Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 11, 2017, 09:24:27 PM
Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer.

Not wanting to take away from the game but I thought Joe McQuillan was scandalously bad. When you have inter county refs giving a black card like the one he gave to Flynn it defies belief. Cummins hauled down at the end was ignored and he was doing everything he could to make a draw of it. I thought he was a disgrace. Now I was supporting Galway so maybe the Mayo crowd have their own gripes but I thought he was scandalous. Can be no complaints about the red card but it's very unlike Higgins.

Given McQuillan rode Fermanagh last year too in McHale Park, it wasn't all that surprising.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: mayoman dan on June 11, 2017, 08:54:38 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Congrats to galway , deserving winners.  We were poor mostly in the second half, we have absolutely no forward plan . Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

I have been one of Rochfords biggest fans even after the goalkeeper fiasco last year but its getting harder and harder to see what hes doing.Forward play is non existant.It looks like theres no plan at all up there.Its hard to see us getting out of the qualifiers if we play like we played again today.Well done to Galway Comer and Walsh are 2 fantastic players

Will Rochford be pegged in front of the bus this year if things don't go well for Mayo?

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 10:43:12 PM
Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer.

Not wanting to take away from the game but I thought Joe McQuillan was scandalously bad. When you have inter county refs giving a black card like the one he gave to Flynn it defies belief. Cummins hauled down at the end was ignored and he was doing everything he could to make a draw of it. I thought he was a disgrace. Now I was supporting Galway so maybe the Mayo crowd have their own gripes but I thought he was scandalous. Can be no complaints about the red card but it's very unlike Higgins.

Given McQuillan rode Fermanagh last year too in McHale Park, it wasn't all that surprising.

Joe McDublin has his eye only on the big city. If they win.....

GalwayBayBoy

Poor old Army was even shipping tough tackles from the Galway supporters after the final whistle. ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVNrTreBB72/

dublin7

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 11, 2017, 09:51:03 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 11, 2017, 08:58:23 PM
Thought it was a great game for entertainment, I was on the edge of myself for the last 10 minutes. Conditions had a huge.bearing on the quality. Mayo face a very rocky road to September now.
Yeah but if Aiden O'Shea and Colm Boyle are match fit some of the potholes along that rocky road may well be filled in.
It doesn't solve the problem in the forward line. Dubs or Kerry would have run amok on the Galway FB line in 1st half. Mayo actually played some nice kick passes in early but the forwards weren't good enough to finish off the moves

thebackbar1

Quote from: Gael85 on June 11, 2017, 10:32:45 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 11, 2017, 10:25:23 PM
Can't blame a young fella for taking off for the Summer but I would love Sean Andy in that Galway side. He's got the right mix of size, strength and athleticism that is badly missing in the Galway full-back line. I think he would make the others around him more confident and secure as well. Next year I suppose.

Does he have much pace? Would be huge addition. Where has Johnny Duane gone to?

Where is Sean Andy gone ? Did he actually go to the US ? I don't think he did !

omagh_gael

What about the midfielder, Cooke? Thought he'd be a cert for the senior team.

blast05

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 10:43:12 PM

My friend, if ever there was a lad that needed a good ride, its you. And a piece of advice, when you order the blow up doll, make sure its green and red .... it might help you with your Mayo itch.

yellowcard

Think that's the end of this current Mayo teams AI ambitions. They'll not get as handy a run through the qualifiers as they had last season and I just don't see anything new up front to take them over the line. They could get to a qf/sf but that's about the height of it. Subbing Andy Moran was a strange decision and it's not the first strange decision that the manager has made in a big game. It's a pity those players never got their AI but I think they might need to take a few steps back before they can go toward again. Galway are decent but are a step below the top teams as well imo but they have some exciting players. Shane Walsh is such a natural footballer to watch.

whitey

What the fvck is it with some Mayo supporters always blaming the manager.  It was a tight game and we missed a wide open goal that would have won the game for us.  How do you blame Rochford for that?

Chimley

Our training and game plan seems to stifle attacking instincts. Look at Jason Doherty as the prime example. A goal machine when he came onto the team and now a workhorse. Regan and DOC don't look like the scoring threats that they were a year ago. One of the big criticisms of COC is that he doesn't score enough from play. How much of that is down to the role he is being asked to play?

Natural forwards don't seem to be part of the plan unless they are athletes first. Loftus and Irwin never got a decent run in the league and both of these were lethal in our u21 run last year.
I'm afraid that the huffing and puffing in front of goals today is a culmination of favouring work rate over ability when choosing forwards all the way back to Horans day and his dropping of Conor Mortimer for that exact reason.

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on June 11, 2017, 11:39:05 PM
What the fvck is it with some Mayo supporters always blaming the manager.  It was a tight game and we missed a wide open goal that would have won the game for us.  How do you blame Rochford for that?

Surely has to ship blame for putting on the never-fast AOS on at midfield with a man down (his brother had ran his legs off trying to make up the ground missing Higgins had cost them) with the wind rather than putting him around the square and at least giving the Galway defence something to think about?

Doherty was never a goal machine when the real stuff was on and wouldn't have hung around as long were he not as adaptable to tracking back and doing donkey work. His career path was following Enda Varley's until he made that change. Irwin is too slow to have much impact at senior IC imho.

highorlow

I believe we won the toss and chose to play against the wind. More incompetence from SR and his mega team.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: highorlow on June 11, 2017, 11:57:29 PM
I believe we won the toss and chose to play against the wind. More incompetence from SR and his mega team.

We were one point down at HT! Higgins moment of madness cost us! You can blame this and that after that, but chasing a game with 14 men ain't easy!

highorlow

Rochford's managerial record is pathetic. His decision making is brutal. He cost us the match.

At some stage they would have planned that we needed a point in the last minute and what does he do, brings on drake, a back, and leaves loftus on the bench. We should be beating a bad Galway team with 13 men ffs.

Also we lost the 2 x throw ins that cost us scores. What the f**k was diarmuid doing contesting the throw ins? What the f**k is that about.

Rochford should be carted back to corofin in a transport box.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go