Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Time for Rochford to go after the Summer. He is a pleb. Takes off our most hungry and skilful forward after getting one of the best points of the game sums him up. He also took off young Boland. Why wasn't Loftus brought on earlier.

Also the management need to answer why we are so slow to get into games from the off and also at the start of the 2nd half.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Captain Obvious

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 11, 2017, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 11, 2017, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 11, 2017, 07:35:30 PM
Galway fell over the line here.

Once they come up against any side with any sort of a functioning attack, they will run into trouble.

Mayo scoring 1-6 from play against Galway's defence today says a world about the quality of Mayo's attacking options.
Would you not give some credit to Galways defensive system of play for that? Galway only scored 0-7 from play today and that was against a Mayo defence that chose not to start Boyle and Higgins who left the game after the 26th minute.

Not a whole lot - because Galway looked very exposed and open - also the pressure they put on the Mayo shooters was of a poor enough standard.
There were some awful basic errors made by the Galway defenders throughout, especially in carrying the ball into contact, picking the wrong man.
The goal conceded by Galway was terrible - as a defender you should always prepare for the worst possible outcome and when the shot at a point is taken, the worst possible outcome is it dropping short into the square, which is exactly what happened when the ball hit the post. However it was the Mayo forward who was quickest to react and got the goal.
By comparison I thought the Mayo defence did better and basically kept them in the game.
I thought the Mayo goal was a lucky one and without it they wouldn't have got so close to grabbing undeserved draw. Mayos defence conceded 0-15 and Galway must have kicked 10 wides thats more chances given up by a Mayo defence than normal.

magpie seanie

Enjoyed the game. Thought Galway nearly threw it away due to their funny first half tactics and a bit of panic setting in in the last ten minutes. Luckily for them COC bottled a free yet again and then hid and Mayo had none else who could score because they'd taken Andy Moran off. It's like watching the same movie over and over again, Mayo never learn. In the conditions it was a very good game.....that Galway forward line could be very tasty in Croke Park later in the summer.

Not wanting to take away from the game but I thought Joe McQuillan was scandalously bad. When you have inter county refs giving a black card like the one he gave to Flynn it defies belief. Cummins hauled down at the end was ignored and he was doing everything he could to make a draw of it. I thought he was a disgrace. Now I was supporting Galway so maybe the Mayo crowd have their own gripes but I thought he was scandalous. Can be no complaints about the red card but it's very unlike Higgins.

omagh_gael

CoC wasn't great to but say he bottled that last free is more than harsh. It was from about 55 yards!!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: heffo on June 11, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

What about Tony & Donie - are they not bringing anything to the table

Too many cooks by the looks of it. A good competitive provincial championship game that went down to wire. Congrats Galway but i don't think the one point winning margin did their performance justice. Mayo not gone yet and every side will be hoping to avoid them in the qualifiers

From the Bunker

Well done Galway! Have got streetwise. Controlled the game in the second as much as they could. Higgins a huge loss to us. In a possession game like today, the extra man counted.

Mayo now look to the back door. Will be interesting to see where we end up next.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 11, 2017, 08:58:23 PM
Thought it was a great game for entertainment, I was on the edge of myself for the last 10 minutes. Conditions had a huge.bearing on the quality. Mayo face a very rocky road to September now.
Yeah but if Aiden O'Shea and Colm Boyle are match fit some of the potholes along that rocky road may well be filled in.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Gael85

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 11, 2017, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 11, 2017, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 11, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
Rochford has been null and void . pointless appointment. Added nothing to the set up.

What about Tony & Donie - are they not bringing anything to the table

Too many cooks by the looks of it. A good competitive provincial championship game that went down to wire. Congrats Galway but i don't think the one point winning margin did their performance justice. Mayo not gone yet and every side will be hoping to avoid them in the qualifiers

What is Buckley role?It unusual that he involved under 3different managers Horan, Holmes & Connolly and Rochord. McEntee was ran out of St Brigids, done nothing with them after his success with Crossmaglen

seafoid

Last year in the replay Mayo were left depending on an O Connor free. Same again today. No forwards capable of doing the biz.

From the Bunker

What was the story with the teams marching behind the band before the game? I thought that was just for Finals anymore?

Also John Maughan had a WTF moment on the half time TV interview. Had he a few brandies before the interview - Embarrassing!

DJGaliv

Great exciting game. Delighted with the result. Full of hard hits, decent scores, plenty of passion and a great atmosphere.

Surprised at Keith Higgins, it's not like him at all. Although I did predict a sending off as both teams were looking for revenge. Galway for last game in Pearse stadium and not getting enough credit last year and Mayo after losing last year. Thought sending off was fair and Flynn's black card and conceding of a point shouldn't have been given.

We will have to tighten up in full back line, whether that's due to having a half back line that flies up field at will or that our 1-4 aren't good enough I'm not sure. I thought Sweeney did well in fairness to him. The goal we conceded would previously have made us retreat into our shells as they knew it was due to a mistake in not reacting to it.

We have a nice mixture of pace in Daly, Walsh and Brannigan, and strength in Comer, Conroy and Fiontain. Yeah we made errors but what team produces a 70 minute performance? That's the nature of the game. Played well first half with some variety in scorers and cut them open a few times in second half. We could have kicked on but got a bit anxious filtering back in the second half. Was very surprised to see Moran come off for Mayo.

Last fifteen mins we hung on, but that's what you have to do. It's championship football. Short kickouts particular in the wind tunnel probably need a bit more work. Never seen anything like that when Heaney had to save us.

People writing Mayo off are a bit much. They're used to having a long season and will be primed for this. Only thing that changes for them is a few more matches and a few less training sessions over the next 3 months. What kind of a ban is likely for Higgins?

Great to beat a division 1 team. Maybe it is not as big a gap as we are told. Galway will gain huge amount of confidence from this

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 11, 2017, 07:35:30 PM
Galway fell over the line here.

Once they come up against any side with any sort of a functioning attack, they will run into trouble.

Mayo scoring 1-6 from play against Galway's defence today says a world about the quality of Mayo's attacking options.
Gaelic football is about defence. Forwards are old fashioned.

GalwayBayBoy

Can't blame a young fella for taking off for the Summer but I would love Sean Andy in that Galway side. He's got the right mix of size, strength and athleticism that is badly missing in the Galway full-back line. I think he would make the others around him more confident and secure as well. Next year I suppose.

Gael85

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 11, 2017, 10:25:23 PM
Can't blame a young fella for taking off for the Summer but I would love Sean Andy in that Galway side. He's got the right mix of size, strength and athleticism that is badly missing in the Galway full-back line. I think he would make the others around him more confident and secure as well. Next year I suppose.

Does he have much pace? Would be huge addition. Where has Johnny Duane gone to?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Gael85 on June 11, 2017, 10:32:45 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 11, 2017, 10:25:23 PM

Does he have much pace? Would be huge addition. Where has Johnny Duane gone to?

Yeah he's pretty quick for a big lad. Very good athlete. Duane was on the panel during the league but wasn't getting much game time so walked. As far as I know anyway.