Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: LCohen on June 07, 2019, 01:55:30 PM
My point is the the contributors to this thread who claim to know are at best speculating and probably at something a bit worse than that.

LCohen

Quote from: five points on June 07, 2019, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: LCohen on June 07, 2019, 01:56:26 PM

Time action was taken to put a stir to these fishing expeditions

What harm do they do?

Well whatever the harm is that other sports don't tolerate. Maybe there is something to be said for taking your medicine

five points

Quote from: LCohen on June 07, 2019, 02:29:04 PM
Well whatever the harm is that other sports don't tolerate. Maybe there is something to be said for taking your medicine

Not so sure about that now. At least under our system if a ref makes a wrong call, an innocent player won't suffer a suspension.

LCohen

Quote from: five points on June 07, 2019, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: LCohen on June 07, 2019, 02:29:04 PM

Not so sure about that now. At least under our system if a ref makes a wrong call, an innocent player won't suffer a suspension.

At no point did I say that players shouldn't have a right of appeal. I just don't think they should automatically appeal on the of chance of a procedural error. Donaghy is guilty. Everybody knows he is guilty. You only have to look at the video of him committing the act to know he is guilty of committing the offence. The appeal in this instance was a disgrace.

Itchy

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 07, 2019, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: Westside on June 07, 2019, 01:12:13 PM
Do the lads who believe that Burns wasn't concussed think maybe after seeing the joke of an appeal that went ahead that perhaps the Armagh management might be the sort who would play a lad who had been concussed...?

Plenty of counties make appeals when they shouldn't. Sometimes they are even successful

Time action was taken to put a stop to these fishing expeditions

They waste the time of GAA volunteers. Sometimes they are fair and warranted in the case of a bad call. However, the committee reviewing should have the authority to call out the spurious appeals and be empowered to, for example, double the suspension if they find that they were time wasting. While there is no deterrent it will keep happening.

Solo_run

From what I have heard the Donaghy red card was appealed based on a technicality. The ref showed a yellow before the red. We accept it was a red and the decision rightfully stands.

five points

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2019, 03:07:40 PM
They waste the time of GAA volunteers.

The volunteers in question are well shod for their trouble.

five points

Quote from: Solo_run on June 07, 2019, 03:12:17 PM
From what I have heard the Donaghy red card was appealed based on a technicality. The ref showed a yellow before the red. We accept it was a red and the decision rightfully stands.

That's very fair too. No harm in keeping refs on their toes.

Taylor

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2019, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 07, 2019, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: Westside on June 07, 2019, 01:12:13 PM
Do the lads who believe that Burns wasn't concussed think maybe after seeing the joke of an appeal that went ahead that perhaps the Armagh management might be the sort who would play a lad who had been concussed...?

Plenty of counties make appeals when they shouldn't. Sometimes they are even successful

Time action was taken to put a stop to these fishing expeditions

They waste the time of GAA volunteers. Sometimes they are fair and warranted in the case of a bad call. However, the committee reviewing should have the authority to call out the spurious appeals and be empowered to, for example, double the suspension if they find that they were time wasting. While there is no deterrent it will keep happening.

Double the suspension if it is upheld.

They already do this in other sports - is it rugby or soccer?

Ball Hopper

Aussie Rules give a lesser penalty if the player accepts the charge immediately.

Solo_run

What I would suggest is that if the appeals committee can show leniency then they should be allowed to increase bans to.

five points

Quote from: Solo_run on June 07, 2019, 03:43:15 PM
What if the ban is not just in the first place but someone else interprets it as just? Should they have their ban doubled?

You simply cannot take away the appeals process or punish someone for appealing. What I would suggest is that of the appeals committee can show leniency then they should be allowed to increase bans to.
Nail on head. Appeals committees can indeed increase bans.

Itchy

Quote from: five points on June 07, 2019, 03:24:32 PM

I am sure the ref wrote in his report that it was a straight red, so trying to get off as he accidentally pulled a yellow for a split second before the red is pathetic carry on.

Solo_run

Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2019, 03:53:12 PM

I am sure the ref wrote in his report that it was a straight red, so trying to get off as he accidentally pulled a yellow for a split second before the red is pathetic carry on.

Have you seen the report?

Itchy

Quote from: Solo_run on June 07, 2019, 04:02:11 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 07, 2019, 03:53:12 PM

Have you seen the report?

If the report said two yellows there would be no suspension and no appeal so it had to say straight red. I'm sorry if this is too difficult for you to comprehend.