Heaney lambastes Tyrone cheats (sort of)

Started by ONeill, May 15, 2007, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Bensars on May 17, 2007, 01:22:18 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 17, 2007, 01:11:26 PM
How many players does ricey "get at" during the course of a year?
How many of those players retalliate?
If you have players on your team fit to persistently get at players on other teams then it is hypocrytical to complain when someone does the same to you.
Hughes punched...so he had to go. End of story.

Not that your bitter  !!!

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 28, 2007, 12:35:37 PM
Quote from: realredhandfan on March 28, 2007, 12:02:25 PM
Actually not quite LB I stood on the canal end in 1993 waving the old oak leaf flag amongst all the cork uns.  It was the All Ireland final of 1995 that cemented my accrid bitterness against most things Derry with my mum and my wife and the odd Joe Brolly artcile being the only notable exceptions since.   

I have to admit I was at the 95 final but couldnt bring myself to support tyrone after the way the fans a players reacted to beating Derry earlier in the year. I had a feeling of justice being done in the final.
However, my bitterness has subsided over the years and I also have to admit I was happy to see tyrone win their first all-ireland...and a bit jealous to see them win the second  :-[

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)          It must hurt tbrick !!   

Where do you get bitterness from Bensars? Are you trying to justify Hughes throwing a punch? I was merely pointing out that no matter what the circumstances, if you punch you must go. Trying to justify him punching by complaining about hinphy "getting at him" is hypocrytical especially when you have a player on your team that gets at everyone he marks.

As for hurting...if you read my post again you will see how it made me feel. Happy the first time, then a bit jealous the second time.
What part of that didn't you understand? Are all those drinkin seshuns you've been on at matches finally catching up on you?
Mind you one thing that does hurt is that if there had been a back door back in the 90's I'd say Derry could well have had another title...but then so might have Donegal and Down.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If you have players on your team fit to persistently get at players on other teams then it is hypocrytical to complain when someone does the same to you.

Please show me where I questioned Hughes' punishment. My issue was with Hinphey's theatrics, period.

Edit: Ricey dishes the verbal and fair physical, not the sly, sneaky physical like Hinphey (that's what I mean by 'get at'), and I've never seen Ricey drop like dark matter a la Hinphey.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Estimator

QuoteQuote from: Estimator on Today at 10:36:48 AM
Hinphey is some man to have been
slyly and persistently
at Hughes.  From the throw in Hinphy was marking Cavanagh

Of course, marking can't dynamically change, and you never come close to another player, how stupid of me!

Sorry, for not making my point clearly. It was obvious that part of Derry's game plan that day was for Hinphey to follow Cavanagh where ever he went! So, I find it very strange for someone to say that Hinphey was persistently at Hughes, before he got sent off

Were you even at that game? Long before Hughes eventually reacted I thought that Hinphey was hell-bent on winding him up to breaking-point – he missed no possible opportunity, and given that both he and Hughes were operating primarily in the same third of the pitch that's hardly surprising, is it (regardless of whom he was 'marking')?  Hence the persistence!

I was indeed at the game. Had a decent enough view of the punch.  Never really seen Hinphey at Hughes, but he was definitely torturing Cavanagh.
Ulster League Champions 2009

full back

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 17, 2007, 01:36:58 PM
Edit: Ricey dishes the verbal and fair physical, not the sly, sneaky physical like Hinphey (that's what I mean by 'get at'), and I've never seen Ricey drop like dark matter a la Hinphey.

Are you serious?

tbrick18

Please show me where I questioned Hughes' punishment. My issue was with Hinphey's theatrics, period.

fair and physical!!!
well you're half right.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: full back on May 17, 2007, 01:59:04 PM

Are you serious?

OK then, fairer  ;), but absolutely serious about Hinphey. Anyway, the point was, if you dish it, you should take it, not act the big girl's blouse.

full back

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 17, 2007, 02:12:53 PM

Are you serious?

OK then, fairer  ;), but absolutely serious about Hinphey. Anyway, the point was, if you dish it, you should take it, not act the big girl's blouse.

Oh right, I think I have you now.
It is ok for Ricey to give sly sneaky digs because he doesnt drop like a sack of spuds if hit back
It is ok for his colleagues to act like a "big girl's blouse" because they didnt hit anyone in the first place
Am I correct?

Goats Do Shave

Kinda sick of these arguments...i'll scrap that post!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: full back on May 17, 2007, 02:23:10 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 17, 2007, 02:12:53 PM

Are you serious?

Oh right, I think I have you now.
It is ok for Ricey to give sly sneaky digs because he doesnt drop like a sack of spuds if hit back
It is ok for his colleagues to act like a "big girl's blouse" because they didnt hit anyone in the first place
Am I correct?

Yawn, yawn!  Hinphey's in a whole different league of slyness (or at least, he was that day), and no, sneaky digs are not all right, not ever, never.  Let's stick to this incident please: Hinphey dished it, and wimped when Hughes sinned in (foolish) retribution ???

Armamike

Maybe Heaney has the oak leaf blinkers on, or maybe not.  We can all find instances of players diving and feigning injury. But with Tyrone in 2003 it just seemed to be more systematic and preplanned  - too many players were at it to be anything else.
That's just, like your opinion man.

bigpaul

It never ceases to amaze me how half-truths can come to be accepted as fact through time ! Gregory Mc Cartan didn't hit Brian Mc Guigan on the face with the ball, he hit him on the back of the head !!!!
If Sean Cavanagh left Casement Park in 2003 with a mark on his face, he must have got it by grabbing his face a little over-entusiastically! The television footage prooves that it wasn't due to O'Kanes' tackle!
Anyone who argues that Diarmaid Marsden deserved to be sent off in the 2003 All-Ireland Final is totally biased in favour of Tyrone , or has never played football 'in anger'! Colin Mackle fills both criteria!   

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on May 17, 2007, 01:31:08 PM
Sean Cavanagh put Jurgen Klinsmann to shame when he got Derry's Padraig O'Kane sent off for a second yellow card in Casement Park

Classy statement there. An opinion (of his) no doubt but totally misinformed (in mine). I must dig the video out tonight to confirm what I remember. I definitely recall Cavanagh with his facial wound from the incident.

If you saw Cavanagh with a facial wound after said incident, you must be losing your mind as quickly as your hair.  The only factually incorrect part of the above statement from Heaney was that O'Kane received a straight red card for the incident.

No county or team is above the behaviour outlined by Heaney in the article and whilst he may have been a bit over the top in his criticism of Tyrone and whilst his example of 'honest' Francie Bellew has quite rightly been ridiculed, you are doing yourself no favours by making things up to validate your weak argument. Are you SammyG in disguise?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

Quote from: bigpaul on May 18, 2007, 12:23:00 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how half-truths can come to be accepted as fact through time ! Gregory Mc Cartan didn't hit Brian Mc Guigan on the face with the ball, he hit him on the back of the head !!!!
If Sean Cavanagh left Casement Park in 2003 with a mark on his face, he must have got it by grabbing his face a little over-entusiastically! The television footage prooves that it wasn't due to O'Kanes' tackle!
Anyone who argues that Diarmaid Marsden deserved to be sent off in the 2003 All-Ireland Final is totally biased in favour of Tyrone , or has never played football 'in anger'! Colin Mackle fills both criteria!   

Absolute nonsense. I dug out the video last night as I was beginning to think I was losing it. Sometimes if you're surrounded by idiots you begin to think they're correct. However, I was rather relieved to see that my memory was intact. McCartan was ahead of McGuigan, turned and slapped the ball straight into the side of his face. McGuigan went down on one knee, holding his eye, for approximately 4 seconds. So your statement of It never ceases to amaze me how half-truths can come to be accepted as fact through time is absolutely true and is something you can learn from yourself.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2007, 09:12:00 AM
Quote from: bigpaul on May 18, 2007, 12:23:00 AM

Absolute nonsense. I dug out the video last night as I was beginning to think I was losing it. Sometimes if you're surrounded by idiots you begin to think they're correct. However, I was rather relieved to see that my memory was intact. McCartan was ahead of McGuigan, turned and slapped the ball straight into the side of his face. McGuigan went down on one knee, holding his eye, for approximately 4 seconds. So your statement of It never ceases to amaze me how half-truths can come to be accepted as fact through time is absolutely true and is something you can learn from yourself.

I think Heaney should volunteer, in the interests of research for objectivity in journalism, to have himself surprised by having a ball thrown into his face, totally unexpectedly. Then we'll analyse his reaction, being more than happy to provide him with the feedback of course on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is remaining ramrod straight, and 10 is falling like his sack of spuds ;)

ONeill

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 18, 2007, 08:32:49 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 17, 2007, 01:31:08 PM
Sean Cavanagh put Jurgen Klinsmann to shame when he got Derry's Padraig O'Kane sent off for a second yellow card in Casement Park

Classy statement there. An opinion (of his) no doubt but totally misinformed (in mine). I must dig the video out tonight to confirm what I remember. I definitely recall Cavanagh with his facial wound from the incident.

If you saw Cavanagh with a facial wound after said incident, you must be losing your mind as quickly as your hair.  The only factually incorrect part of the above statement from Heaney was that O'Kane received a straight red card for the incident.

I can distinctly remember Cavanagh leaving Casement Park with the 'scratch' and also remember a discussion about it that night. Again, I'll dig out the video tonight to remind myself.

From the independent:

Given what had gone on in the opening half, O'Kane's indiscretion appeared harmless, but he accepted his medicine with remarkable grace. As he walked off, the Derry man took a diversion in Cavanagh's direction and bent down to offer what looked - from the distance - like a heartfelt apology. It was an act of sportsmanship which was sadly lacking elsewhere.

By the way, were you at the match?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.