)
10+ pts
36 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: December 19, 2020, 08:56:37 AM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 22, 2020, 09:55:09 AM
Hard Luck Mayo.

Well done the Dubs, hopefully a couple more to add over the next few years. Straight into it again it looks like for next year.

Of the things Dublin do best is analysis, stats etc and it is used heavily at half time, they are not afraid to make the changes either to counteract it. I remember reading before players want it half time also, information and more.

This shows it, certain things identified and then nullified.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/12/21/news/dubs-zone-in-on-mayo-trio-to-turn-the-tide-2166226/

Its safe to assume having such a backroom team has its advantages and this is one of them. Would the Mayo players have the access to a similar level of information, I'd be very sceptical.

Introducing Brian Howard who'd be in my best 15 in the country on at half time is a luxury everyone else has to dream about not to mention Paul Mannion who stayed on the bench for even longer.

Angelo

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 22, 2020, 09:47:14 AM
What happens when the sponsorship money is divided between counties and the Dubs decide to start fundraising?

Dublin shouldn't be getting 1m a year from the GAA. They should be financially self-sufficient so should be funding GPOs exclusively themselves and that's where their fundraising money can go.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

TheGreatest

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 22, 2020, 10:07:30 AM
Hard Luck Mayo.

Well done the Dubs, hopefully a couple more to add over the next few years. Straight into it again it looks like for next year.

Of the things Dublin do best is analysis, stats etc and it is used heavily at half time, they are not afraid to make the changes either to counteract it. I remember reading before players want it half time also, information and more.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/12/21/news/dubs-zone-in-on-mayo-trio-to-turn-the-tide-2166226/

Its safe to assume having such a backroom team has its advantages and this is one of them. Would the Mayo players have the access to a similar level of information, I'd be very sceptical.

Introducing Brian Howard who'd be in my best 15 in the country on at half time is a luxury everyone else has to dream about not to mention Paul Mannion who stayed on the bench for even longer.

I knew the your first line would be the first response to this post :) Don't know if Mayo do or dont but i have noticed an increase in the number of stats members of the team over the last few years.

Of course Howard changed the game, Mannion too, but they would would have looked at these things at half time, most likely digitally and realtime and discussed how to deal with it. Its another layer to the level required.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 22, 2020, 10:36:22 AM
Hard Luck Mayo.

I knew the your first line would be the first response to this post :) Don't know if Mayo do or dont but i have noticed an increase in the number of stats members of the team over the last few years.

Of course Howard changed the game, Mannion too, but they would would have looked at these things at half time, most likely digitally and realtime and discussed how to deal with it. Its another layer to the level required.

When it comes to stats I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I suspect whatever Dublin do is in greater detail than anyone else, I suspect the level of video analysis Dublin uses isn't exceeded by any other county and I imagine it isn't cheap.

Tubberman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 22, 2020, 10:45:29 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on December 22, 2020, 10:36:22 AM
Hard Luck Mayo.

When it comes to stats I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I suspect whatever Dublin do is in greater detail than anyone else, I suspect the level of video analysis Dublin uses isn't exceeded by any other county and I imagine it isn't cheap.

I think it was Kevin McStay that said when he was leaving press box at half time of a game involving, he went out the back of the stand and there was a team of Dublin stats people on laptops furiously working away.
They were probably providing real time info to the mgmt team. A great setup, but as you said, not one that most  (if any) counties bar Dublin could afford.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

I recall the u21 semi finals 2014.
While Dublin were playing Cavan we had John Nolan making notes in a jotter.
When we were playing Cork there were a scatter of Dublin backroom  lads banging stuff non stop into lap tops.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Again, i dont know what other teams do, but surely to god the days of pen and paper at inter county are gone now, and i understand some stadia don't have the facilities to accomadate.

I would expect some of those center of excellences have good video analysis rooms with good equipment.

TheGreatest

Id say there is some nice equipment used here - http://tyronegaacentre.com/facilities/  nice play to play and train. Dubs have to do with a lobsided pitch in Kinsealy. . . :)

Kerry have a video analysis too, not sure what they used match days though - https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/inside-the-future-of-our-gaa-36036305.html 

And you buy some software off the shelf - https://www.performasports.com/pricing-video-analysis-software

But i suppose its what you do about the information you are given is another story.

larryin89

""Cillian O'Connor, Ryan O'Donoghue and Oisin Mullin ran Mayo's attack in the first half with 40 possessions between them. Dublin's changes took all three completely out of the game after half-time. O'Donoghue touched the ball just twice in the 2nd half " (cahair o kane Irish news )
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2020, 10:54:09 AM
When we were playing Cork there were a scatter of Dublin backroom  lads banging stuff non stop into lap tops.
Pro sports make a point of ensuring that competition is the focus. The GAA doesn't. Dublin has a bigger pick, more money, more advanced training facilities, better coaching, better stats.
It's not sport when one team is so far ahead.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 10:25:51 AM
What happens when the sponsorship money is divided between counties and the Dubs decide to start fundraising?

Dublin shouldn't be getting 1m a year from the GAA. They should be financially self-sufficient so should be funding GPOs exclusively themselves and that's where their fundraising money can go.

Tell you what. Lets change approach. Lets treat it like soccer. Every county gets their home league gate and the 40/20/40 split on championship games.

So if Dublin raise it they keep it. Same for your county.

TheGreatest

Quote from: seafoid on December 22, 2020, 11:27:46 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 22, 2020, 10:54:09 AM
Pro sports make a point of ensuring that competition is the focus. The GAA doesn't. Dublin has a bigger pick, more money, more advanced training facilities, better coaching, better stats.
It's not sport when one team is so far ahead.

Dublin has a bigger pick - Yes - always had, always will
More money - If you talking Senior Football team, spend in and around the same as the top 3/4 teams.
More advanced training facilities - Not so sure about that, If your talking Dublin Senior footballers, they use Innisfails GAA club for a large part of their training. Iv played there, the pitch is lobsided, the Facilities not great, small changing rooms etc. Id say its used to keep them grounded more so than everything else.
Better Coaching - Not so sure about that either, structures yes, define, is Jayo a better forward coach than say Donaghy will be with Armagh.
Better stats - Again, unproven, modernized.
Makeshift Gym in Parnell Park.

There are a few counties that have better set ups than the Dubs.

Tubberman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 22, 2020, 11:46:26 AM

Tell you what. Lets change approach. Lets treat it like soccer. Every county gets their home league gate and the 40/20/40 split on championship games.

But you know that only makes Dublin richer. You know that doesn't resolve anything, only makes the problems worse. And you think that's sustainable?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Tubberman on December 22, 2020, 12:00:23 PM

But you know that only makes Dublin richer. You know that doesn't resolve anything, only makes the problems worse. And you think that's sustainable?

Dublin is the main funds generator for the GAA. If people object to Dublin getting a fraction of what they bring in lets change that. What you raise you keep. The levelest of the level. No more whining about favoritism

larryin89

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 22, 2020, 12:34:41 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 22, 2020, 12:00:23 PM

Dublin is the main funds generator for the GAA. If people object to Dublin getting a fraction of what they bring in lets change that. What you raise you keep. The levelest of the level. No more whining about favoritism

Hiw does that work for Dublin when ye dont have a county ground ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .