Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfquarter

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 11, 2017, 07:04:40 PM
Poor game overall, the Monaghan/ Cavan game was a much better game. This Mayo team are past their sell by date and its back into the chasing pack for them, unfortunately apart from extra physique Galway are much the same as last year, no All-Irelands there but back to back Connacht titles is not bad.

Back to back Connacht titles ???????????

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: giveballaghback on June 11, 2017, 07:04:40 PM
Poor game overall, the Monaghan/ Cavan game was a much better game. This Mayo team are past their sell by date and its back into the chasing pack for them, unfortunately apart from extra physique Galway are much the same as last year, no All-Irelands there

No not this year or the year after probably but we do have plenty of young talent coming through to add to that side. Especially in defence. The flaws in the team are fairly obvious but in a couple of years time they could be there or thereabouts.

Actually thought it was a cracking game given the conditions. Plenty of errors but exciting and hard-hitting.

twohands!!!

Galway fell over the line here.

Once they come up against any side with any sort of a functioning attack, they will run into trouble.

Mayo scoring 1-6 from play against Galway's defence today says a world about the quality of Mayo's attacking options.

giveballaghback

Captain Obvious

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 11, 2017, 07:35:30 PM

Once they come up against any side with any sort of a functioning attack, they will run into trouble.

Mayo scoring 1-6 from play against Galway's defence today says a world about the quality of Mayo's attacking options.
Would you not give some credit to Galways defensive system of play for that? Galway only scored 0-7 from play today and that was against a Mayo defence that chose not to start Boyle and Higgins who left the game after the 26th minute.

giveballaghback

Obviously a pretty rubbish quality game captain obvious

twohands!!!

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 11, 2017, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 11, 2017, 07:35:30 PM

Would you not give some credit to Galways defensive system of play for that? Galway only scored 0-7 from play today and that was against a Mayo defence that chose not to start Boyle and Higgins who left the game after the 26th minute.

Not a whole lot - because Galway looked very exposed and open - also the pressure they put on the Mayo shooters was of a poor enough standard.
There were some awful basic errors made by the Galway defenders throughout, especially in carrying the ball into contact, picking the wrong man.
The goal conceded by Galway was terrible - as a defender you should always prepare for the worst possible outcome and when the shot at a point is taken, the worst possible outcome is it dropping short into the square, which is exactly what happened when the ball hit the post. However it was the Mayo forward who was quickest to react and got the goal.
By comparison I thought the Mayo defence did better and basically kept them in the game.

larryin89

Congrats to galway , deserving winners.  We were poor mostly in the second half, we have absolutely no forward plan . Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

AZOffaly

I actually really enjoyed that game. I don't really know what people think they want...

thefont

Congrats Galway very deserved win although overall not a great performance I think it's fair to say. Very difficult conditions I suppose.

Galway's target should be a quarter final win in Croke park this year, they are building confidence and have some quality players but still look quite flawed as a team at this stage.

Very disappointing from us, lethargic again (after the league) ill-disciplined and our familiar mixture of sublime and terrible shooting. Qualifiers will be a major struggle this year I think but once again we'll be dangerous if we can make it to CP.

The impact of the coaching team is hard to see, our admittedly much improved kick passing while pleasing on the eye, doesn't seem to make a tangible difference. Maybe it's better game for Croke park I dunno.

Young players cannot seem to force their way in either which is disappointing but I'm sure if they were good enough they'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2017, 08:36:53 PM
I actually really enjoyed that game. I don't really know what people think they want...

Game of the year so far. Some people just want to be contrary.

giveballaghback

Enjoying the game and it being a good game are two totally different things, there was not one constructive move in the entire game, a total mistake fest, poor decision making by players on both sides and Rochfords changes were a joke, took his scoring forwards off just when they were needed, but then thats just my opinion.

mayoman dan

Quote from: larryin89 on June 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Congrats to galway , deserving winners.  We were poor mostly in the second half, we have absolutely no forward plan . Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

I have been one of Rochfords biggest fans even after the goalkeeper fiasco last year but its getting harder and harder to see what hes doing.Forward play is non existant.It looks like theres no plan at all up there.Its hard to see us getting out of the qualifiers if we play like we played again today.Well done to Galway Comer and Walsh are 2 fantastic players

heffo

Quote from: larryin89 on June 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

What about Tony & Donie - are they not bringing anything to the table

omagh_gael

Thought it was a great game for entertainment, I was on the edge of myself for the last 10 minutes. Conditions had a huge.bearing on the quality. Mayo face a very rocky road to September now.