Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Ned Quinn's performance is indicative of the 'just do what you're told' attitude of HQ.
When his argument was picked apart he just started pulling stuff out of thin air in an attempt to justify his position.
They would want to get a handle on this asap.
I'm not sure they understand the depth of feeling there is out there, about this and many other issues.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 10:23:58 AM
Imagine a hypothetical scenario where Mayo went on to win the All-Ireland after getting a walkover against Kildare.
There would always be an asterisk there.
It would always be known as 'The Year of the Walkover'.

Very true but whatever happens I don't think we will get to the last four this year let alone win Sam. Anyway this doesn't really matter at this stage and is nothing more than a side issue to what is happening here.

Rudi

This is lovely. The Mayo ones are fighting between themselves on this one. Divide and conquer. The daft wimmin on the Mayo blog are going to bate WJ. :)

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 10:31:06 AM
Ned Quinn's performance is indicative of the 'just do what you're told' attitude of HQ.
When his argument was picked apart he just started pulling stuff out of thin air in an attempt to justify his position.
I'm not sure they understand the depth of feeling there is out there, about this and many other issues.
That's the why

They changed their position without any explanation and want to force it

dublin7

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 10:31:06 AM

I get the impression they think they're right and everybody else is wrong. Clearly they expected kildare to accept croke for the game without complaint. There's a dangerous precedent set now for the super 8's.

According to the Irish independent if roscommon win their qualifier their home game is against the dubs. What are the odds that gets switched by HQ as well

Donnellys Hollow

The quotes from Ned Quinn and Fergal McGill just show how detached from reality a lot of the GAA top brass are these days. Nobody in hq could have forseen this when they dictated that this game would be scheduled for Croke Park. They probably genuinely believe the spiel that "sure doesn't everyone love a big day out in Croke Park" and the old reliable "all players want to play in Croke Park". They have underestimated the depth of feeling that is there among many GAA members across the land at the direction the association is heading. You can't just make up the rules as you go along and I am delighted that it is Kildare who have pulled them up on this issue.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 10:23:58 AM
Imagine a hypothetical scenario where Mayo went on to win the All-Ireland after getting a walkover against Kildare.
There would always be an asterisk there.
It would always be known as 'The Year of the Walkover'.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and wager that Mayo people wouldn't give a shite if every team we played this year had 9 players, no goalie, were made play barefoot and had weights put in their pockets if it meant winning an all-ireland

Asterisks me hole
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Taylor

Joseph Brolly now has the whole of the GAA onside.

Just wait to see him run with this one.

He has been going on about corporate GAA for a long time now

Jinxy

When you look at the reaction to this on social media, you can see that this is the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people.
I think the GAA probably figured they could isolate Kildare if it came to that and use the tired old line about wanting as many people as possible to see the game.
The simple response to that is, why have you given the TV rights to a subscription-only channel that most of us don't have?

sid waddell

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 26, 2018, 10:38:12 AM
The quotes from Ned Quinn and Fergal McGill just show how detached from reality a lot of the GAA top brass are these days. Nobody in hq could have forseen this when they dictated that this game would be scheduled for Croke Park. They probably genuinely believe the spiel that "sure doesn't everyone love a big day out in Croke Park" and the old reliable "all players want to play in Croke Park". They have underestimated the depth of feeling that is there among many GAA members across the land at the direction the association is heading. You can't just make up the rules as you go along and I am delighted that it is Kildare who have pulled them up on this issue.
I think something like this was entirely foreseeable, it's just that the GAA are very bad at having foresight over such things.

Jinxy

This guy knows his stuff and lays out the legal case FOR Kildare's position.

https://twitter.com/sportslawMELB/status/1011536364972605442

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 10:50:48 AM
This guy knows his stuff and lays out the legal case FOR Kildare's position.

https://twitter.com/sportslawMELB/status/1011536364972605442

#sportslaw thanks to @offtheball for having me on earlier to talk about the Kildare v Mayo fixture debacle - did some further research on this and actually think @KildareGAA may have a solid legal argument here - thread
1. Under the GAA Official Guide r3.47 (a), the Central Competitions Control Committee has overall responsibility for Competition Scheduling and Arrangements for and Control of Games  under the jurisdiction of the Central Council
2.Under the GAA Offical Guide r7.11(e)(3) there is no right of appeal against a decision of the Central Competitions Control Committee or a Provincial Competitions Control Committee with regard to arrangements for the date and venue of a Game
3. There is DRA authority that in exceptional circumstances a decision of a CCC can be overturned where it is unreasonable and irrational in the circumstances - high bar but can be done e.g., DRA 21 of 2016 Kilcoo GAC v Down CCC and Ulster HC
4. Kildare can argue that CCCC is unreasonably in breach of  r6.28(A) (v) (2): "Home Venues SHALL be used in Rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifier Series, with first Team drawn having Home Advantage" and only exception is "Venues for Rd 4 shall be determined by CCCC"
5. If there is any exception to the home venue rule in rounds 1-3 of the All-Ireland Qs (e.g., ground capacity, health and welfare, season ticket etc) GAA probably should have thought of that beforehand and expressly given the CCCC a discretion but it didn't
6. In sum, while CCCC has wide discretionary powers (that usually can't be appealed) under GAA rules, the GAA Official Guide has expressly and clearly limited the CCCC's powers in rounds 1-3 of the qualifiers and it must give Kildare home advantage.
7. If @KildareGAA go for injunctive relief in the courts, they look like they  have a good arguable case and would get it on the above grounds. CCCC are not in any way willfully breaching the Guide, doing their best, just more restricted than normal by Guide & haven't realised.
8. CCCC may have to back down this time & revisit matters at end of year to give themselves greater discretion with Qs. I would recommend that they do that: ensures game is played, Kildare get what their due & from next rd of qualifiers (R4) CCCC have power to fix venues anyway
9. hope that all sides see the sense in the above and avoid legal or even DRA route - it will cost money and time and disrupt the tight fixtures schedule, possibly impacting on the Super 8
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on June 26, 2018, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 26, 2018, 10:38:12 AM
I think something like this was entirely foreseeable, it's just that the GAA are very bad at having foresight over such things.
I think it's a national failing, in fairness. Born sloppy.

seafoid

The debate seems to have moved on to injunctions. This is a clusterfuck

Mayo4Sam

Its a f**king disaster for Mayo, we don't need this kid of distraction
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me