Should the country go to Level 5?

Started by trileacman, October 05, 2020, 09:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the country go to Level 5 as adivsed by NPET?

Yes
25 (31.6%)
No
46 (58.2%)
Don't know
8 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 06, 2020, 05:45:41 PM
Personally, I've refused to get involved with much discussion online concerning COVID-19 as there's little point listening to nearly everyone involved but I will say this - as someone who has had episodes of bad/poor mental illness for more than twenty years which have included hospital admissions, I'm seriously fucked off by the usual suspects suddenly now using mental health issues as a tool concerning lockdown measures just to help satisfy their passive aggressive selfishness, whom in "normal" times (and perhaps even now) would treat such people as lazy fruitloops whom needed nothing netter than needing pulling themselves together, maybe with a good few slaps across the face. The same kind of **** whom rails against foreign aid saying "charity begins at home" when if they saw a homeless person on the street they wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

110%

I heard some useless c**t from representing the business world on the radio the other day going on about the effects of restrictions on mental health - and the exact same thought struck me - "not two f**ks could you give about those with mental health issues, this is just a handy excuse to play bleeding heart, now away f**k off and die in a ditch ye two-faced w**ker".

i usse an speelchekor

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 07, 2020, 11:13:48 AM
Personally, I've refused to get involved with much discussion online concerning COVID-19 as there's little point listening to nearly everyone involved but I will say this - as someone who has had episodes of bad/poor mental illness for more than twenty years which have included hospital admissions, I'm seriously fucked off by the usual suspects suddenly now using mental health issues as a tool concerning lockdown measures just to help satisfy their passive aggressive selfishness, whom in "normal" times (and perhaps even now) would treat such people as lazy fruitloops whom needed nothing netter than needing pulling themselves together, maybe with a good few slaps across the face. The same kind of **** whom rails against foreign aid saying "charity begins at home" when if they saw a homeless person on the street they wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Excellent post. 100%.

Agree.

BennyCake

Pubs have been dying on their arse since the recession 12 or so years ago. Less and less people were supporting their locals, choosing to drink at home. Now some people can't seem to survive without a trip to the pub, and going mental because they've closed/under restrictions. I don't recall anyone speaking up that something be done to help pubs when they were clearly struggling. Now they can't get enough of their local pub.

It seems a case of people only wanting to do something when they're told they can't.

seafoid

Quote from: Angelo on October 07, 2020, 11:21:59 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 07, 2020, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 07, 2020, 09:43:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 07, 2020, 12:26:41 AM
Up to 20 km from home in an adjoining County?
How about limiting travel to the area within, say. a 20 km radius from one's residence?

In May/June they had thr 15km rule, then they introduced the county thing and they stated that you could still go the 15Km if you were near the boundary. Why they haven't just restated this is a good example of the general uselessness of those involved.

It's easier to lay the blame at the people rather than give clear directives

At the heart of the matter is a dysfunctional health system which is the legacy of the two governing parties and they don't want to bring that to light.
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/michael-mcdowell-nphet-allowed-get-too-big-for-its-boots-1.4373734
The policy monopoly conferred on Nphet and the HSE was hardwired to fail us on non-Covid-19 public health matters and on supervising an adequate response in our health infrastructure.
We need joined-up thinking, decision-making and implementation in our struggle to live with Covid-19. The economy is not a mere residual in public policy. There are huge costs too for lockdown in terms of lives lost, lives ruined, occupations destroyed, social and cultural activity, recreation, loneliness, depression, domestic abuse and psychiatric well-being.
All these must be at the centre of our political discourse. Political responsibility and accountability must always lie in our democratically elected institutions.

Rossfan

Only thing NPHET did wrong was publicising their advice on Sunday night.
That advice should have gone to the Minister of Health without any public comment and let him, his Special Committee and the Cabinet take it from there.
Garda checkpoints causing chaos on the M4 and M7 out of Dublin by all accounts.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on October 07, 2020, 01:24:48 PM
Only thing NPHET did wrong was publicising their advice on Sunday night.
That advice should have gone to the Minister of Health without any public comment and let him, his Special Committee and the Cabinet take it from there.
Garda checkpoints causing chaos on the M4 and M7 out of Dublin by all accounts.

When you hear ballbag Boris and his cronies talking about following the science when they did everything but it's no wonder there's little faith or trust between the medics and scientists and the politicians.

seafoid

five points

Quote from: seafoid on October 07, 2020, 03:54:41 PM
EUR 200 fine for leaving the county suggested. Very hard on people from South Ros, West Cavan and Offaly

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/consider-penalties-of-50-for-not-wearing-masks-and-200-for-leaving-county-t%C3%A1naiste-1.4374294

Totally ridiculous. Someone living in Graiguecullen would have to drive 35km to Carlow to buy an essential item they could get 2km away in Carlow. Ditto the Kilkenny side of Waterford city and the Roscommon side of Athlone.

Ed Ricketts

Great post.

Crocodile tears from transparent cnuts about mental health or cancer or whatever. These services have had major issues long before COVID became a thing, where was the heartfelt concern then?
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

sid waddell

The business lobby mental health bandwagoners remind me of the so called pro-life movement claiming to have concern for the welfare of women before the 2018 abortion referendum

They had 35 years to do something for women and they did precisely nothing

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on October 07, 2020, 03:54:41 PM
EUR 200 fine for leaving the county suggested. Very hard on people from South Ros, West Cavan and Offaly

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/consider-penalties-of-50-for-not-wearing-masks-and-200-for-leaving-county-t%C3%A1naiste-1.4374294

Will any of the anti mask and restrictions loons be slapped with fines?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Rossfan on October 08, 2020, 12:09:56 AM
https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/holohan-warned-government-about-covid-fears-before-controversial-nphet-meeting-39599176.html

Curioser and curiouser.

For me it's clear the level 5 story was leaked by someone in government at the weekend. NPHET can only advise government and had nothing to gain by leaking it. Much more likely someone in government decided to throw NPHET under the bus by leaking the story so the politicans could have a go at them and them and make themselves look like the good guys standing up them

PadraicHenryPearse

the current result of the poll is interesting. on Cblive the result based on 1000 people was 40% L5 38% remain as is and 22% dont know.

Also On Cblive the two media panellists were delighting in  firstly the fact the Nphet and the govt went seperate ways and secondly Leos comment about Nphet... good to see some getting such joy out of such misery!!!

imtommygunn

One or the other is playing silly buggers here. Either NPHET are by leaking the story or someone in government is by leaking it.

NPHET could be covering their asses or dissenters in the government could be showing the government up.

Who knows. All is not harmonious anyway.