Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The way I see it, Kildare don't really have anything to lose here, given that they have the moral high-ground, the backing of the wider GAA community and a legitimate legal case.
What is the absolute worst-case scenario here for the GAA?
If they give Mayo the walkover, they risk disrupting the entire championship season as the DRA, courts etc. will be then brought into play.
At the moment, I would say they are looking at a compromise, i.e. Tullamore, BUT if Kildare dig their heels in, HQ will ultimately give in.
They lose face, but with modern news cycles, everyone will move onto the Super 8s and they can draw a line under the saga.
The interesting bit for me is that they will then almost certainly try and legislate to prevent this happening again, i.e. you are awarded home advantage at the pleasure of the CCC and we have the final say.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 26, 2018, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 26, 2018, 01:32:19 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2018, 11:42:49 AM
David Gough appointed as ref.

Will he go to Croker or Newbridge?

Anyone else not that sold on him? He gives so many soft frees which always appears to benefit the forward.
He fairly clamped down on ye're lot in Salthill last year unlike Coldrick ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

It's such a tight schedule this year, a threat of legal action that would delay the championship is surely the only thing left that would focus the minds of the hierarchy at this point. They've comprehensively lost the PR battle, the bullshit talk of possible "animosity" between the fans outside Newbridge is - for me personally - so, so disappointing to hear, I'm disgusted with them to be very honest. That is not my experience of 99% of GAA fans.

I'm someone who would have defended the GAA strongly on many issues in the face of (sometimes warranted, other times completely unwarranted) huge criticism from other Irish people who basically wish it didn't exist. It's very hard to accept some of the rhetoric coming from the top about this and it'll be very hard to defend accusations of "Grab All Association" if Kildare are thrown out of the championship so the GAA could just make some more money off the back of one of the best supported counties in the country.

Fair fucks to Kildare GAA on this, I hope they are not forced into a climb-down, although if the press conference at 5pm has been cancelled who knows what the next development will be.

Solo_run

Walkover for Mayo - Unlikely
Match in Newbridge - Most likely
Match in Portloaise or another neutral venue - Likely
Match in Croke Park - very unlikely

RedHand88

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
100 pages before tomorrow?

Quickest thread to 100 pages ever!

Isn't it great there's so much interest in a round 3 qualifier. And people say the championship is losing followers 😁😁😁

Jinxy

One way or the other, I've a feeling we will have a decision this evening.
I think O'Neill was asked to pull the press conference to facilitate this.

Taylor

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 02:02:47 PM
One way or the other, I've a feeling we will have a decision this evening.
I think O'Neill was asked to pull the press conference to facilitate this.

There has to be a decision asap given there are 4 counties involved not to mention supporters already paying out their hard earned cash for a double header that doesnt exist

Jinxy

I'm kind of hoping Cavan and Tyrone are sent back to Brewster back but Tyrone refuse to go and demand the game goes ahead in Croke Park.
We need to pull Tyrone into this mess somehow in order to hit DEFCON 1.

straightred

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 26, 2018, 02:00:45 PM
It's such a tight schedule this year, a threat of legal action that would delay the championship is surely the only thing left that would focus the minds of the hierarchy at this point. They've comprehensively lost the PR battle, the bullshit talk of possible "animosity" between the fans outside Newbridge is - for me personally - so, so disappointing to hear, I'm disgusted with them to be very honest. That is not my experience of 99% of GAA fans.

I'm someone who would have defended the GAA strongly on many issues in the face of (sometimes warranted, other times completely unwarranted) huge criticism from other Irish people who basically wish it didn't exist. It's very hard to accept some of the rhetoric coming from the top about this and it'll be very hard to defend accusations of "Grab All Association" if Kildare are thrown out of the championship so the GAA could just make some more money off the back of one of the best supported counties in the country.

Fair f**ks to Kildare GAA on this, I hope they are not forced into a climb-down, although if the press conference at 5pm has been cancelled who knows what the next development will be.

Thats a good omen. It probably means that common sense is prevailing and people are talking to each other behind closed doors

spuds

In respect to the centenary of the 1918 final we should play the 2018 final in February next. Loadsa time for arbitration and negative GAA headlines. Everyones a winner.

1918   16 February 1919   Wexford   0–5   Tipperary   0–4   Croke Park   12,000
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2018, 02:00:02 PM

Anyone else not that sold on him? He gives so many soft frees which always appears to benefit the forward.

You mean incorrectly awarding free's to Roscommon  ;D although I didn't look at the ones Galway got.

He was at it again on Sunday, I have no idea what some free's were awarded for

westbound

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 26, 2018, 02:13:47 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2018, 02:00:02 PM

You mean incorrectly awarding free's to Roscommon  ;D although I didn't look at the ones Galway got.

He was at it again on Sunday, I have no idea what some free's were awarded for

Fouls off the ball are still fouls! ;)

Crete Boom

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 26, 2018, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: spuds on June 26, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2018, 01:18:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 26, 2018, 01:13:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 12:22:35 PM
Mayo happy to play 'wherever we're told to go'
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0626/973307-mayo-happy-to-play-wherever-were-told-to-go/

Watery enough but probably wise not to add fuel to the fire.

More sense than Willie Joe has thankfully.

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=23327
The guy that runs that blog is absolutely insufferable. Thankfully the Mayo posters on here are more sensible than that gombeen.
He has his moments alright but his platform is based on being a super duper Mayo fan. If you read his posts then you are likely looking to be offended, I avoid mostly but hear him on the Mayo News podcast who have some good people on board. Read some Facebook comments by Galway fans (mostly avoidable), cringe at the 3 billboards outside Manulla (unavoidable), etc and make your choices.

Have no issue with game being played in Newbridge, better atmosphere and craic to be had. Major disadvantages for me is the poor viewing with a crowd present along with so many people who will miss out with the limited capacity but that's not reason enough to go to Croke park.

What happens now if game reverts to Newbridge to those Ticketmaster tickets if place is over subscribed?

Mayo news podcast is a really good listen, one of the better podcasts around; Thankfully WJ doesn't have a huge input it when I've listened. He has a very high opinion of himself.

Rob Murphy seems to be the main man behind that podcast.

APM

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 26, 2018, 02:00:45 PM

Fair f**ks to Kildare GAA on this, I hope they are not forced into a climb-down, although if the press conference at 5pm has been cancelled who knows what the next development will be.

Totally agree on this.  I hope they don't back down - the GAA "Civil Service" in Croke Park could do with a reminder on whose behalf they are in those paid positions.  The trouble is that the GAA is a democratic organisation and I'm wondering if we as members have let it get into this state by sheer combination of failing to hold club & county delegates to account, failure to read briefings and not taking ownership of this drift away from grassroots!

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 26, 2018, 02:21:36 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 26, 2018, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: spuds on June 26, 2018, 01:43:25 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 26, 2018, 01:18:29 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 26, 2018, 01:13:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 12:22:35 PM
Mayo happy to play 'wherever we're told to go'
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0626/973307-mayo-happy-to-play-wherever-were-told-to-go/

Watery enough but probably wise not to add fuel to the fire.

More sense than Willie Joe has thankfully.

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=23327
The guy that runs that blog is absolutely insufferable. Thankfully the Mayo posters on here are more sensible than that gombeen.
He has his moments alright but his platform is based on being a super duper Mayo fan. If you read his posts then you are likely looking to be offended, I avoid mostly but hear him on the Mayo News podcast who have some good people on board. Read some Facebook comments by Galway fans (mostly avoidable), cringe at the 3 billboards outside Manulla (unavoidable), etc and make your choices.

Have no issue with game being played in Newbridge, better atmosphere and craic to be had. Major disadvantages for me is the poor viewing with a crowd present along with so many people who will miss out with the limited capacity but that's not reason enough to go to Croke park.

What happens now if game reverts to Newbridge to those Ticketmaster tickets if place is over subscribed?

Mayo news podcast is a really good listen, one of the better podcasts around; Thankfully WJ doesn't have a huge input it when I've listened. He has a very high opinion of himself.

Rob Murphy seems to be the main man behind that podcast.

Why did he have the bright idea to invite an internet person to be a host of the podcast? It'd be like Seamus Duke getting Rossfan on Mid-West for co-commentary or something. It seems to have only increased his ego.