Started by APM, July 23, 2018, 11:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Cunny Funt

Quote from: APM on July 23, 2018, 03:50:04 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 23, 2018, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: APM on July 23, 2018, 11:28:20 AM
Brolly on the Sunday game last night talking
Stopped reading after that. Nobody with any sense pays any attention to Brolly. I didn't watch the Sunday game last night but i bet he didn't talk about the games and how they were won and lost like he is paid to do.

Lovely manners, not surprising given your moniker! Nice to see you have such an open mind.

I get it - you don't like Joe Brolly.  What difference does it make whether my post was prompted by something said by Joe Brolly or Joe Bloggs.  My first line could have been that John Horan is going to look at a tiered championship.  Would that have made my post any more valid?
My manners are better than Joe Brolly, i have a far more open mind than him also and can do it without seeking attention.  No more valid as John Horan is a figure head with no power, he's there to cut ribbons and present cups.

criostlinn

The only thing that surprised me about brolly's incoherent ramblings last night is that he didn't suggest calling it the Joe Brolly cup. Maybe he didn't like the idea of putting his name to a second tier competition. 

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: criostlinn on July 23, 2018, 07:17:50 PM
The only thing that surprised me about brolly's incoherent ramblings last night is that he didn't suggest calling it the Joe Brolly cup. Maybe he didn't like the idea of putting his name to a second tier competition.

That name is already taken. Derry junior football champions win the Joe Brolly Cup.

Named after his grandfather.

trileacman

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 05:33:26 PM
Most teams from 2-18 could beat each other if the wind is blowing the right way with injuries, inclination and referees. Dublin are literally the only team immune from that, simply because they are ridiculously deep and ridiculously better than everyone.

Brolly's just talking his usual shíte to generate some publicity amidst a complete PR failure in the Super 8. Very few are excited about senior IC football right now.

I fell dirty agreeing with you but this is the nail on the head here.

Monaghan, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal and Galway are all eminently beatable sides by anyone in the top 16 teams. Kildare, Meath, Fermanagh, Down and Roscommon have all proved in the last 16 months.

This is the way it was years ago too. Monaghan, Sligo and Antrim could put Kerry to the pin of their collar, Cork were regularly beating them. What is now recalled as a great Tyrone team were handed championship defeats by Mayo, Derry, Meath, Cork, Laois, Donegal and Sligo. An Armagh team that was respected the length of the country were beaten by Monaghan, Fermanagh and Wexford. There was potential for great upset and they were celebrated as great victories at the time.

The problem is now that with Dublin's dominance it belittles the quality of the other top 5 which in turn belittles the achievements of the teams who put it up to or defeat a top side.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

From the Bunker

Most teams from 2-18 could beat each other if the wind is blowing the right way with injuries, inclination and referees. Dublin are literally the only team immune from that, simply because they are ridiculously deep and ridiculously better than everyone.

Brolly's just talking his usual shíte to generate some publicity amidst a complete PR failure in the Super 8. Very few are excited about senior IC football right now.

Nail on the head!

We have entered the twilight zone of Scottish Premiership football. Dublin are Celtic. Loads of resources, loads of money, loads of options to make money, Big Support. All the rest in Scottish premier league football are much of a muchness!

Therealdonald

Quote from: trileacman on July 23, 2018, 10:07:39 PM

I fell dirty agreeing with you but this is the nail on the head here.

Monaghan, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal and Galway are all eminently beatable sides by anyone in the top 16 teams. Kildare, Meath, Fermanagh, Down and Roscommon have all proved in the last 16 months.

This is the way it was years ago too. Monaghan, Sligo and Antrim could put Kerry to the pin of their collar, Cork were regularly beating them. What is now recalled as a great Tyrone team were handed championship defeats by Mayo, Derry, Meath, Cork, Laois, Donegal and Sligo. An Armagh team that was respected the length of the country were beaten by Monaghan, Fermanagh and Wexford. There was potential for great upset and they were celebrated as great victories at the time.

The problem is now that with Dublin's dominance it belittles the quality of the other top 5 which in turn belittles the achievements of the teams who put it up to or defeat a top side.

Defeats in a the knockout stages of the Championship, someone do the research, take for example since 2013, which teams have knocked Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal, Mayo and Kerry out of the Sam Maguire race? I'd imagine there are no shocks. Add in Monaghan (shocked by Longford once). Its clear that the days of the underdog are over in the GAA. Get the heads around this. Embrace the Tier because its coming.

Owen Brannigan

One of the major issues being ignored at present is the wear and tear as well as time commitment undertaken by teams involved in the qualifiers if they manage to progress to the end of round 4 never mind another three games in the Super 8 regardless of success. 

If Armagh had beaten Roscommon, not beyond the bounds of possibility on another day, and then took the similar beating that are being doled out to Roscommon would have nothing to show for a season, be demoralised after such trouncing and the overall effect on the players would be to seriously affect the following season with some no longer willing or able to keep going.  That would be a first round provincial defeat, winning four games in five weeks and then three beatings in four weeks.

Therefore, any change to a tiered competition should remove the qualifier routes to cut down on the load placed on the 'weaker' teams. Start with round robin, finish with straight knock out and have no back door route from provincial competitions.  That way all teams in a province have a chance to be successful underdogs against local rivals and possibly win the championship.  They have round robin games against their league equivalents based on the positions that teams would assume in the league in the following year.  This would give them a few games followed by a small number of knock out games for the best teams in the tier. 

Three tiers would be necessary based on a combination of the results from the most recent league and the promotion/relegation situations for the next league format.  12 teams for the top tier to be reduced to eight for knockout so that the two relegated teams from Div 1 are included. Similar for intermediate and the remainder in junior. Provincial competitions run over a few weeks with all quarters on same weekend, same for semis and last week for final.

Just a suggestion.

BennyCake

Seriously, an open draw.

It's the only way.

Syferus

JoG2

Quote from: criostlinn on July 23, 2018, 07:17:50 PM

The Derry Junior Championship winners lift the Joe Brolly Cup ;-)

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 24, 2018, 12:19:59 AM
Time for an open draw.

Agreed. And let's have four of them based on province.