1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O'Neills Therapist

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 27, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
Man on the Moon.

Good man 5 Sams - same story for me - remember being allowed to stay up late to see the rocket launch - it seemed like an eternity waiting for lift off!

Capt Pat

I can't remember which one came first it was either Michael buerk reporting from Ethiopia, the Mexico City earthquake or the volcano that erupted in Columbia causing chaos and mudslides. All were around 1985 or so.

Before that I can't remember what he was reporting but I can remember Don Coburn on the news.

The Iceman

Grew and Carroll gunned down not far from our house in 1984. I would have been 5 at the time.  We moved out of the town after that. I'll always remember it on the TV and my Mother going off on one and my dad being all quiet. He was good mates at the time with Carroll's older brother and would have known the lads well. 
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

dec

From 1974
Sport - FA Cup Final, World Cup, All Ireland Final, Rumble in the Jungle
News - 2 UK General Elections, Ulster Workers Council Strike

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on November 28, 2017, 01:11:54 AM
Grew and Carroll gunned down not far from our house in 1984. I would have been 5 at the time.  We moved out of the town after that. I'll always remember it on the TV and my Mother going off on one and my dad being all quiet. He was good mates at the time with Carroll's older brother and would have known the lads well.

1982?

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

you're right Puck it was december 82. I was only 4! madness how something can sit with you..i think it was because it was so close to our house it was literally less than half a mile down the road and we knew them or ours one did

Puckoon

Yeah, I was reading about it last year in the Irish News.

seafoid

John Lennon murder.
The Stardust fire.

They suspended the cartoons for Saturday morning for the 2 stories. All the big people crying.
Stardust was awful. The families were shafted.

stephenite

I remember the hoo ha over the pope arriving, 79?

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

T Fearon

Still waiting for Hardy's first memory.Brian Boru.😂😂

Applesisapples

First international event would have been the man on the moon, the first home event would have been bloody sunday.

lurganblue

I grew up in a house that ate their dinner in the living room while watching the 6 o'clock news.  Nothing was really shielded to my young eyes in terms of news coverage.  In saying that though i cant think of a specific news story that stood out. Each day was deaths, punishment beatings and bombs.