Joint Papal / Queen visit in Northern Ireland in 2018

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 19, 2017, 06:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 21, 2017, 04:51:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 21, 2017, 01:37:22 PM
Sorry to diss anyone's beliefs and all, but when people start quoting the bible or telling us what Jesus said, they've lost their argument right there and then.

I'm sure the Famous Five said lots of things in Enid Blyton's books, but nobody goes about saying George said something or other, so we must abide by the word of George. Just because it's in a book don't make it true.

I'm sorry but I can't let that go. My discussion or argument was with Tony, a devout Catholic by all accounts. His take on the bible would doubtless be different than yours and many others. This is stuff he surely believes and it's the Catholicism I grew up with and remember. What my beliefs or yours are irrelevant to this discussion where I'm clearly challenging Tony's.

You'll note I mentioned people who do not believe later in that post. Not that they need my approval or anyone's for that matter. I think in the context of my post your comment is unfair and imbalanced.

Fair enough, but my original post wasn't in response to any one particular post or poster.

mrdeeds

In the Bible story of the birth of Jesus there the whole story about the census thing which never happened in them days. A nonsense story book. Work of fiction.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

I think there is a fair amount of evidence quite simply without paying attention to every comma in the Bible that Jesus existed.Billions of people throughout the ages believe he did,was crucified and rose from the dead.I would suggest this alone proves the existence of God

playwiththewind1st

Q Radio understands that Pope Francis has accepted an invitation from the Rev. Mervyn Gibson (Chaplain, Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland) to come North & to preach at an ecumenical service at Edenderry on 12 July 2018. Unconfirmed reports from Vatican sources indicate that the Pope has been learning a new hymn, "The Billy Boys", for the occasion.

playwiththewind1st

Plenty of people believed in The South Sea Company. Look where that got them.

mrdeeds

Quote from: T Fearon on December 21, 2017, 08:30:23 PM
I think there is a fair amount of evidence quite simply without paying attention to every comma in the Bible that Jesus existed.Billions of people throughout the ages believe he did,was crucified and rose from the dead.I would suggest this alone proves the existence of God

Billions of people throughout the ages???? Only in last century have we that type of population.

Many people believed the earth was flat.

Many people believed the sun revolved around the earth.

The pair of penguins marched the whole way to the Middle East. Yeah.

LooseCannon

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 21, 2017, 08:43:47 PM

Billions of people throughout the ages???? Only in last century have we that type of population.

Over 2 billion currently.

T Fearon

I am talking about the aggregate of people since Jesus' time,up to the present

tonto1888

No. It doesn't at all

mrdeeds

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 21, 2017, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 21, 2017, 08:43:47 PM

Over 2 billion currently.

2 billion Catholics but how many actually practicing.

mrdeeds

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2017, 09:31:46 PM
If I could get a lock of people to believe I won the lotto...

Can we have one piece of evidence?

playwiththewind1st

Monday is 25 December. That is Christmas Day. It also happens to be Jesus' birthday. It is all written in The Holy Bible. That is the document recording the actual words of the deity. Absolutely billions of people read it. Therefore God exists.

mrdeeds

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 21, 2017, 09:41:41 PM
Monday is 25 December. That is Christmas Day. It also happens to be Jesus' birthday. It is all written in The Holy Bible. That is the document recording the actual words of the deity. Absolutely billions of people read it. Therefore God exists.

The conception the 8th and birth 25th. Miracle. I always thought it was because of the Pagan Winter Solstice worship? Most Christian festival are just bastardised versions of pre existing ones.

Rossfan

The Immaculate Conception is that of Mary, mother of Jesus.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM