Dublin vs Monaghan, Saturday 5th August @ 6pm

Started by straightred, July 30, 2017, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

No thread for this one yet so i'll kick it off.

If Kildare can run up 1-17 on the Dubs then so can Monaghan.
However they won't hold the Dubs to 1-17 so that won't be enough.

Its hard to make a case for Monaghan. They'll hold their own in midfield and probably win a few individual battles but Dublin have too much firepower. Pity they didn't get Tyrone as that would have been a cracking game. Dublin by 6.

T Fearon

Hope genuinely that Monaghan put up a better show against Dublin than they did 3 years ago,when the game was effectively over after 15 minutes.Like Tyrone Dublin have not been tested yet.

INDIANA

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2017, 08:50:18 PM
Hope genuinely that Monaghan put up a better show against Dublin than they did 3 years ago,when the game was effectively over after 15 minutes.Like Tyrone Dublin have not been tested yet.

As double all -ireland champions we don't require "testing" .

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2017, 08:52:54 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2017, 08:50:18 PM

As double all -ireland champions we don't require "testing" .

All Dublin require is our unconditional love. Is that really too much to ask?

dublin7

Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2017, 08:38:59 PM

Its hard to make a case for Monaghan. They'll hold their own in midfield and probably win a few individual battles but Dublin have too much firepower. Pity they didn't get Tyrone as that would have been a cracking game. Dublin by 6.

Kildare went with an attacking game plan to have a go at the dubs. No way Monaghan set up like that. Hard to see where Monagahan are going to get enough scores to win. Will need to score goals to have a chance

straightred

Quote from: dublin7 on July 30, 2017, 09:03:46 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 30, 2017, 08:38:59 PM

Kildare went with an attacking game plan to have a go at the dubs. No way Monaghan set up like that. Hard to see where Monagahan are going to get enough scores to win. Will need to score goals to have a chance

Probably right. I'd rate Monaghan a level up from Kildare though particularly based on yesterdays evidence. There's nobody really setting up in the same defensive way as a few years ago (thankfully). Monaghans full back line got severely tested last night and Dublin will have seen that.

Main Street

We would need to become reborn and evangelical and get God on our side for this game but Tyrone already have Him cornered for their cause.
Lambs to the slaughter, biblical slaughter awaits our Monaghan boys.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Just remember lads, if we can stick to the football for this one, tactics, player ability etc, there is a Dublin hate thread which is separate for people who hate Dublin to spout their inaccurate bile.

Monaghan best draw for Dublin, Dublin didn't need the McGeeney/Armagh spotlight. Monaghan a good team and will put it to Dublin for about 40 mins but Dublin to come out by anything from 3 to 9 points. If you put Philly Mc or Cooper on McManus I don't see were the threat will come from.

Main Street

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 31, 2017, 08:47:53 AM
Just remember lads, if we can stick to the football for this one, tactics, player ability etc,
Very good point.

Quotethere is a Dublin hate thread which is separate for people who hate Dublin to spout their inaccurate bile.

You have forgotten your mission statement already. Take your paranoia and persecution and dump it elsewhere

QuoteMonaghan best draw for Dublin, Dublin didn't need the McGeeney/Armagh spotlight. Monaghan a good team and will put it to Dublin for about 40 mins but Dublin to come out by anything from 3 to 9 points. If you put Philly Mc or Cooper on McManus I don't see were the threat will come from.
The Dubs will need more than one marker to keep the lid on McManus.
The last time they just put only one( Cooper) on McManus in Croke Pk, he made hay in the 2nd half.

Hound

Dublin not going well in midfield yet this year, and full back line has looked dodgy. So I'd imagine best tactics against us would be to make midfield a contest by not giving us easy kick outs to corner backs. And get the ball in early to full forward line.

Johnny Cooper struggling to get over his injury problems. Hopefully he'll be back, if not he's a big loss. Also hopefully Fenton and O'Sullivan will show some form, both a long way off top form in games so far.

Main Street

Paul Finlay commented before the 4th rd game that reaching the 1/4s was expected now in Monaghan and the pressure of that was unnerving, that there was a heavy weight of expectation on the players to get the performance that's needed to get there.
Possibly now that we're there, the lifting of that expectation will have a beneficial effect on the performance against Dublin. However, up to now in this year's championship there's little evidence to seriously suggest we could go any further. Beating Down comprehensively in the 2nd half was good but the feeling is that we would have been well behind by half time against Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2017, 11:31:11 AM
Paul Finlay commented before the 4th rd game that reaching the 1/4s was expected now in Monaghan and the pressure of that was unnerving, that there was a heavy weight of expectation on the players to get the performance that's needed to get there.
Possibly now that we're there, the lifting of that expectation will have a beneficial effect on the performance against Dublin. However, up to now in this year's championship there's little evidence to seriously suggest we could go any further. Beating Down comprehensively in the 2nd half was good but the feeling is that we would have been well behind by half time against Kerry, Dublin or Tyrone.

The one thing is that Monaghan's shooting has been very poor the last few games - if they can improve this a bit and have one of those days where shots start going over, things could get very interesting. For me Dublin's defense has had very little work to do so far and I think it's not as strong as it was.

Dire Ear

I would expect Monaghan to give Dublin their fuul of it, for 60 minutes anyway

omagh_gael

With strong family connections (Mum's a Monaghan woman) I'll be roaring on the Farney boys in the second game. Dublin clear favourites, of course, however, Monaghan's attack has been floundering recently and if they can click it'll make it interesting. Really hope they give McCarthy more game time, he's a great impact sub but surely he offers more from the start.