We Need To Talk About Dropping The Knees Into Players On The Ground

Started by Taylor, June 26, 2017, 09:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

I think its pretty simple. Any dangerous play that has a serious chance of causing life-changing injury should be reviewable at any time in light of new evidence.

End of.

F88k anyone who would dare defend a transgressor behind technicalities over an action which has the realistic potential to put someone in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.
i usse an speelchekor

joemamas

Watched the game on Saturday, there were two separate occasions where Down Players went in with the knee when a Monaghan. One on McManus, should have been a Red in my opinion as it was so blatant, wonder what the linesman was thinking.

Second one was along the opposite touchline about 30-40 meters from Down goal. Think it was Down #4, not positive, think a skirmish broke out after this one.

Poor form and has no place in Gaelic Football. It is downright dangerous.
If I was a referee watching it, I would be very very clued in for a similar tackle next time they play.

rosnarun

if brolly said that its just reason 1001 to ignore the bollix
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Il Bomber Destro

Knee drops only get highlighted if they're committed by Tyrone. I recall Keith Higgins dropping his knees deliberately onto Cathal McShane's chest in a league game in 2015. It was live on TV but not a word on it after.

The jersey or player wearing the jersey is usually much more of a determining factor than the act committed these days.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 26, 2017, 02:20:52 PM
Knee drops only get highlighted if they're committed by Tyrone. I recall Keith Higgins dropping his knees deliberately onto Cathal McShane's chest in a league game in 2015. It was live on TV but not a word on it after.

The jersey or player wearing the jersey is usually much more of a determining factor than the act committed these days.

I would not go around highlighting that your team got bullied by perennial losers! It kinda embarrassing! :)

Owen Brannigan

If you had bothered to read the beginning of the thread you would have seen that it was Down players that were highlighted as the offenders in this instance.  Not everything has to be about Tyrone, it's just that it is difficult to ignore the games worst offenders in this cowardly form of assault.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 26, 2017, 02:35:01 PM

If you had bothered to read the beginning of the thread you would have seen that it was Down players that were highlighted as the offenders in this instance.  Not everything has to be about Tyrone, it's just that it is difficult to ignore the games worst offenders in this cowardly form of assault.

How many players have got a ban for what is a rather common practice in the game?

Johnny Cooper on John Heslin a couple of years back is another one I remember, nothing about it though.

stiffler

Witnessed this happen in a div 1 club game in Antrim yesterday in front of the ref.

Ref gave a yellow card when a ref would have been more appropriate.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

grounded

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 01:55:12 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 26, 2017, 01:50:52 PM
As bad as some the actions in the Down game, none were nearly as bad as the assault on John Mac. 

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY

Worse one of these that I can remember. It's a dangerous and cowardly act.

The other coward in this incident was the referee who issued a yellow card.  Topped only by the moral bankruptcy of those who appealed the eventual red card under the guise of complaining the disciplinary committee had over stepped the mark in extending the yellow to a red.  At least Connolly was willing to take his punishment.

The extract below refers to the video action above and is taken from Harte by Mickey Harte.

So, the assault that could have broken John Mac's neck 'wasn't pretty'?

Nothing like raising the dead bringing this up.

Has there been any word on revisiting the incident from Saturday night yet?

The tyrone ones must be rattled when they are bringing up this crap. Game on

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 26, 2017, 01:50:52 PM
As bad as some the actions in the Down game, none were nearly as bad as the assault on John Mac. 

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 26, 2017, 10:41:27 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFCW1QeUcY

Worse one of these that I can remember. It's a dangerous and cowardly act.

The other coward in this incident was the referee who issued a yellow card.  Topped only by the moral bankruptcy of those who appealed the eventual red card under the guise of complaining the disciplinary committee had over stepped the mark in extending the yellow to a red.  At least Connolly was willing to take his punishment.

The extract below refers to the video action above and is taken from Harte by Mickey Harte.

So, this deliberate action that could have broken John Mac's neck 'wasn't pretty' according to Mr Harte who also thought that 'Ryan had landed with his knees on McEntee's chest'?

Has any other player served a ban for what McMenamin did?

I think we can all say that it's not an uncommon act at all.

Taylor

Let's see if the CCCCCC make their own decisions or wait for TSG to highlight it Bomber.

Unfortunately it's one rule for Tyrone and a different one for others it seems

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2017, 09:02:20 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 26, 2017, 08:35:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lF-pillLiY

Fair dues to Corrigan he did Boyle there. And Boyle got retribution!

Who was the Mayo poster who was on here a couple of weeks ago wringing his hand like a screaming Mary about Eamonn McGee?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on June 26, 2017, 08:37:28 PM
Let's see if the CCCCCC make their own decisions or wait for TSG to highlight it Bomber.

Unfortunately it's one rule for Tyrone and a different one for others it seems

Wait, is it one rule for Tyrone, and a different one for Connolly, and a different one again for Lee Keegan, and a different one for everyone else? Or is it One rule for Tyrone, Connolly and Keegan and a different one for everyone else?