1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Boycey

Another early memory of news on tv although probably not back to '74 was watching late night BBC and the sound going down and a stern voiceover telling key holders in some random provincial town to return to their business as there were incendiary devices. This voice was often accompanied by a crap graphic..

Jim Bob

Quote from: Therealdonald on November 28, 2017, 08:01:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2017, 06:21:49 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2017, 05:46:03 PM
Emigrate? From Ireland? On account of killings in Gibraltar? Don't understand that?

Probably the killing of those army corporals that followed. That was hard to watch. I was sick to my stomach.

Did it ever come out why they were there?

They were there to kill soldiers and anyone else with in range of the carbomb  in Gibraltar!

Puckoon

An Astrail

Thatcher being elected, Pope in Ireland. Both 1979 so whichever one happened first.

Dougal Maguire

Aberfan is my first clear memory. I also vividly remember seeing some war footage on the news and getting very upset. It was a clip of an aerial bombing raid and must have been either Vietnam or the 6 Days War. I remember my parents trying to comfort me by saying it was just a film.
Careful now

haranguerer

Emigrate? From Ireland? On account of killings in Gibraltar? Don't understand that?

Probably the killing of those army corporals that followed. That was hard to watch. I was sick to my stomach.

That didn't happen at a gibraltar funeral, it happened at the funeral of someone who Michael Stone had killed, at a gibraltar funeral, 3 days earlier. Given that context, its not hard to understand why tensions were running high, and it is hard to understand why they went in there - showboating according to former colleagues. Definitely hard to watch though.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: haranguerer on November 29, 2017, 09:25:44 AM

That didn't happen at a gibraltar funeral, it happened at the funeral of someone who Michael Stone had killed, at a gibraltar funeral, 3 days earlier. Given that context, its not hard to understand why tensions were running high, and it is hard to understand why they went in there - showboating according to former colleagues. Definitely hard to watch though.

The Gibraltar executions and the chain of events that sparked was probably the first time the news really grabbed my attention. I would have been 7.
I would have recollections of bits and pieces of stories and events before it (the 86 world cup for example), but when all that was going on , i was really aware that it was big in the context of our country.
Probably the darkest period in the history of the North.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

paddyjohn

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 29, 2017, 09:43:12 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 29, 2017, 09:25:44 AM

The Gibraltar executions and the chain of events that sparked was probably the first time the news really grabbed my attention. I would have been 7.
I would have recollections of bits and pieces of stories and events before it (the 86 world cup for example), but when all that was going on , i was really aware that it was big in the context of our country.
Probably the darkest period in the history of the North.

Pop goes Northern Ireland I think its called was om BBC 1 last night, its like reeling in the years was on last night and it was showing the footage of the Gibraltar executions and Michael Stone at Milltown aswell as the 2 solders getting shot. I think those events were the first real news items I remember. 1988, it's unreal to think those kinda things happened in Ireland and normal life just went on.

Therealdonald

After much googling I found the rhyme I was referring too "13 gone and not forgotten...." you can fill in the blanks.

tonto1888

the chain of events which it sparked, not just those murders in gibraltar

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
I remember our Northern correspondent Póilín Ní Chiaráin reporting on atrocities all through the 80s. They became expected except when something really awful happened like Enniskillen.

The BBC NI 'Reeling in the years' program is on TV Tuesday nights; the past 2 nights I've seen it dealt with years 1977, 1988. The horror and savagery, quotidian then, seems grotesque even now. IRA, INLA, UDA, UVF slaughters, tit-for-tat killings and bombings, RUC, British Army duplicity, soft-spoken weasel words from Sinn Fein, thundering hate-filled rhetoric from Ian Paisley, People for Peace etc. How did anyone sane ever survive?

Anyway, perhaps my earliest news memory was the funeral of Erskine Childers. Musta thought the 1916 Rising was still going on... Also recall the kidnap and hostage situation in Monasteravin of Teide Herema.

Avondhu star

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2017, 09:42:14 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2017, 09:21:13 PM
John Lennon was shot on a Monday night,early Tuesday our time.Couldnt have interrupted Saturday cartoons

You can't mean seafoid is talking crap- he wouldn't do that ;D ;D ;D

Leave him alone. Still suffering shell shock after suddenly deprived of Tom and Jerry as a child
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: mouview on November 29, 2017, 03:33:31 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2017, 12:57:42 PM
I remember our Northern correspondent Póilín Ní Chiaráin reporting on atrocities all through the 80s. They became expected except when something really awful happened like Enniskillen.

The BBC NI 'Reeling in the years' program is on TV Tuesday nights; the past 2 nights I've seen it dealt with years 1977, 1988. The horror and savagery, quotidian then, seems grotesque even now. IRA, INLA, UDA, UVF slaughters, tit-for-tat killings and bombings, RUC, British Army duplicity, soft-spoken weasel words from Sinn Fein, thundering hate-filled rhetoric from Ian Paisley, People for Peace etc. How did anyone sane ever survive?

Anyway, perhaps my earliest news memory was the funeral of Erskine Childers. Musta thought the 1916 Rising was still going on... Also recall the kidnap and hostage situation in Monasteravin of Teide Herema.
Was it the father or the sons funeral?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you