Tech Help

Started by supersarsfields, May 16, 2007, 09:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Sorry for starting a new thread on this but I'm looking a bit of help. Haven't a clue about computers and mine seems to be playing up. Pictures on websites are coming up as a red X in the top corner instead of loading up the picture. I know there was something on here before about it and it was something to do with my settings but i can't remember how to fix it? Any of you IT heads help me out?

rashCharacter

The first thing to check would be your internet options.
Assuming your using internet explorer.
Click on the tools menu and select Internet Options.  Click the advanced tab, far right.
About 2/3 down the list you'll find the multimedia section, make sure there is a tick in the box beside Show Pictures

supersarsfields

Tried that there but there was a tick in that box already. So it must be something else I've fecked up. It's hard annoying!!

aontroim

Assuming you are using IE as browser try going through the following;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283807 remember to check after each step if things are working again.

supersarsfields

Cheers Aontroim, tried all them steps but no joy!!

Still got stupid fecking red x's all over the place.
Even went for a system re-set to see if that would work but no luck!!

Gnevin

Have you downloaded any Spyware , ad or virus blockers lately ? Or a new firewall?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

aontroim

Yes could be ad blockers or similar - otherwise if none of the above give this a try;

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=30885

But only if you are comfortable with editing the registry (instructions provided)

lurganblue

didnt want to start a new thread for this.

my laptop has picked up a trojan horse virus. anyone know the best way to get rid of this or is it fucked

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 16, 2007, 09:58:25 AM
Sorry for starting a new thread on this but I'm looking a bit of help. Haven't a clue about computers and mine seems to be playing up. Pictures on websites are coming up as a red X in the top corner instead of loading up the picture. I know there was something on here before about it and it was something to do with my settings but i can't remember how to fix it? Any of you IT heads help me out?

Try this

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Square Ball

Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2007, 05:09:54 AM

my laptop has picked up a trojan horse virus. anyone know the best way to get rid of this or is it fucked

what one? what virus checker are you using?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

lurganblue

Quote from: Square Ball on August 04, 2007, 11:42:37 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2007, 05:09:54 AM

what one? what virus checker are you using?

the computer keeps telling me i have to buy some upgrade to get rid of it. Think it was avast

Homer

Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2007, 04:33:28 PM
the computer keeps telling me i have to buy some upgrade to get rid of it. Think it was avast

That's probably the trojan horse / virus trying to part you from your hard earned money.

Avast really should have caught it. I'd recommend installing another anti-virus program to try an remedy this.

ClamWin,

http://www.clamwin.com/

is an Open Source antivirus (aka free). Try install it and run a system scan hopefully it will be able to find and fix the problem.

lurganblue

Quote from: Homer on August 04, 2007, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 04, 2007, 04:33:28 PM

That's probably the trojan horse / virus trying to part you from your hard earned money.

Avast really should have caught it. I'd recommend installing another anti-virus program to try an remedy this.

ClamWin,

http://www.clamwin.com/

is an Open Source antivirus (aka free). Try install it and run a system scan hopefully it will be able to find and fix the problem.

aye i thought that. there was no way i was putting credit card details in when the computer was fecked.
Avast is running a scan now, so if i dont get rid of it through that i will try to installing that other one. thanks lads

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

lurganblue

well i'm using the laptop at the minute so it seems to have worked ok (fingers crossed).
the scan went on for about 2 hours but it did find some infected files which i deleted. hopefully that has done the trick...

the virus seemed to f**k up when i open the internet. it changed my homepage settings.