All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Clarke then took the kick with Mayo having an extra man. But he made a balls of it.

This is a vital observation, if Mayo had the ball, fair chance they'd have scored.  Worst kick of the day

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on September 27, 2017, 03:47:27 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 26, 2017, 03:46:07 PM
Meanwhile Roscommonman Andy Moran commits to the Rhubarbs cause for 2018.

So if the area around Athlone got transferred to Westmeath would these guys suddenly become Westmeathmen

Andy Moran would have been raised a Roscommon man whatever year he was born. His family home is as near Lisacul as it is Ballagh.

Pity you didn't check before you posted because it totally negates the point you were trying to make.

Rossfan

If the (alleged) GPS throwing, tee interference, dragging down players and eye gouging had happened in a Carlow v Louth game I suspect the 4Cs would have no problem seeing clearly and finding the relevant rule and issuing suspensions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on September 27, 2017, 12:30:36 PM
If the (alleged) GPS throwing, tee interference, dragging down players and eye gouging had happened in a Carlow v Louth game I suspect the 4Cs would have no problem seeing clearly and finding the relevant rule and issuing suspensions.

Unless it was highlighted on that terrible programme on RTE2 on Sunday evenings there would be no action. And it if was Carlow v Louth it wouldn't be highlighted.

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on September 27, 2017, 12:30:36 PM

what is the 'relevant rule'?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: westbound on September 27, 2017, 11:16:00 AM
I'm just gonna throw this out there, because I genuinely don't know the answer

What ACTUAL rule was broken by Keegan throwing the GPS?

And per the rule book what is the correct punishment?

Lots on here saying that the correct punishment would have been to move the ball forward, but where is the rule stating that?

Is there a rule that prohibits throwing something at the ball / another player?

Obviously, what keegan did was wrong but I'm just curious what rule did he actually break?

Interfering with person taking a free is to move the ball forward 13m, player continues with that then its a yellow card, further continues its a second yellow followed by red.. I'd assume

Or trying to deliberate  cause injury to player can be a red
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kurtz

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 27, 2017, 10:35:40 AM
I thought that the most relevant point of Andy's interview was that he would still get his hair cut by Seanie McDermott. Is this as close as Seanie will come to greatness?

Andy will give it one more year to bring an all Ireland medal to Roscommon  ;D ;D ;D

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2017, 12:30:05 PM

So if the area around Athlone got transferred to Westmeath would these guys suddenly become Westmeathmen

Andy Moran would have been raised a Roscommon man whatever year he was born. His family home is as near Lisacul as it is Ballagh.

Pity you didn't check before you posted because it totally negates the point you were trying to make.

Was his home place in that part of Mayo that was "stolen" by Roscommon?  If it was, then hes a Mayo man in my view.  Are Nationalists in the six counties British, by virtue of living in a place that was annexxed?

BTW...do you see the irony in the fact that you have a pure born Mayo man as your avatar.

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on September 27, 2017, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2017, 12:30:05 PM

Was his home place in that part of Mayo that was "stolen" by Roscommon?  If it was, then hes a Mayo man in my view.  Are Nationalists in the six counties British, by virtue of living in a place that was annexxed?

BTW...do you see the irony in the fact that you have a pure born Mayo man as your avatar.

You managed to miss the entire point of the last response.

criostlinn

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2017, 11:41:03 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on September 27, 2017, 09:40:53 AM
As for the dragging down players. If you are ok with what went on at the end of the game, fine so be it. Many's the person have said you do what ever it takes to win so your opinion is not unique  but don't even try and dismiss it by comparing it to what Canavan did 10 years ago. It wasn't one player dragged down of the ball but a team effort using illegal means to slow down the kickout and prevent Clarke finding a man.

Quote from: rosnarun on September 27, 2017, 10:42:32 AM
had the referred had seen 3 Dublin players pull down  mayo players and Costellos  action that would have been 4 black cards and Dublin would have finished with 11 possibly 12 players depending on how many subs they had used .
id have fancied mayo chances to have equalized ....

Are you forgetting what actually happened lads?

There was a number of incidents going on before the Clarke kick out, so McQuillan blew the whistle and stopped him kicking out. McQuillan picked out Costello (for the tee incident perhaps?) and gave him a yellow. He picked out Kilkenny for a drag down and gave him a black. He added on another nearly 2 minutes for this. So the Dublin cynicism in no shape worked, in fact it probably backfired with the added time and one less man on the pitch. 

Clarke then took the kick with Mayo having an extra man. But he made a balls of it. There were two men in the vicinty of Brogan, neither of whom were being fouled. Clarke kicked it over all their heads and out for a sideline! Calm head was required.

But thats not exactly what happened.
Clarke took kickout but as McQuillan had already blown the whistle he brought it back. And rightly so. Costello's yellow was for dragging his man down, nothing to do with the tee. Why it was yellow is beyond me. Kilkennys black was called by the linesman, and the the other two incidents were ignored. 2 minutes added on because it took Joe so long to deal with it and walk Kilkenny off the field.

You are right thou. Clarke did make a balls of the kickout so it seems the distraction and delay tactics did work

One thing I've wondered since. Why no footage of this kickout. Why did the RTE producer feel the need to pan in on Rochford when all this was happening on the pitch

criostlinn

Quote from: heffo on September 27, 2017, 11:44:31 AM
As for the dragging down players. If you are ok with what went on at the end of the game, fine so be it. Many's the person have said you do what ever it takes to win so your opinion is not unique  but don't even try and dismiss it by comparing it to what Canavan did 10 years ago. It wasn't one player dragged down of the ball but a team effort using illegal means to slow down the kickout and prevent Clarke finding a man.

had the referred had seen 3 Dublin players pull down  mayo players and Costellos  action that would have been 4 black cards and Dublin would have finished with 11 possibly 12 players depending on how many subs they had used .

There was a number of incidents going on before the Clarke kick out, so McQuillan blew the whistle and stopped him kicking out. McQuillan picked out Costello (for the tee incident perhaps?) and gave him a yellow. He picked out Kilkenny for a drag down and gave him a black. He added on another nearly 2 minutes for this. So the Dublin cynicism in no shape worked, in fact it probably backfired with the added time and one less man on the pitch. 

Clarke then took the kick with Mayo having an extra man. But he made a balls of it. There were two men in the vicinty of Brogan, neither of whom were being fouled. Clarke kicked it over all their heads and out for a sideline! Calm head was required.

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Mayo adopted the same kick out disruption tactic in the first ten minutes - holding the full back line. Dragging players to the ground.

Not even close. You are just making stuff up now.

Rossfan

Quote from: Kurtz on September 27, 2017, 01:21:33 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 27, 2017, 10:35:40 AM
I thought that the most relevant point of Andy's interview was that he would still get his hair cut by Seanie McDermott. Is this as close as Seanie will come to greatness?

Andy will give it one more year to bring an all Ireland medal to Roscommon  ;D ;D ;D
As I told ye all before Ye'll  never win Sam while  ye have anyone from Ballagh on ye're panel.
And maybe South Sligo too?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Mayo adopted the same kick out disruption tactic in the first ten minutes - holding the full back line. Dragging players to the ground.
Now, now Heffo, what about you and me? We haven't forgotten it, have we?
Like all games where the stakes are high, both teams played it right to the edge.All have sussed Joe Mac out early one and after that two very experienced sides would have sold their grannies, if necessary to win that game.
I quoted what both Alan Brogan and Tomás Ó'Sé had to say about what went on in the last few minutes. Paul Gainey had his say also and reckoned that it's a case of kill or be killed, everything short of physical assault is par for the course or words to that effect.
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
No Marquis of Queensbury rules here!
But one thing puzzled me and that was Charlie Redmond's bizarre attack on Keegan. 'Twas the lowest act Charlie had seen in 25 years- no words to describe the heinousness of his act etc. etc. and so on. When I finished laughing, I began to think. Couldn't figure out Charlie's motive for this. It was a case of pot calling kettle black.
I have known Charlie for a long time, from his days in Erin's Isle and very few games went by that didn't see Charlie in some sort of bother with the ref.
Then it suddenly struck me that he wanted to divert attention away from what happened when Clarke went to take the kickout.  What happened there was premeditated and far more cynical that Keegan's desperate attempt to put Rock off his stride.
Alan Brogan said that was the sort of stuff that wouldn't be officially approved; it wouldn't have been brought up in the dressing room or anything like that all players would have known what it took to deny Mayo possession after the restart and they succeeded. Who gave a damn about a black card or a yellow either at that stage of the game? Simple as that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 27, 2017, 11:51:37 AM
Clarke then took the kick with Mayo having an extra man. But he made a balls of it.

This is a vital observation, if Mayo had the ball, fair chance they'd have scored.  Worst kick of the day
Maybe the Dublin antics got inside Clarkes head?  how else can you explain such a bad kick out in a key stage of a game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpwJF2hq5U

The worst kick out seen this summer however was this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvVRK6BG8BI

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 27, 2017, 05:42:10 PM

Now, now Heffo, what about you and me? We haven't forgotten it, have we?
Like all games where the stakes are high, both teams played it right to the edge.All have sussed Joe Mac out early one and after that two very experienced sides would have sold their grannies, if necessary to win that game.
I quoted what both Alan Brogan and Tomás Ó'Sé had to say about what went on in the last few minutes. Paul Gainey had his say also and reckoned that it's a case of kill or be killed, everything short of physical assault is par for the course or words to that effect.
I've no doubt that if it was Cillian O'Connor who was taking that free, Jonny or Philly would do what Leeroy did, if they got the chance and I could see all the Mayo forwards manhandling the Dublin backs also.
No Marquis of Queensbury rules here!
But one thing puzzled me and that was Charlie Redmond's bizarre attack on Keegan. 'Twas the lowest act Charlie had seen in 25 years- no words to describe the heinousness of his act etc. etc. and so on. When I finished laughing, I began to think. Couldn't figure out Charlie's motive for this. It was a case of pot calling kettle black.
I have known Charlie for a long time, from his days in Erin's Isle and very few games went by that didn't see Charlie in some sort of bother with the ref.
Then it suddenly struck me that he wanted to divert attention away from what happened when Clarke went to take the kickout.  What happened there was premeditated and far more cynical that Keegan's desperate attempt to put Rock off his stride.
Alan Brogan said that was the sort of stuff that wouldn't be officially approved; it wouldn't have been brought up in the dressing room or anything like that all players would have known what it took to deny Mayo possession after the restart and they succeeded. Who gave a damn about a black card or a yellow either at that stage of the game? Simple as that.

Dublin may not have cared about a Yellow, But if McQuillan stuck to the letter of the law there would have been 2  to 3 Blacks at least in the closing minutes. No Referee would have the Balls to do that to Dublin in Croke Park and definitely not McQuillan! And Dublin know this.  McQuillan went for one Black and a safe Yellow to a player just on the pitch. A token gesture.