Down v Derry 1994

Started by Mourne Rover, March 27, 2007, 12:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Too true Max.  I will never forget that game.  I remember watching extracts of it in a coaching day when we had a fella in to teach us how to tackle properly(I only watched some of it before any smart comments are made :P)  The amount of blocking and proper shoulder charges that day were unbelieveable.  The style of football played by Down that day was the forerunner I think for Spillane's "puke" football.  The two wing forwards worked the whole field and anu time a Derry man went down about 4 Down players surrounded him like flys round....

A great game altogther!

tbrick18

Anyone remember the Derry v Down game in 92? I think it was first round and maybe played in Casement?
Derry won that day and I remember it being a good game (but maybe thats just rose tinted glasses). It was Eamon Burns only notable performance for Derry that day, he couldnt miss. Derry thought they had the Ulster and All-Ireland won that day, then up popped Donegal...gutted.

realredhandfan

I was at that game, I had a bit of a soft spot for Down.  Was that Withnells last major game for Down as target man, until a few years later. 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 28, 2007, 11:10:38 AM
I had a bit of a soft spot for Down. . 
wouldnt be because of the opposition would it?
:D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 28, 2007, 11:03:30 AM
Anyone remember the Derry v Down game in 92? I think it was first round and maybe played in Casement?
Derry won that day and I remember it being a good game (but maybe thats just rose tinted glasses). It was Eamon Burns only notable performance for Derry that day, he couldnt miss. Derry thought they had the Ulster and All-Ireland won that day, then up popped Donegal...gutted.
Indeed Derry were rank against Donegal that day in clones. I was disgusted heading home.

BC1 - you were not an out and out score getter, you couldnt really tackle - What kind of a Full Forward were you ! !
Think you better keep quiet and leave the elevated legendary status you still have with a lot of us remaining!
;) :D

brokencrossbar1

QuoteBC1 - you were not an out and out score getter, you couldnt really tackle - What kind of a Full Forward were you ! !

A very lucky one ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 28, 2007, 11:34:41 AM
QuoteBC1 - you were not an out and out score getter, you couldnt really tackle - What kind of a Full Forward were you ! !

A very lucky one ;)
isn't blackmail illegal!
Still you managed to hold on to the old position and thats all that matters!

realredhandfan

Actually not quite LB I stood on the canal end in 1993 waving the old oak leaf flag amongst all the cork uns.  It was the All Ireland final of 1995 that cemented my accrid bitterness against most things Derry with my mum and my wife and the odd Joe Brolly artcile being the only notable exceptions since.   

lynchbhoy

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 28, 2007, 12:02:25 PM
Actually not quite LB I stood on the canal end in 1993 waving the old oak leaf flag amongst all the cork uns.  It was the All Ireland final of 1995 that cemented my accrid bitterness against most things Derry with my mum and my wife and the odd Joe Brolly artcile being the only notable exceptions since.   
(I was only joking)
I was in the canal end too. Found the Corkonians to be great that day.
There are a load on both sides that detest each other. Brolly is a funny one - his mothers a tyronie!

tbrick18

Quote from: realredhandfan on March 28, 2007, 12:02:25 PM

I have to admit I was at the 95 final but couldnt bring myself to support tyrone after the way the fans a players reacted to beating Derry earlier in the year. I had a feeling of justice being done in the final.
However, my bitterness has subsided over the years and I also have to admit I was happy to see tyrone win their first all-ireland...and a bit jealous to see them win the second  :-[

realredhandfan

I know your sleggin LB and my response is tongue in cheek,  but add all this to my extended family from Draperstown and you'll see why I dread Derry defeats more than Armagh.     

lynchbhoy

I have no problem supporting the Tyronies tbrick.

I know they have some bad elements within their support - but maybe if we had enough of a following , we'd have some bad ones too

RRBF - I'd keep it quiet about the draperstown thing...
Just keep shaving between yer toes and say nothing...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I still have a copy of the Derry Down game on VHS, recorded from Channel 4's Gaelic Games series which was on every Saturday morning. Sad loss when they stopped that programme. The tape is a bit tired now...but still dust it down now and again, cracker of a match.
Ive never had a problem supporting the other Ulster teams in the All-Ireland series....wee bit of envy without doubt but still happy to see them succeeding on the national stage.

Brick Tamlin

Without a doubt the best game ive ever witnessed, absolutely had everything ye could want in a match and more.
i can honestly say ive seen it at least 21 times, never get sick of although i have to say that Frickin Jimmy Smyth has one of the most torturous voices that could ever be heard commentating.

Maximus Marillius

Lynchboy Derry beat Down in a real sunny day in fully packed casement in 92, Burns did not play. We we national league champs after disposing of a Plunket Donaghey inspired :D Tyron and Down were All Ireland champs, another super game with an electricic atmosphere. Burns played in the drawn game against Down in 91 when he hit that outrageous score, the ref gave a free that was not a free to Down to draw the match, which they subsequently won and then went on to make history. The ref in question was that hateful hoor Greenan