Brian McGuigans Bad Luck

Started by Quarterback, May 14, 2007, 09:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qub la la la

no it is not hard for people to start under a different name, but all efforts should be made 2 keep people like shitzroy off the board. cant believe anyone would want a name with reference to probably the worst street in the holylands either. looks like other counties will have a mcguigan to contend with anyway on yesterdays display.

ziggysego

McGuigan could make Ulster final   

Tyrone have received a boost with the news that playmaker Brian McGuigan could be back in action much sooner than anticipated.

The Ardboe forawrd was expected to miss the entire Ulster SFC before undergoing surgery last Friday for an eye injury suffered in a club game.

Following the successful operation it is now hoped that he will be back playing in six to eight weeks.

That means McGuigan could play in the final on 15 July - if Tyrone make it.

He had been playing for Ardboe reserves, in a bid to accelerate his rehabilitation from a broken leg sustained more than a year ago, when he picked up the eye injury.

The double All-Ireland winner and former Allstar had already suffered a setback in his recovery from the injury, and had to have an operation to rectify a related ankle problem.

McGuigan has not played for Tyrone since the 2005 All-Ireland final, in which he starred in the victory over Kerry.

Tyrone's injury crisis is showing further signs of easing, with Stephen O'Neill expecting to be fit for the semi-final after missing Sunday's win over Fermanagh with a hamstring injury.

Gerard Cavlan, Owen Mulligan and Enda McGinley, all unable to start due to injury, were introduced as substitutes and came through without any problems.

McGuigan's return could give manager Mickey Harte welcome selection problems.

His younger brother Tommy was handed the famous number 11 jersey for the clash with Fermanagh and he made a sensational debut, scoring three superb points from play.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6677467.stm
Testing Accessibility

TheHeckler

Good to hear some positive news about Brian McGuigan.  I am from Armagh and have the utmost respect for him - he is genuinely a class act, but has been having some awful luck of late.  I wish him a speedy recovery and hope to see back on the field of play soon.

loughshore lad

Would be very sceptical about the accuracy of this, I hope it is accurate but from what I gather it will be quite some time before this problem is sorted never mind before he will be in a potential position to play football. The BBC dont have a great track record with producing accurate GAA stories.

orangeman

Again, I would be very sceptical about this story regarding Brian - at this point in time, Brian has not regained his vision and everything is still a blur - so this story is wide off the mark - I hope I'm wrong !!!

Jinxy

For Gods sake don't rush him back anyway. We've all seen it at club level when lads get a bad run with injuries. They kill themselves to get back and pick up another injury straight away. You can't drop a lad into championship football cold. Witness Ciaran McDonald yesterday coming back from injury. A player normally very strong in possession, he was getting knocked around like a rag doll. Brians interests should come first. He's still a young man, he should concentrate on his health and getting himself right first and foremost.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

I don't know where this story came from - Brian's vision is still a blur - I hope that the story turns out to be true but I think it is nothing but mere speculation at the moment  - The BBC website runs funny stories - it ran a story about a riot involving spectators, players and officials a few weeks ago which was completely wild and without foundation. This sounds like another one.

Tyrone Dreamer

Tommy McGuigan did say on the BBC championship last night that Brian had received some sort of good news regarding the injury on Friday and Id imagine he's a reliable source! Sounded like it was good in comparison to some of the news earlier in the week. Id find it hard to believe that he'd play any part in an ulster final  but maybe he'll be back for the All Ireland semi or final (Im taking the micky for all you anti Tyrone thicko's out there - we've temporarily lost our arrogance!)

loughshore lad

These stories regarding Brian are wide off the mark, his vision is still blurry and I dont think the option of him playing football in 6-8 weeks are in any way accurate at the moment. I see Francis Mooney's name attached to the story on this topic in the Irish News. I would definitely take this with a pinch of salt. By all accounts he was the plonker who told the BBC there was a riot at a club game a few weeks ago - another story without any substance.

clarshack

Quote from: loughshore lad on May 22, 2007, 09:11:18 AM
These stories regarding Brian are wide off the mark, his vision is still blurry and I dont think the option of him playing football in 6-8 weeks are in any way accurate at the moment. I see Francis Mooney's name attached to the story on this topic in the Irish News. I would definitely take this with a pinch of salt. By all accounts he was the plonker who told the BBC there was a riot at a club game a few weeks ago - another story without any substance.

he also reported that "ardboe breezed through stewartstown" even though i know for a fact he wasnt even at the game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Unfortunately, more media outlets are picking up on this: TodayFM this morning were repeating the BBC assertion, that Brian could be ready for the Ulster Final should we win the next one. Way, way too premature.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

Forget, Ulster final or whenever, the bottom line is that he has recieved some positive news.

From what was reported initially it was speculated it could be up to 2 years to recover.  He'll be back when hes hes good and ready and some of these fools in the media should have more sense than in putting in target comeback dates.

One thing i am certain off is that Mickey Harte or the Tyrone county board would not have come out with the statement regarding the ulster final. Firstly its presumuous in the the extreme to believe tyrone will have a right of passage to it.

As has been stated here already we all know how Mooney likes to be sensationalist. Reeks of sloppy journalism.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Bensars on May 22, 2007, 09:33:12 AM

One thing i am certain off is that Mickey Harte or the Tyrone county board would not have come out with the statement regarding the ulster final. Firstly its presumuous in the the extreme to believe tyrone will have a right of passage to it.

As has been stated here already we all know how Mooney likes to be sensationalist. Reeks of sloppy journalism.

My thoughts exactly. Nowhere in any of these stories do you see anybody quoted as saying Brian recieved positive news, time frames quoted etc etc.

orangeman

Francis Mooney earns a living from writing this shite and being sensational - he and the secretary of Tyrone Competitions Control Committee fed the press a pile of shite about a riot involving ourselves and Dromore 5/6 weeks ago. He circulated the story around every paper and internet site - I know the club are going to take issue about this whole episode and I'd say that heads might need to roll, either Mooneys or Harkins or both -Harkin did send an apology to all the clubs apologising to Ardboe and Dromore saying that he had been misquoted by Francis Mooney - who do you think you're kidding Aodhan ( cos you said the very same things and more to the Ulster Herald ) - So be pepared ! Mooney should be boycotted and I do believe it's him that is writing all this dung and getting paid for it - and did you ever see him ? He can't look at you - typical  -
So Brian isn't going to be ready anytime soon, so wise up and stop talking and repeating this rubbish. It's also unfair to Brian in raising his hopes. Surely Brian should be given the advice and direction of the surgeon who performed the operation and not the rubbish written by a local gutter journalist.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: orangeman on May 22, 2007, 09:52:54 AM
Francis Mooney earns a living from writing this shite and being sensational - he and the secretary of Tyrone Competitions Control Committee fed the press a pile of shite about a riot involving ourselves and Dromore 5/6 weeks ago. He circulated the story around every paper and internet site - I know the club are going to take issue about this whole episode and I'd say that heads might need to roll, either Mooneys or Harkins or both -Harkin did send an apology to all the clubs apologising to Ardboe and Dromore saying that he had been misquoted by Francis Mooney - who do you think you're kidding Aodhan ( cos you said the very same things and more to the Ulster Herald ) - So be pepared ! Mooney should be boycotted and I do believe it's him that is writing all this dung and getting paid for it - and did you ever see him ? He can't look at you - typical  -
So Brian isn't going to be ready anytime soon, so wise up and stop talking and repeating this rubbish. It's also unfair to Brian in raising his hopes. Surely Brian should be given the advice and direction of the surgeon who performed the operation and not the rubbish written by a local gutter journalist.

You're being a bit premature there orangeman. Can you be so certain that the Herald wasn't just repeating some other spurious source, as opposed to quoting Aodhán verbatim? Is it an amazing coincidence that Aodhán said the "very same things", which he denies he ever said at all, to the Herald?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...