Monaghan v Down - Sat 29th July - Croke Park - 17:00

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 18, 2017, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

FT Monaghan 1-24 Down 1-16.  Dublin next up for Monaghan unless Armagh pull off a shock.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Zulu

Wildweasel74

Will that Men against Boys line be used again against Dublin??

imtommygunn

Dow just aren't as good but they acquitted themselves very well. They needed mckernan and mooney more involved and just couldn't make that happen.

If monaghan mark like in the first twenty minutes then their quarter final will be a no contest. They have very good players but their slowness at closing things down - from management or players- must be a worry. If they play likethe latter stages they may challenge tyrone but i couldn't see dublin being too bothered by them.

Main Street

Going in level at half time I wasn't too bothered about what would happen in the 2nd half, considering the subs available.

Nice to have Dick in the commentary team, always has the aura of neutrality.

twohands!!!

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2017, 06:44:44 PM
Dow just aren't as good but they acquitted themselves very well. They needed mckernan and mooney more involved and just couldn't make that happen.

If monaghan mark like in the first twenty minutes then their quarter final will be a no contest. They have very good players but their slowness at closing things down - from management or players- must be a worry. If they play likethe latter stages they may challenge tyrone but i couldn't see dublin being too bothered by them.

Also Monaghan's shooting from play in the first half was terrible with a conversion rate of 4 from 13 with a lot of this down to some very poor shot selection.

The frees from Down kept them in it - 6 points from deadballs in a half where you are struggling with your shooting from play is an absolute gift.

In the 2nd half they seemed more patient in their shooting.[The subs definitely improved things here]

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2017, 06:48:23 PM
Going in level at half time I wasn't too bothered about what would happen in the 2nd half, considering the subs available.

Nice to have Dick in the commentary team, always has the aura of neutrality.

I'd say he was disappointed not to pick up his normal yellow card  ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 29, 2017, 06:50:16 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2017, 06:44:44 PM

Also Monaghan's shooting from play in the first half was terrible with a conversion rate of 4 from 13 with a lot of this down to some very poor shot selection.

The frees from Down kept them in it - 6 points from deadballs in a half where you are struggling with your shooting from play is an absolute gift.

In the 2nd half they seemed more patient in their shooting.[The subs definitely improved things here]

I think they tended to be in worse positions or under more pressure in the first half (monaghan that is) hence the wides. Down haven't the depth or the fitness when the going gets tough in the last 10-20 hence giving the more space so easier chances... Imo. At the end of the day i think monaghan probably scored more frees? Mccarthy was a massive difference for them. Doogan nit a big threat.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on July 29, 2017, 06:48:23 PM

Yeah had that feeling myself to be honest. Even as bad as we were in the first Down game, we were still a free away from drawing it level at the end before Down got the insurance score. We've finished most games this year pretty strongly due to the bench improving, and knowing we had McCarron and McCarthy to come on meant you were confident enough at the start of the second half. McCarthy was very impressive again, I'd imagine we'll need a similar impact from him next week.

Very good second half today but the first half wasn't nearly good enough, big improvements needed before next Saturday. The goal chances we coughed up would be a worry too, especially if we end up meeting Dublin.

tyroneman

Armagh giving Kidare all they want currently. Could be a Mon morning draw....

Owen Brannigan

Down lacked depth from the bench only able to call on some old warriors who are not able to make an impact.  Also lack the quality one to one with Monaghan.

Having said that Another poor Deegan performance kept Monaghan in the game in the first half with handy frees.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 29, 2017, 09:09:02 PM
Down lacked depth from the bench only able to call on some old warriors who are not able to make an impact.  Also lack the quality one to one with Monaghan.

Having said that Another poor Deegan performance kept Monaghan in the game in the first half with handy frees.

The refereeing in this game was woeful compared to the Armagh game.

Gael85

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 29, 2017, 06:07:56 PM
What does Gavin Dougan do on this Monaghan team?

all he seems to do is run and handpass the ball

Some engine but his basic skills are poor. He must of picked the ball of the grounds 2/3 times against Cavan earlier in season

straightred

Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2017, 06:42:03 PM
Much better second half from Monaghan.

Did monaghan deliberatly line out to finish stronger or did it just work out that way. I know freeman might be lighting it up in Dublin club football but Jack is a better option (and so it proved). Also what does McCarthy have to do to get a start. He's a class act.