Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Started by TheMaster, February 13, 2019, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on February 23, 2019, 10:56:17 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on February 23, 2019, 02:27:57 PM
I'm in disbelief if I'm honest , wtf like. What is wrong with them , has everyone lost their balls in modern Ireland . Lackeys
It's no surprise tbh. People in our association are very easily nobbled, right down to the grassroots ordinary Joe. What is good for the association is good for you. If you are in support of this motion, you are anti-GAA and effectively you are voting against yourself.
It's not the volunteers that make the association, it's the people who make them volunteer that do.

Classic quote - But don't say it too loud. You will be categorised as 'divisive and mean-spirited'

Dubhaltach

An absolute disgrace. It's been clear for a while now that Congress is a total fraud. If it was truly democratic, every county board would have had a vote on every one of the motions before congress happens. Then it would just be a matter of turning up and voting as mandated. Instead we get a bunch of old gombeen delegates that turn up and get told what to do by an increasingly Dublin dominated Ard- Comhairle (John Horan and Tom Ryan).

This vote shouldn't even have been close. We're talking about moving one match here in the interest fairness and the integrity of the competition. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Outside of money, is there any other reason that the decision might be beneficial for counties outside of Dublin? Fair play to the likes of Donegal, Mayo, Galway and Cork for voting in favour. Shame on the counties that didn't, particularly the once proud county of Meath, now firmly in the position of the croppy lying down.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dubhaltach on February 24, 2019, 10:44:36 AM
An absolute disgrace. It's been clear for a while now that Congress is a total fraud. If it was truly democratic, every county board would have had a vote on every one of the motions before congress happens. Then it would just be a matter of turning up and voting as mandated. Instead we get a bunch of old gombeen delegates that turn up and get told what to do by an increasingly Dublin dominated Ard- Comhairle (John Horan and Tom Ryan).

This vote shouldn't even have been close. We're talking about moving one match here in the interest fairness and the integrity of the competition. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Outside of money, is there any other reason that the decision might be beneficial for counties outside of Dublin? Fair play to the likes of Donegal, Mayo, Galway and Cork for voting in favour. Shame on the counties that didn't, particularly the once proud county of Meath, now firmly in the position of the croppy lying down.
How did you find out that these counties voted for the motion?

J70

Quote from: larryin89 on February 23, 2019, 02:27:57 PM
I'm in disbelief if I'm honest , wtf like. What is wrong with them , has everyone lost their balls in modern Ireland . Lackeys

Any county that voted to continue to allow Dublin two home games better not say a f**king word if they end up in Dublin's group with two away games like we did last year.

Gobshites.

Maiden1

Quote from: armaghniac on February 23, 2019, 11:06:50 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on February 23, 2019, 03:49:50 PM
Bad decision for the wider Gaa public but committee  men are influenced by income so I thought a smarter wording would have been no nominate the same ground for their home game and neutral game for the quarter final series  which would have been a lot harder to turn down as the GAA could say to Dublin you can always nominate Croker for your home quarter final and say Thurles or Nowlan Park or Pairc Ui Coaimh for their neutral game!

Absolutely. A proposal that the GAA not fix a neutral game at a venue used a home venue in the series, unless both counties agree, would have been the motion.

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 23, 2019, 02:51:03 PM
If the gaa hierarchy said the winners of the each provincial championship get 2 home games in the super 8 they could get what want (i.e. Dublin get 2 home games) without making it obvious that they want the revenue of Dublin having 2 home games.

Surely there are two Provincial champions in each group?
Perhaps the rule could be after 5 or more provincials in a row, that  should ensure Ulster doesn't get it anyway.
Yes 2 provincial champions both get 2 home games

Last year could be

Dublin vs Donegal
Tyrone vs Roscommon

Dublin vs Tyrone
Donegal vs Roscommon

Roscommon vs Dublin
Donegal vs Tyrone

Dublin and Donegal as provincial winners get 2 home games
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Rossfan

Donegal played Dublin in Croke Pk and Ros in the Hyde.
Dublin did get 2 games in Croke Park and now will continue to do so.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
Donegal played Dublin in Croke Pk and Ros in the Hyde.
Dublin did get 2 games in Croke Park and now will continue to do so.
Don't forget semi final and final. Why didn't the motion included them? Very same principal.

Rossfan

Principle.
The GAA delegates had a chance to vote for a measure of fair play yesterday but 64% of them failed the test.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Are there are any county finals played in home grounds of clubs?

I'm sure next time the motion will include the semi and final.

Lar Naparka

I wouldn't get too bothered about the Super 8s as I can't see the series lasting beyond this year. There may have been a novelty aspect to this competition last year but the inherent weaknesses are there for all to see. Clubs are kicking up a fuss over the cutback on weekends available for their competitions and they have to be listened to.
There aren't enough quality teams about to make the series competitive and the results of too many matches are never in doubt before the ball is thrown in. It's obvious that many players are just going through the motions as they can't be bothered when they know they are going to get nowhere.
Any strong county, aka, Dublin. can use the games against the no-hopers as training/tactical exercises and can't be expected to put their best fifteen on display every time they play.
The upshot of it all is that Gah can't expect to make money out of this mickey mouse series of meaningless games and I cannot see any logic in persevering with it much longer.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2019, 09:44:51 PM
I wouldn't get too bothered about the Super 8s as I can't see the series lasting beyond this year. There may have been a novelty aspect to this competition last year but the inherent weaknesses are there for all to see. Clubs are kicking up a fuss over the cutback on weekends available for their competitions and they have to be listened to.
There aren't enough quality teams about to make the series competitive and the results of too many matches are never in doubt before the ball is thrown in. It's obvious that many players are just going through the motions as they can't be bothered when they know they are going to get nowhere.
Any strong county, aka, Dublin. can use the games against the no-hopers as training/tactical exercises and can't be expected to put their best fifteen on display every time they play.
The upshot of it all is that Gah can't expect to make money out of this mickey mouse series of meaningless games and I cannot see any logic in persevering with it much longer.

I would not get to caught up in most of the other AI championship competitions such as the Leinster and Munster Championships either.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2019, 09:35:11 PM
Are there are any county finals played in home grounds of clubs?

I'm sure next time the motion will include the semi and final.
Not that I'm away of.
Maybe in Louth.

Farrandeelin

I think every provincial winner should get to play in CP. They've won a prize so fair play to them. Donegal's motion was worded correctly. A sad, sad weekend for our association.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

There's a growing disillusionment with the way the GAA is going - particularly the high-handed manner in which HQ completely disregards their membership in favour of 'maximising resources'. The GAA as a sporting organisation was always going to have to find a balance between revenue and purely sporting decisions, but they have decided to prioritise revenue at practically every opportunity.
They will kill off the loyal support throughout the country. There have been generations of 'GAA people' that will disappear. Only then will they realise that many Dublin supporters (and I don't mean this disrespectfully) are not the same 'GAA people' and will disappear very quickly if the entertainment value isn't there - they will move on to Man Utd, Leinster Rugby, Shamrock Rovers etc.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 24, 2019, 09:44:51 PM
I wouldn't get too bothered about the Super 8s as I can't see the series lasting beyond this year. There may have been a novelty aspect to this competition last year but the inherent weaknesses are there for all to see.
Mayo were definitely missed last year, and the great story of Monaghan's successful path through to the semis was overshadowed by the negative overall media reaction to it. The main negative is the inevitable dead rubbers.

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 25, 2019, 06:20:15 AM
I think every provincial winner should get to play in CP. They've won a prize so fair play to them. Donegal's motion was worded correctly. A sad, sad weekend for our association.
When Dublin won Leinster under the old format, it was QF, SF and Final in Croker. The new format guarantees at least one game outside of Croker.
As you said, provincial winners should play in Croke Park.
I believe teams should be able to nominate whatever home venue they wish. If Super 8 was in place in the decade or so when Meath were perennial challengers, they would have chosen Croke Park instead of Navan as their Super 8 home venue. No doubt about it.

While the 4 provincial winners playing each other in Croker makes a lot of sense, the other 4 when they play each other should be in neutral provincial venues. That would mean if Dublin didn't win Leinster but got to the S8, there would only be 1/3 games in Croke Park.

I think they got the order of the games spot on last year, and have made a balls of it this year, again by listening to moaners instead of common sense. Donegal to the fore in this.

The easiest way to qualify for the S8 is by winning your provincial title. You generally play less games that other teams in your province and you have the advantage of only playing one other provincial winner in your S8 group (whereas non-provincial winners will have two provincial champs in their group). Giving them the added advantage of having their home game first is a step too far, and only increases the chances of dead rubbers in the final game.

And remember Phase 2 is the Croke Park round, which means that potential dead rubber round is where the provincial champion will be away. So the one Dublin away game could well count for absolutely nothing.
Donegal playing a blinder.