AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2017, 11:19:52 PM
Wonder what the story is with Murnin, he's pretty injury prone unfortunately and you don't recover from a hammy that quickly, with a bit of luck maybe it was an ubercramp. If he is injured I'd throw Ethan Rafferty on the edge of the square, he would be a bit of a wildcard there.  I hope they keep Campbell on the bench as he's been more effective from there this year.

Whatever happens next week I just hope they play with the same fire they have been so far.

Raffertys long range point on Saturday was an incredible score, we need to find a slot for him somewhere in that forward line.

We have been excellent since the Down debacle, a repeat of Saturday and it will be a long afternoon for Tyrone.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gaffer

Big focus this week will be the battle between the two bros-in-law cavanagh v Vernon.

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gaffer on July 31, 2017, 01:03:18 AM
Big focus this week will be the battle between the two bros-in-law cavanagh v Vernon.
Only Charlie and Sean are bros in law  ;)

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on July 30, 2017, 09:15:19 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 30, 2017, 07:45:26 PM
I genuinely have nothing but respect for Armagh football. They won the AI before us and made us realise we were good enough to win it too. After the 2003 final, every Armagh supporter I met was very magnanimous and gracious in defeat and congratulated us on the win. Our battles in 2005 where the defining games of that decade in my view, two of the best teams of that era at the top of their game. The semi final was just the most gut wrenchingly tense experience I think I've ever had in football. That Armagh team should have won more than 1 All Ireland and it's good to see them back playing on Croke Park in August. Having said all that, I hope we hammer the feckers next weekend and I can't wait! 😀

If we hadn't won it in 2002, would Tyrone have won it in the subsequent years?

The real question is if Tyrone hadnt won it in the subsequent years would Armagh have won more?

omaghjoe

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2017, 08:48:20 PM
12 long years patiently waiting for another Croke Park showdown to right the injustice of 05 when Russell,in an attempt to curry favour with Tyrone for 1995,awarded Tyrone a match winning easy free.

This match is winnable,imagine the karma of sending Harte and Cavanagh into retirement prematurely

Im still waiting to avenge that Marsden punch in 03

omagh_gael

Quote from: stew on July 31, 2017, 01:02:31 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2017, 11:19:52 PM
Wonder what the story is with Murnin, he's pretty injury prone unfortunately and you don't recover from a hammy that quickly, with a bit of luck maybe it was an ubercramp. If he is injured I'd throw Ethan Rafferty on the edge of the square, he would be a bit of a wildcard there.  I hope they keep Campbell on the bench as he's been more effective from there this year.

Whatever happens next week I just hope they play with the same fire they have been so far.

Raffertys long range point on Saturday was an incredible score, we need to find a slot for him somewhere in that forward line.

We have been excellent since the Down debacle, a repeat of Saturday and it will be a long afternoon for Tyrone.

That was an incredible score but do ypu not think he was poor when you take away the point? Took the wrong option on a number of occassions and gave away three (that i can remember) really clumsy fouls.

TheGreatest

How many red cards will we see in this? Powers usually offer 5/6 to a red card to be shown, probably 1/100 now.

It will be an interesting watch but cant see anything but a Tyrone win. Armagh a couple years off were Tyrone are at.

An Watcher

Couple of red cards for both teams would suit the dubs in the semi no end.  No disrespect to Monaghan

Taylor

Anyone hoping for a tight game Saturday evening will be disappointed.

At times on Saturday when Kildare had numbers back Armagh looked clueless and could not penetrate. Problem was Kildare didnt get numbers back often or quick enough. The same wont happen to us. We will have numbers back.

Cant see Armagh scoring more than 10/12 points against us.

We should be able to rack up 16/18 scores given the forward talent at our disposal.

Our problem is that we are going to go into the Dublin game not tested at all

mackers

It's going to be a real clash of styles.  Armagh's exciting, attacking style of play against Tyrone's old school defensive dirge.  We have struggled against defensive teams all year and there's no more defensive team in the country than Tyrone.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

BennyHarp

Quote from: mackers on July 31, 2017, 09:16:53 AM
It's going to be a real clash of styles.  Armagh's exciting, attacking style of play against Tyrone's old school defensive dirge.  We have struggled against defensive teams all year and there's no more defensive team in the country than Tyrone.

Do you depend on Pat Spillane for your football insights?
That was never a square ball!!

thewobbler

Unlike some I'd expect this to be an open game of football. Tyrone have a cynical edge but they're a pressing team rather than an aggressive one. Armagh have a few experienced big men, but unless McKeever enters the fray, really have nobody of the sharpened elbows variety.

I'd expect a few heat of the moment rash decisions / black card furores, but not much physicality beyond that.

Armagh can win this, especially if they start well, but in likelihood they'll need Tyrone to have an off day in front of the posts for it to happen. Tyrone are so mobile in the middle third that they'll inevitably create more chances.

punt kick

Quote from: Taylor on July 31, 2017, 09:11:24 AM
Anyone hoping for a tight game Saturday evening will be disappointed.

At times on Saturday when Kildare had numbers back Armagh looked clueless and could not penetrate. Problem was Kildare didnt get numbers back often or quick enough. The same wont happen to us. We will have numbers back.

Cant see Armagh scoring more than 10/12 points against us.

We should be able to rack up 16/18 scores given the forward talent at our disposal.

Our problem is that we are going to go into the Dublin game not tested at all

Arrogance of the highest order, not sure at this stage the Dubs would even test you.  ::)

Rois

Quote from: thewobbler on July 31, 2017, 09:37:58 AM
Armagh can win this, especially if they start well, but in likelihood they'll need Tyrone to have an off day in front of the posts for it to happen. Tyrone are so mobile in the middle third that they'll inevitably create more chances.
I think we know that it's very possible for Tyrone to have a bad day in front of posts, hasn't happened this championship season yet but always a real risk.  I think we've a super defence who have limited their fouls all season and hope for that to continue.

According to the Irish Times last night, it is going to be a "hard hitting" game - not sure that's been Tyrone's style this year but it suits for people to think this is going to be an ugly game.  I'm hopeful that won't be the case. 

SimonSays

As an Armagh man I will have to be realistic, it would be a major shock if Tyrone lose this. Armagh have come on leaps and bounds and they now have a bit of a system and style which is all an Armagh fan craved this last two years. At times in league games in that period it looked like we just didn't have a plan. Tyrone are so slick at what they do that they are at least 3 years ahead of Armagh and they have great depth in their squad. They one thing I will say is that its harder to play their style in a place like Croke Park which would require incredible fitness levels. Armagh are letting the ball do the work again. One way to beat a defensive system is shoot on sight and on Saturday Armagh proved they can take a score if they have the patience to work the opening on Saturday that could be the option, few more of those monster scores from Ethan Rafferty would do they trick. Looking forward to it because I was everyone of the big games between these two and we are great rivals but I have great respect for my neighbours and hopefully Pat Spillane and colm O'Rourke are forced to talk about another classic between the two.