2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2017, 07:37:55 PM
Will Colm Cavanagh be banished from the Tyrone squad for talking to RTE?

Sounded like he was criticising the tactics employed this year also. He probably deserved his award but I thought enda Smith should have been included beside McCarthy at midfield. Those 2 actually played midfield whereas cavanagh spent most of his time in defence.

Nanderson

sure thats one of the things i hate about the all stars, dean rock getting the #10 spot considering he played in the full forward all year is a kick in the stones to anyone that did play at half forward

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Nanderson on November 03, 2017, 07:51:10 PM
sure thats one of the things i hate about the all stars, dean rock getting the #10 spot considering he played in the full forward all year is a kick in the stones to anyone that did play at half forward

Beat me to it. Thought McLoughlin should have got one. But I'm biased.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on November 03, 2017, 07:43:22 PM
2 forwards is a good return for Mayo compared to previous years

Poor considering we have got the same amount with lesser talented Forward lines in the past. In fairness we got a few this evening against the head and a few fell the wrong side of the coin!

Captain Obvious

1. David Clarke (Mayo)
2. Chris Barrett (Mayo)
3. Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin)
4. Keith Higgins (Mayo)
5. Colm Boyle (Mayo)
6. Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin)
7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
8. Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
9. James McCarthy (Dublin)
10. Dean Rock (Dublin)
11. Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
12. Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)
13. Paul Mannion (Dublin)
14. Paul Geaney (Kerry)
15. Andy Moran (Mayo)

7 for Dublin 6 for Mayo and one each for Tyrone,Kerry as i expected. Young player of the year O Callaghan and Moran player of the year no surprises there

joemamas

Quote from: Halfquarter on November 03, 2017, 07:38:29 PM
Expected one for Parsons.

Very surprised he did not get one. He was pivitol for most of Mayo's transition play from backs to forwards. He also played in Ten games.

Cavanagh also a good footballer.

From the Bunker

The way the Lory Meagher, Christy Ring and nicky rackard All stars were presented was the poorest level of tokenism I've seen in a long time. 

As a foot note -  wouldn't it be great if there was Division Two, three and four All stars in Football?

sid waddell

Michael Fitzsimons must be the luckiest player to win an All-Star ever. He got a proper roasting in the final and had basically nothing to do up to that point. He's getting it largely for his performance in the 2016 final replay.

Cian O'Sullivan should have been picked at 3 with Lee Keegan at 6 - Keegan loses out due to being a victim of his own high standards. Colm Cavanagh and even Stephen Cluxton (I'm not joking) would also have been far more deserving recipients in that position than Fitzsimons.

Paul Geaney's inclusion is a joke too. Pure politics. Jason Doherty isn't a "name" so was easy to overlook.

Realistically, it should have been a Dublin and Mayo clean sweep with Cavanagh and perhaps Tiernan McCann the only outsiders realistically deserving of being in the shake up.

Glad Ciaran Kilkenny missed out. His style is pure poison.

Like Fitzsimons getting his award for something done in a previous year, Joe Canning got the Hurler of the Year award based on previous years.

He shouldn't have got an All-Star, never mind being HOTY.

Robber barons of capitalism PwC should be up on a robbing Barron charge.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Delighted for Colm Cavanagh to get that recognition. Tough from him from the start following his brother who was already very much established as a giant of Tyrone GAA. Colm had a hard time from many Tyrone fans for a few years and it is to his great credit that he worked away and carved out a niche for himself as an absolutely key man on the Tyrone team. Hopefully there is more to come from him.

From the Bunker

There will always be a lot of political decisions in a process like this. Mayo have 6 of the best players in the country? Not likely. They have six decent players in a bunch of good players that are more exposed at the Business end of the season. Exposed more than 24 other counties.  Every Mayo championship game was on Live TV this year. So they even had exposure before the business end.

randomusername

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 03, 2017, 09:02:13 PM
Delighted for Colm Cavanagh to get that recognition. Tough from him from the start following his brother who was already very much established as a giant of Tyrone GAA. Colm had a hard time from many Tyrone fans for a few years and it is to his great credit that he worked away and carved out a niche for himself as an absolutely key man on the Tyrone team. Hopefully there is more to come from him.

Never seen a player improve so much, fair play to him.

JoG2

Quote from: randomusername on November 03, 2017, 09:14:03 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 03, 2017, 09:02:13 PM

Never seen a player improve so much, fair play to him.

Couldn't agree more. With the usual positioning changes, I'd have Colm Cavanagh at CHB, either Parsons or Smith in the middle.

trentoneill15

Some lovely ladies in that hall, would they be Spanish women or is it very sunny down in west.

Over the Bar

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 03, 2017, 07:52:10 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on November 03, 2017, 07:51:10 PM

Beat me to it. Thought McLoughlin should have got one. But I'm biased.

The GAA have for many years nominated players in positions they haven't played in. e.g. Canavan at CHF at expense of Brian McGuigan in 2005.  That in no way detracts from Colm Cavanagh's award. Well done big man!  Thoroughly deserved. 

Asal Mor

Quote from: sid waddell on November 03, 2017, 08:50:53 PM
Joe Canning got the Hurler of the Year award based on previous years.

He shouldn't have got an All-Star, never mind being HOTY.

Robber barons of capitalism PwC should be up on a robbing Barron charge.
Joe was very good in the League and turned the quarter-final against Waterford when he came on,  a game that turned Galway's season around. He was more solid than spectacular for a lot of the championship but he got the award for that last 20 minutes against Tipp. I have no problem with that. It was the only time in the championship that Galway looked like losing, Paudie Maher was dominating and our forwards looked bet when Joe  took responsibility and scored 5 points in a row all from huge distances, including 3 from play that were as good as you'll see.  He had an excellent first half in the final and nailed his frees in the second. Fair enough if you think Barron deserved PotY -  it's debatable. Saying Joe shouldn't have gotten an all-star is bullish!t though.