Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Well done Kildare. Two major victories in one week. Both well deserved. Best of luck with the rest of the Championship.

The Hill is Blue

Well done Kildare and hard luck Mayo. This win should bring Kildare on. It's been a long road for this brave Mayo team and unfortunately like many great Mayo teams before them this group seems destined to fall short.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

sligoman2

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 27, 2018, 12:39:48 PM
Really looking forward to seeing this game now.  I think it will be close and as I said earlier, it might spice up a championship which has been relatively tepid to this point.  Thank god the GAA did the right thing and gave the public what they wanted.  Hopefully they will think twice before making ad hoc decisions and issuing ultimatums. 

Hopefully lesson learned, it's not nothing it's NEWBRIDGE....
Just as I predicted.  Well done Kildare on both the game and your correct stance on newbridge. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Baile an tuaigh

Kildare subs put enough air in their wheels to get them over the line. I was impressed with the Irish Maradona thought he ran his heart out.

seafoid

Your heart would go out to the Mayo posters. It has been an incredible journey .

larryin89 Posts: 607Re: Your highlights of the 2014 season

The worst in my lifetime for disappointment  , i dont think ill ever get over the sheer agony of Limerick . I know ill get slated in here for being what looks like pathetic but it is my true feelings, its now October and i still think about it , i have kicked stones in anger when i have random  flashbacks.Its not all about the blaming of venue and ref either, things like if Hennelly had of just given it another bit of wellie i believe we'd be all Ireland champions now.It's sickening beyond belief. My worrry is now we might have to bury another generation without Sam and im getting closer to the muck too.

larryin89
•        

Re: 2016 Season. How did you see it?
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 09:47:42 PM »

Truly amazed at the resilience of our bucks. I truly believed we were a spent force after the galway game , i was upset as a supporter in mchale park that evening , for this team to end such a gallant era to an average fancy dan team in our own home didnt sit right but they did us proud again despite what neutrals say, tbh they dont have a friggin clue about this team , you really have to be a Mayo supporter to understand how they just fill you with pride and at this point now i think we are in a healthy position for 17.

What did the championship give us in general? It told us you have to be an absolute gladiator of a man to be part of a top team . I think youre kidding yourself if you think the likes of Galway, Cork ,Ros etc are anywhere near the level of top four/five . Its a different world , when you look at Mayo v dublin /kerry/tyrone/donegal these last few years in the latter stage of championship and compare it to earlier rounds against  teams not in that group you really see a difference .

Sidney

It might not feel like it to a Mayo person but there has to be something, as you say, almost spiritual about following a team like that. It's something bigger than just following a team, and as a Dublin supporter, I almost envy Mayo supporters.
We have all the advantages. Population, money, we play all our championship matches  and now, it seems, most of our league matches too, at home. It's a pleasure to watch this Dublin team, but given those advantages and now that we've won two All-Irelands and will probably come back for a good few more, I find myself becoming much less partisan. The thrill of winning has gone. There is no desperation to win. We should be winning.

When Dublin won in 2011, it was great. We were underdogs, we hadn't won it for 16 years, we hadn't been in a final for 16 years, and they way we won it coming from behind and winning with almost the last kick was thrilling. Every one of those 16 years was worth it for that moment.
Now it just isn't the same, and it probably never again will be. Dublin have had dark days, but they were nothing compared to what it must be like for a county that hasn't won for 62 years and has lost seven finals.  We may have been underdogs in 2011, but we will never be real underdogs. The feelings of disappointment must be magnified by ten when Mayo lose compared to what Dublin fans feel, the feeling of winning will be magnified by a similar amount should they win it. I find myself being reminded of Kilkenny people, who used to go on about the disappointment they felt in 1999 as if it was the most devastating thing that had happened to any county in history. Sorry lads, but you haven't a clue. You will never know disappointment or joy like Mayo.
I read in some paper that the other day that the Boston Red Sox failing to win a World Series for 86 years almost defined who Bostonians were as a people. There's a certain similarity alright, but they were professional players, most of whom weren't even from Boston. They might have been playing for the Yankees the next year.  The Mayo team is the Mayo people, and everybody in Mayo is a part of your team in some small way.
Mayo's continuing quest to win Sam is a heartbreaking yet beautiful  odyessy. We in Dublin will never know anything like it. In a strange way it's great for football in Mayo. Every year without Sam reinforces that hunger and reinforces the obsession. Mayo are always there or thereabouts at underage level, and few counties have reached more senior finals over the last 25 years. As long as the odyessy keeps going football in Mayo will never decline, it will only get stronger - it's as true a football county as there is. When Mayo finally win the All-Ireland, yes, you will regret that certain players didn't win All-Ireland medals, but every Mayo person will look back at every year and every defeat and realise that it was worth the journey.  Until then, you have no choice but to keep enduring,  keep working and keep hoping.

Mayo4Sam14

Sure look it you can only ride your luck for so long, this result could easily have come at any stage in the last two or three years
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on June 30, 2018, 08:50:57 PM
As refreshing as 3it is to see a Leinster team other than Dublin taking on the big guns, the realisation that I won't get to see Mayo in Croke Park is sinking in.
Always great to watch, play the game the right way and bring massive entertainment and colour to the championship.
Don't think this is 'the end' for them by any stretch.
Crippled with injuries, if they come back fresh next year they'll be right back in the mix.
Thanks Jinxy. Rough going at the moment but I'll survive as will Mayo. Well done Kildare. Better team won.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Who will possibly pack it in with Mayo after this year? Moran came back to earth this year after his amazing Indian summer last year. I thought Boyle has looked like he's been struggling all year. Even Higgins has begun to look human. Obviously Parsons is facing into a long road back.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2018, 09:36:08 PM
Who will possibly pack it in with Mayo after this year? Moran came back to earth this year after his amazing Indian summer last year. I thought Boyle has looked like he's been struggling all year. Even Higgins has begun to look human. Obviously Parsons is facing into a long road back.

S OShea

Jinxy

No one aside from Andy Moran should be making any snap decisions anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Well done Kildare.

Sad day for Mayo fans but we've had some great days. Too gutted to say anymore

Jinxy

It's all neutral venues for Round 4, is that correct?
I know the CCCC are back in control now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aaron Boone

That was the 100-page week that was.

Tony Baloney

Mayo4Sam14