Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2017, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 12, 2017, 10:47:36 AM
i thought the black card was incorrect too, but then if you look at this clip https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/874003012523393024 It shows Flynn bracing himself and then moving forward in the direction of coc, its marginal and coc didn't help Flynns cause but its hard to say it wasn't a body check.

How many times did O'Connor roll over from Flynn hit?

Does a full 360 roll count as one or two rolls?

Rudi

Good game. Galway much the better side. Great double save by the Galway 10. Should have been a penalty against him as he over carried on his way out. The pundits are shite not to see  this. O Connor and Higgins let their side down with their antics.

Maroon Manc

Easily the best game of the championship so far, it must have been a great final few minutes for the neutrals but certainly not for the Galway & Mayo supporters.

Galway started off well and looked very dangerous but that goal was a real kick in the teeth given the circumstances but Wynne certainly should have done more to stop McLaughlin, he appeared to out muscle him. There was too much space in the full back line inside the first 15 minutes but after that Mayo found it more difficult to find space, we'll never know how much impact the sending off had.

It was frustrating to see Mayo gain possession so easily from Clarke's kick outs in the 1st half, its something Galway need to improve on.  Conroy & FOC got the better of Parson & O'Shea in the middle and Galway got theirs hands on more of the breaking balls. I don't understand the point of playing Flynn at wing forward if we're not going to use his height, I can only recall him touching the ball once while he was one. Heaney got on the ball a lot in the 2nd half and was a calming influence back there but he really tired in the last 10 minutes which resulted in him making a few errors. COC got a point off him with a few mins to go and I have no idea why Heaney was left so exposed given we had the extra man, Kyne was the spare man at the time and got caught in no mans land.

Galway did panic a little in the last 10 minutes but not as much has been made out, they deserve some credit for the way they defended in injury time given Mayo were left for shooting from terrible angles. The defence tired and runners stopped when Galway attacked hence the last of scores from 60 minutes on.

A game like that should only help Galway, they'll certainly learn a lot from it.

GalwayBayBoy

By the way what did John Maughan do to annoy people yesterday? Saw some people having a go at him last night on social media.

Rossfan

Was it for saying he's worried that the team may be too long on the road for the Qualifier route??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

criostlinn

Quote from: Manning18 on June 12, 2017, 12:21:15 AM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 09, 2017, 09:38:31 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 09, 2017, 04:19:55 AM
On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening? Anyways, leave it to the chokers to get upset about a ridiculous Donegal's man article, reluctantly published in a Galway newspaper because its full of shite. Anyways...im sure its up on the dressing room wall, some terrible tipster talking shit. Fuel lads, fuel

Name a better Galway forward than him who's scored in the business end of championship??  ;D

As for chokers ye havent won a chmpionship game in Croke Park in 16 years.

Haha. Without the obvious of Comer and Walsh being near the same age, but light years ahead of him, i'd take Daly and Heaney as footballers also. He's the single most overrated young player in ireland. Is thE CP slag your new go to? With a fraction of our All Irelands, Galway current connacht champions, lording underage. Is that all you have left?

All fine footballers but I think the question you were asked was name a better Galway forward than him who's scored in the business end of championship??

criostlinn

Quote from: highorlow on June 12, 2017, 12:13:39 AM
Rochford's managerial record is pathetic. His decision making is brutal. He cost us the match.

At some stage they would have planned that we needed a point in the last minute and what does he do, brings on drake, a back, and leaves loftus on the bench. We should be beating a bad Galway team with 13 men ffs.

Also we lost the 2 x throw ins that cost us scores. What the f**k was diarmuid doing contesting the throw ins? What the f**k is that about.

Rochford should be carted back to corofin in a transport box.

Are ya kidding me. Rochford is a bloody genius.

He brought an over the hill,selfie taking team of  premadonnas with no forwards to within a kick of winning the all ireland 

Manning18

Comer lit up a Connacht final last year, does that count as a big game? It's a bit hard for young players to perform in the semi finals and finals of championships when their team hasnt got there. Is that the bad point hes trying to make? Theyve performed and won All Ireland u21 finals though alright.

moysider

So has O Connor. Practically won one on his own.

Maroon Manc

Just listened to off the ball who had BJ Padden & Michael Quirke. Padden as usual talked nonsense and offered no proper analysis of the game whilst you'd have to wonder if Quirke even watched the game when claimed Galway were poor for the whole of the 2nd half.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 12, 2017, 09:19:21 PM
Just listened to off the ball who had BJ Padden & Michael Quirke. Padden as usual talked nonsense and offered no proper analysis of the game whilst you'd have to wonder if Quirke even watched the game when claimed Galway were poor for the whole of the 2nd half.

Against 14 men Galway were very, very lucky not to have lost that game in the second half. In the final 15 they barely had the ball at all.

Duine Eile

Not often I agree with Syferus but he's right, we were very lucky not to have thrown that game away. Danny Cummins should have made sure with that last shot he had, we made a lot of mistakes and have plenty to work on. They showed great heart and hunger though in fairness to them. Still not sold on Lavelle in goals though, the short kick outs seem to have been the game plan and that's fair enough even though it's so frustrating to watch, but this carrying the ball out of his own defence is ridiculous, how many times did he cause trouble for himself and his own full back line? Only for Johnny Heaney we'd have lost that game. Armstrong really stepped up yesterday, was a bit quieter in the second half but he was bang on in the first. Can't wait to see Comer playing again, he seems like a man on a mission this year and what a hit on Diarmuid O'Connor. On a positive note, club championship this weekend, I thought they'd be called off but sense has prevailed. Even though it means Corofin, Monivea Abbey and Caltra are going to be without their hurlers unfortunately.

dublin7

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 12, 2017, 09:19:21 PM

Mayo got to within 1 point on 68 min and ref played 7 min injury time. So for the last 10 min Mayo had all the possession even with a man less. This was a game Mayo lost rather than Galway won.I think they only scored 2 points in the last 20 min.

Maroon Manc

I realise Galway didn't score from the 59th minute onwards but up until then they had played well in the 2nd half and were well in control having gone from been a point up at half time to 4 points up with just over 10 minutes to go. We could easily have drawn that game although the defence deserve some credit given all the pressure they came under, Mayo were reduced to taking on difficult shots and Galway didn't concede a free within their own 45.

Anyway I doubt anyone in Galway will be getting carried away given what happened against Tipp last summer.

omagh_gael

Mayo are strongest from 1-9, however, their age profile here is getting on significantly. How many of the lads were close to or over 30? Your power players in there may be losing their edge and losing Higgans hit all the harder due to this, imo.