GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Absolutely.
But there are so many thicks out there** that it takes Government restrictions to get them to make any effort.

** 6 Cos more so than 26 but too many in both areas.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 06:42:35 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 12, 2020, 06:06:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 04:09:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 12, 2020, 03:33:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 12, 2020, 01:41:00 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 12, 2020, 08:30:48 AM
The Ard Comhairle should have run the All Ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9q8J4xShs in parallel with the club championships because Covid is seasonal and it will kill loads of people in December. There is no "better" until we get a vaccine. March was not a once-off.

Otherwise they should have chosen one between club and county.

Covid is not very seasonal.

It is.
Check out the Covid World Club Championships

When does South America peak? In our summer
When did UK numbers collapse? In the summer

This is Covid in a nutshell.

100% guesswork and theories that science can't solve.

We're going to gain our answers retrospectively on Covid.

The North is now a case study, it's rampant up here, the horse has bolted so closing the gate now will have little effect.

The next 5/6 weeks is going to give us the answers science has been contradicting itself about.

You are not a fan of science are you?

Doesn't seem to be earning it's keep against Covid.

Scientific research takes time. Especially if it is to be done right. Its a process of experimentation, controlled trial and error, review, repetition to reproduce results and so on.

The virus hasn't even been with us for a year.

sid waddell

I'd say Angelo gets fierce angry with the weather forecasters when it rains

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on October 12, 2020, 08:13:12 PM
I'd say Angelo gets fierce angry with the weather forecasters when it rains

Sure they are only guessing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Angelo

We'll be out of this before science solves it.

How long is anyone's guess though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

6th sam

Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2020, 07:52:02 PM
The Ard Comhairle should have run the All Ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9q8J4xShs in parallel with the club championships because Covid is seasonal and it will kill loads of people in December. There is no "better" until we get a vaccine. March was not a once-off.

It is.

The North is now a case study, it's rampant up here, the horse has bolted so closing the gate now will have little effect.

The next 5/6 weeks is going to give us the answers science has been contradicting itself about.

Do

Scientific research takes time. Especially if it is to be done right. Its a process of experimentation, controlled trial and error, review, repetition to reproduce results and so on.

By definition this is a novel virus, and therefore we are still
Learning about it. There is much debate on the benefits/risks of restrictions/lockdown, but what most intelligent people can agree on is the following: distance, hygiene , masks, responsible behaviour around testing/tracing/isolation, healthy lifestyle , protect the vulnerable. These are all backed up by science .
However what is also backed up
By science is the effect of poverty and unemployment on health, the effect of inadequate funding of the health service, diseases of isolation, diseases of inactivity, the effects of delayed diagnosis and treatment, the effect of cessation of schooling on education .
What I can't understand is those that rightly quote the importance of following scientific guidance on the direct effects of Coronavirus (including heAlth ministers, and scientific advisers) , don't seem to attach the same significance to the indirect effects of Covid.

Anecdotal stories about the direct effect of the virus , though important and often tragic, have to be contextualised and not inappropriately given extra weight over other health traumas.

If the financial deficit due to Covid had been invested in the NHS over the last few years, then we'd have been in a better position to fight Covid.

Regardless of views on Covid, a "blame culture" is unhelpful, and the fear, blame and lazy science promoted by the likes of Stephen Nolan, hasn't worked. Respectful encouragement of public responsibility worked much better in the earlier stages of this pandemic .

LCohen

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 12, 2020, 06:00:30 PM
I'd be totally against another lockdown - it's a vicious circle as the virus is just being suppressed - once the country reopens it's still there & history repeats itself.

What's the old saying - The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

What did we do in February and March. You agree it would be insane to repeat that? Look at the impact of reopening the economy. You no doubt believe it would be insane to try that again?

LCohen

It is.

How so?

LCohen

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 12, 2020, 06:53:14 PM
I fully appreciate demand Vs supply - but are you aware of an issue or are you just guessing?

So we lockdown - suppress the virus - ease pressure on NHS & that's us?

Then when it spikes again early next year we do the same & repeat until a vaccine is found?

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people go out of work / hundreds of thousands of children miss out on education / same numbers of kids miss out on the social interaction of GAA / thousands of men & women miss out on the same social interaction of the GAA & other outlets!

I don't see where you are going with the "guessing" remark.

I simply state that anyone who favours a let it rip strategy or a lock up the elderly and let it rip otherwise needs to spell out the deal for health workers. They will be critical. The experience to date is that PPE offers no guarantee of protection and supply lines have been patchy when the pressure is on. Granted there is a longer lead in time this time.

Kids are not currently missing out of school in any significant numbers. There seems to be a determination to keep that way with a broad consensus.

Kids GAA isn't cancelled everywhere. And doesn't need to be. It will also have a natural break over the winter.

The other things you mention you are going to have to sit tight on for a while.

LCohen

Quote from: Angelo on October 12, 2020, 08:51:37 PM
We'll be out of this before science solves it.

How long is anyone's guess though.

So we will be out of this by some non scientific means?

That is quite spectacular

LCohen

Quote from: 6th sam on October 12, 2020, 08:56:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2020, 07:52:02 PM

It is.

Do

By definition this is a novel virus, and therefore we are still
Learning about it. There is much debate on the benefits/risks of restrictions/lockdown, but what most intelligent people can agree on is the following: distance, hygiene , masks, responsible behaviour around testing/tracing/isolation, healthy lifestyle , protect the vulnerable. These are all backed up by science .
However what is also backed up
By science is the effect of poverty and unemployment on health, the effect of inadequate funding of the health service, diseases of isolation, diseases of inactivity, the effects of delayed diagnosis and treatment, the effect of cessation of schooling on education .
What I can't understand is those that rightly quote the importance of following scientific guidance on the direct effects of Coronavirus (including heAlth ministers, and scientific advisers) , don't seem to attach the same significance to the indirect effects of Covid.

Anecdotal stories about the direct effect of the virus , though important and often tragic, have to be contextualised and not inappropriately given extra weight over other health traumas.

If the financial deficit due to Covid had been invested in the NHS over the last few years, then we'd have been in a better position to fight Covid.

Regardless of views on Covid, a "blame culture" is unhelpful, and the fear, blame and lazy science promoted by the likes of Stephen Nolan, hasn't worked. Respectful encouragement of public responsibility worked much better in the earlier stages of this pandemic .

I think you are ignoring the possibility that the economy never recovers the ground lost to Covid unless and until Covid is beaten/controlled.

If that is the case keeping some sort of lid on Covid is the basis of the indirect impacts of Covid.

Lifting current restrictions on pubs, restaurants etc is unlikely to be enough to rescue those and other sectors. To invest in those sectors you would effectively need a guarantee that there will NEVER again be a similar set of social restrictions or a set of circumstances where significant amounts of people just elect to stay home or least not to eat or drink out.

When you think of it that way you need to beat Covid to get confidence back

Will it ever end

Quote from: LCohen on October 12, 2020, 09:23:39 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on October 12, 2020, 06:53:14 PM
I fully appreciate demand Vs supply - but are you aware of an issue or are you just guessing?

So we lockdown - suppress the virus - ease pressure on NHS & that's us?

Then when it spikes again early next year we do the same & repeat until a vaccine is found?

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of people go out of work / hundreds of thousands of children miss out on education / same numbers of kids miss out on the social interaction of GAA / thousands of men & women miss out on the same social interaction of the GAA & other outlets!

I don't see where you are going with the "guessing" remark.

I simply state that anyone who favours a let it rip strategy or a lock up the elderly and let it rip otherwise needs to spell out the deal for health workers. They will be critical. The experience to date is that PPE offers no guarantee of protection and supply lines have been patchy when the pressure is on. Granted there is a longer lead in time this time.

Kids are not currently missing out of school in any significant numbers. There seems to be a determination to keep that way with a broad consensus.

Kids GAA isn't cancelled everywhere. And doesn't need to be. It will also have a natural break over the winter.

The other things you mention you are going to have to sit tight on for a while.

I haven't heard shortages of  PPE being flagged across any platforms - I merely asked if you have some first hand knowledge of this as it was absolutely one of the first items flagged up at the beginning of the pandemic.

We will have to agree to disagree on the "let it rip" I certainly don't advocate anything like that, I would much rather the vast percentage of the population adhered to the guidance & prevented a lockdown as I'd fear the consequences of another lockdown would be irreversible for many people - I found myself today phoning a well known construction contractor and warning that if his two van loads of 6 men continued to travel in the same vans to a nearby construction site & pop into the local shop with no masks I'll be phoning the police - that is not me but this cannot continue as I said above I fear what another lockdown will do on wider society

LCohen

And as I stated in a post on the previous page I am really concerned that large sections of the economy cannot recover whilst Covid lingers in the background. The idea that a recovery can be mounted whilst Covid hangs around with the capacity to accelerate at any time looks hopeful to the point of incredible

magpie seanie

Missed a bit here......

Firstly - the Roscommon "incident". The GAA guidelines on Return to Play were complied with from my reading/knowledge of the event. These guidelines have been approved by government. Like the Donegal/Mayo game the previous week this is a non-story. People don't seem to understand that there's an exemption for elite sports which intercounty GAA (rightly) qualifies as. The Guidelines are very detailed and cover practically all things you can think of. A shame Garda time was wasted on this.

Secondly - a lockdown. Unfortunately we have let things get totally out of control. After suffering the pain of the first lockdown we unfortunately went back to virtually normal which was ridiculous and had produced the inevitable result. Bottom line is we have to do it again and this time come out of it smarter and different. We will have to accept some certain controls on our lives until a vaccine is available. Delaying the second lockdown is only extending how long it will be. This is sadly just the truth. I think we can suppress the virus and keep it at a low level if we're willing to take some pain. I just think too many people just don't care though....I'm alright Jack...

Rossfan

100% right on the "chicken curry" business in Boyle Seánie. All was set up in accordance with guidelines.
Hard to disagree with your Covid comments either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM