Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 09, 2017, 09:38:31 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 09, 2017, 04:19:55 AM
On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening? Anyways, leave it to the chokers to get upset about a ridiculous Donegal's man article, reluctantly published in a Galway newspaper because its full of shite. Anyways...im sure its up on the dressing room wall, some terrible tipster talking shit. Fuel lads, fuel

Name a better Galway forward than him who's scored in the business end of championship??  ;D

As for chokers ye havent won a chmpionship game in Croke Park in 16 years.

Haha. Without the obvious of Comer and Walsh being near the same age, but light years ahead of him, i'd take Daly and Heaney as footballers also. He's the single most overrated young player in ireland. Is thE CP slag your new go to? With a fraction of our All Irelands, Galway current connacht champions, lording underage. Is that all you have left?

macdanger2

Very enjoyable game, pity we couldn't have managed a draw or more out of it. Fair play to galway for hanging on, serious double save from heaney (although he was lucky to get the free out) which ended up winning it for them.

Lads on here calling for the manager's head would want to cop themselves on - we lost by a pt after playing for 55 minutes with 14, had a ball saved on the line twice, hit the bar & post and missed 3-4 shots from 30 yards out. If we get a decent first round draw, we'll make croke Park this year and who knows after that.

Other clowns criticising COC for bottling it? Are you for real? He was one of the only forwards showing and winning ball but nobody was playing off him. That's Mayo's biggest problem - our forwards don't play as a unit and it's something successive managers have failed to rectify. COC clearly needles other teams, what good forward doesn't; but he wasn't the reason we lost today.

As regards the rest of our team, caff struggled, Higgins looked out of place as sweeper but I'd definitely play him there (should have been tried during the league) Keegan is wasted at 6 - I'd play Coen there, midfield were so-so at best. Our subs contributed very little. We started both halves very poorly, is that a lack of focus or what?

Anyway, good luck to galway in the final, hopefully we'll be in the pot when the QFs are drawn and we might get a shot at revenge

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Manning18 on June 12, 2017, 12:21:15 AM
On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening? Anyways, leave it to the chokers to get upset about a ridiculous Donegal's man article, reluctantly published in a Galway newspaper because its full of shite. Anyways...im sure its up on the dressing room wall, some terrible tipster talking shit. Fuel lads, fuel

Name a better Galway forward than him who's scored in the business end of championship??  ;D

Haha. Without the obvious of Comer and Walsh being near the same age, but light years ahead of him, i'd take Daly and Heaney as footballers also. He's the single most overrated young player in ireland. Is thE CP slag your new go to? With a fraction of our All Irelands, Galway current connacht champions, lording underage. Is that all you have left?

Classy. enjoy the win
Hasta la victoria siempre

Manning18

When you take out the pox flukey freak goal, Flynns black card & phantom free, and the Cummins 14 yard foul at the end, Galway had 5 points off the board in addition to the 1 they won by, in a low scoring game. If there was ever a game of a scoreline not doing a side justice...

Galways first half tactics threatened the game. Theyve become comfortably the more talented side and management need to recognise that and trust in their ability

moysider

Well done to Galway today. I thought they got most things right on the day, as circumstances evolved.

Mayo - as usual - cut a couple of sticks to beat ourselves up with. Nothing unusual there but similar predictable result/results. The Higgins petulance - there is no other way to describe it - was disappointing, stupid and decisive. It gave Galway a lifeline with possession retention in the second half and they clung to it and got over the line. Apart from incidental and individual errors Galway managed the second half as best they probably could have hoped for in the conditions. I think they will rightly be proud of how they stuck at it. Conditions were awful.

As a Mayo fan I was gutted we couldn't get a draw out of it. For a team of this experience that should have been achievable. It wasn't for the lack of trying I suppose.
It is that lack of execution and accuracy in what we are trying to do that fills me with pessimism going forward. This team has always dug deep and everything but often finds a way to lose as well. What will it be the next day? Always self-inflicted drama in case the opposition are not good enough to beat us anyway. For what it is worth I thought we were playing very well (best all year) until Keith lost the plot. After that it was always going to be messy for us.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Manning18 on June 12, 2017, 12:21:15 AM

Enjoy the victory. Try posting when sobered up

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blast05 on June 11, 2017, 11:33:56 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 10:43:12 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 11, 2017, 09:24:27 PM
Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer.

Not wanting to take away from the game but I thought Joe McQuillan was scandalously bad. When you have inter county refs giving a black card like the one he gave to Flynn it defies belief. Cummins hauled down at the end was ignored and he was doing everything he could to make a draw of it. I thought he was a disgrace. Now I was supporting Galway so maybe the Mayo crowd have their own gripes but I thought he was scandalous. Can be no complaints about the red card but it's very unlike Higgins.

Given McQuillan rode Fermanagh last year too in McHale Park, it wasn't all that surprising.

My friend, if ever there was a lad that needed a good ride, its you. And a piece of advice, when you order the blow up doll, make sure its green and red .... it might help you with your Mayo itch.

I suppose in true Mayo ostrich fashion, you will bury your head in the sand and say McQuillan was in no way beneficial to Mayo last year. Boyle and AOS both should have walked and he awarded a phantom penalty against Fermanagh. Of course, keep denying and being hyper defensive to any sort of criticism doled out to Mayo, irrespective of how valid it may be.

Crete Boom

Well done Galway , fully deserved the win and while Mayo had chances to sneak a victory it would have be unfair overall if we did. As usual under Rochford, apart from the All Ireland finals last year, we flashed brilliance for about 10 minutes then Higgins' moment of stupidity undid that pretty quickly. I hope our county board take a leaf out of Dublin's book and don't challenge whatever ban Keith gets because for stupidity alone he deserves a suspension.
I thought Rochford got some of the subs badly wrong but luckily he has a second chance to rectify that. This Mayo team have punched above their weight talent wise challenging Kerry & Dublin and maybe this game is a sign that they have just run out of road mentally and physically!! While the evolution has already started with the likes of Paddy Durcan,Brendan Harrison, Diarmuid O'Connor, Stephen Coen & Danny Kirby edging their way into the team we still lack a true cutting edge outside the evergreen Andy Moran along with the O'Connor's which isn't enough to get you to the top of the pile!!!
Good luck to Galway that win will bring them on no end and a better Summer adventure than last year awaits!!

GaillimhIarthair

Given the extremely poor conditions in Salthill yesterday, I thought it was a thoroughly absorbing game of football with no shortage of intensity and the odd dollop of skill thrown in for good measure - the atmosphere was back to something like the mid to late 90's there yesterday for sure. 

Credit has to go to Mayo for nearly getting something out of that yesterday after playing three quarters of the game with 14 men.  Only for some very poor shot selection from Regan and possibly a few questionable tactical substitutions, I think they could have eeked out a draw at least.  As for Galway, well we continue the positive trend for the moment!  Its a game we would have lost for sure a few years back and bar the last 10 mins or so, I though we were relatively composed even though we had our issues with the kick-out strategy, as did Mayo at times to be fair also, with both keepers responsible for giving away about 3 scores each.

I thought McQuillan had a very poor day all round and some of his decisions were truly baffling at times.  Red card was fair enough and it really was out of character for Higgins - god only knows what he was thinking and the ref only 10 yards away from him at the time.  Flynn's was never a black, held his ground and Cillian just seen an opportunity an took it - the fault lies with the ref for dealing with it properly IMO.

Its hard to see where Rochford has improved this team from H&C - I cant see it myself and it will be interesting to see what appetite Mayo have for the qualifiers again this year.  Its unlikely that the draw will be as kind as it was a year ago - testing times ahead for that panel of players but its well within them to make CP in Aug and sure anything is possible after that.

As for us, well, we do need to win Conn again this year and get a much needed Qtr Final win in CP - I would prefer us to be a bit more positive at times as I do think our front 6 are well capable of putting up good scores but we are limited, for now, at the back so it seems to be a safety first tactic from our management team - not sure how far that is going to get us though. 

thebackbar1

i thought the black card was incorrect too, but then if you look at this clip https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/874003012523393024 It shows Flynn bracing himself and then moving forward in the direction of coc, its marginal and coc didn't help Flynns cause but its hard to say it wasn't a body check.

Gael85

Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 12, 2017, 10:47:36 AM
i thought the black card was incorrect too, but then if you look at this clip https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/874003012523393024 It shows Flynn bracing himself and then moving forward in the direction of coc, its marginal and coc didn't help Flynns cause but its hard to say it wasn't a body check.

How many times did O'Connor roll over from Flynn hit?

thebackbar1

in regards to the black card it doesn't matter a jot how many times he rolled over, Joe was reaching for the black card the moment flynn hit him, its obviously something they've been told to crack down on.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thebackbar1 on June 12, 2017, 10:47:36 AM

Ah jesus lads thats never a black card.
He braced himself alright,as he is entitled to do when someone comes steaming into him, but he made no attempt to deliberately block o'connor.

Lets call it like it is, O'connor cheated to try and get a man black carded. As cynical an act as any you will see in the game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

I don't think if I was reffing that game that I could have said that was a deliberate body check. He didn't move obviously towards O'Connor's run. I know he braced, but that's a natural reaction when you see a lad flying at you. I think O'Connor charged into him.

westbound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 11:01:43 AM
I don't think if I was reffing that game that I could have said that was a deliberate body check. He didn't move obviously towards O'Connor's run. I know he braced, but that's a natural reaction when you see a lad flying at you. I think O'Connor charged into him.

I'd agree 100% with this.

Call it what ever you like, but Cillian 'manufactured' that black card.

I wouldn't hold it against Cillian too much to be honest. But he is the sort of player that you love if he is on your team and hate if he is on the opposition.