Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoaremagic

Quote from: ballinaman on June 07, 2017, 10:19:31 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2017, 09:38:45 PM
Any thoughts on teams for Sunday?
Galway have better forwards rumour has it. Mayo supporters have lost the run of themselves, spotted 3 car flags in the last few days...

I read one article written by a galway man where he said they wouldn't take any of Mayos forwards in the galway team, COC included...

And they say it is the Mayo lads that get carried away with things

joemamas

Quote from: larryin89 on June 08, 2017, 04:02:12 PM
Be very surprised if we got a win from this one.
Galway have lightning forwards against a very tired and ageing mayo team.

Not overly confident myself, we have three starting forwards, who are not point shooters from outside thirty yards, even when free. I have a feeling that forward line is just way too predictable. Galway's goal will be to deny Cillian ball and their job will be half done.

I really wish Barry Moran or Aiden O Shea were full forward but not sure if either would last the full game.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on June 08, 2017, 04:16:15 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on June 08, 2017, 04:02:12 PM
Be very surprised if we got a win from this one.
Galway have lightning forwards against a very tired and ageing mayo team.

Not overly confident myself, we have three starting forwards, who are not point shooters from outside thirty yards, even when free. I have a feeling that forward line is just way too predictable. Galway's goal will be to deny Cillian ball and their job will be half done.

I really wish Barry Moran or Aiden O Shea were full forward but not sure if either would last the full game.

Isn't there a very obvious solution then?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: mayoaremagic on June 08, 2017, 04:12:38 PM
Galway have better forwards rumour has it. Mayo supporters have lost the run of themselves, spotted 3 car flags in the last few days...

I read one article written by a galway man where he said they wouldn't take any of Mayos forwards in the galway team, COC included...

I've seen it stated elsewhere that the bloke who wrote that isn't from Galway.

GalwayBayBoy

Rochford speaks

Pressure and expectation accompany Mayo into every Connacht Championship encounter, but 2016 brought a reminder of the dangers that exist in the west.

Five provincial titles in a row marked Mayo down as a team of admirable consistency, but Galway produced a defiant display to cause a shock.

It was rewarded with a stirring Castlebar victory which Stephen Rochard admits was a real setback at the time. "In the immediate aftermath you're probably thinking something like that," Rochford admits.

"You're probably looking at it to say what could you have done better. But I don't think you can stick too long on that when you've got a qualifier route to take on, and how things can come quick and fast there.

"You don't get time to ponder or reflect too deeply on it. It may have given you a little bit of a shake, but it wasn't a big knock."

Having guided Corofin to an AIB All Ireland SFC club title Rochford is well aware of the talent in Galway.

"Yeah, very impressed," Rochford replies. "They have shown a steady progression over the last two, three years.

"Obviously their Under 21s had a fine run in the Under 21 Championship. Their minors put on a display here (in Castlebar) a number of weeks ago.

"Their seniors now are FBD champions, Division 2 champions, Connacht champions. That cabinet is getting fairly packed. We know that it's going to be quite a battle going up into their back garden. But at the same time it's one that we are quietly looking forward to."

Respectful of Galway, Rochford reckons the return of Fiontán Ó Curraoin, Sean Armstrong, and Michael Meehan to the inter-county arena is a huge boost for the Tribesmen.

"They play quite a tight game at the back," Rochford says about Galway. "They like to drop in numbers. You've probably seen Johnny Heaney and Tom Flynn looking to keep things reasonably tight.

"Fiontán Ó Curraoin in their team has obviously offered them an additional physical aspect that they didn't have last year.

"They've matched that now with the experience with Sean Armstrong coming back in and Mike Meehan is in the corridors and is training away with them. It wouldn't surprise me for Mike to play some time.

"What we expect is quality all over the field and a real battle with a couple of the quality forwards they have as well."

Rochford stresses that Mayo aren't altering their approach in 2017 in any way ahead of the Galway tussle. "No, not typically," Rochford remarks. "We've had a game (Sligo) that's a week earlier than what we played in the Championship last year.

"There hasn't been any major change and maybe that comes from a familiarity with the group that I wouldn't have had as such this time last year.

"We're 12 months on, which means as a group we're 18 months into it. I wouldn't say that there is any material change."

Syferus

Jaysis. FBD champions. Division 2 champions.

When you put it like that Rocho, well, you have absolutely no point whatsoever.

An Fhairche Abu

Are you 100% certain that the writer of that article is a Galway man?
I don't agree with the notion that Galway wouldn't take any Mayo forwards anyway, DOC playing at a 2015 standard would walk onto the current Galway team.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 08, 2017, 04:49:57 PM

I don't agree with the notion that Galway wouldn't take any Mayo forwards anyway, DOC playing at a 2015 standard would walk onto the current Galway team.
Not a Galway man at all. Writes a sports betting article for the Galway Independent from time to time. He's from Donegal!

An Fhairche Abu

Yeah I would have been surprised at any Galway supporter who has watched the Galway-Mayo games of the last few years making that statement, he's definitely wrong in his assertion anyway.
The more credible statement would be that Mayo wouldn't take any one of the Galway back line.

Blowitupref

What do you mean by standard? His workrate and teamwork? As his scoring wasn't overly impressive that summer, for the record 5 championship games DOC played in 2015 scoring 0-7 and 0-4 of that was scored against wide open Sligo defence in the Connacht final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Manning18

On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening? Anyways, leave it to the chokers to get upset about a ridiculous Donegal's man article, reluctantly published in a Galway newspaper because its full of shite. Anyways...im sure its up on the dressing room wall, some terrible tipster talking shit. Fuel lads, fuel

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Manning18 on June 09, 2017, 04:19:55 AM
On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening? Anyways, leave it to the chokers to get upset about a ridiculous Donegal's man article, reluctantly published in a Galway newspaper because its full of shite. Anyways...im sure its up on the dressing room wall, some terrible tipster talking shit. Fuel lads, fuel

Who's getting upset about it? You're certainly a tad wound up about it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 08, 2017, 06:05:46 PM

What do you mean by standard? His workrate and teamwork?

His overall play in general that year really, he was one of the more impressive players on one of the top teams in the country. Given the way the game has gone I wouldn't be too hung up on scoring rates by half forwards that you want to go up and down the pitch personally. He wasn't great last year (which is why I stated 2015 standard) although he was apparently injured.

On a scale of 1 to overrated. D'OC is reaching new levels. Like is this actually happening?

Don't get me wrong here, I wouldn't have him rated as highly as some Mayo people (better than Michael Donnellan at the same age was a statement from last year on mayogaablog  ::)) but I think it would be foolish to state that he wouldn't have a place on the Galway HF line if playing to his best.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2017, 06:10:42 AM

Who's getting upset about it? You're certainly a tad wound up about it.

Look, he had a hard night at it. He probably had to listen to some Mayo bucks in Supermacs while he was waiting for his snack box.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

larryin89

PJ had a fair swipe at this mayo team .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .