?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Josey Wales

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 19, 2018, 12:23:42 PM
Quote from: braveheart on February 19, 2018, 11:43:30 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 19, 2018, 11:12:25 AM
Quote from: braveheart on February 19, 2018, 10:46:44 AM
The surface in Celtic park is no longer the best in Derry. It resembled a bog in places yesterday. A fine total of 570 paid in,570. When are we going to learn. On a positive note at least we won. A fine start and a good finish but we were poor in between. But I could see signs of improvement

Interesting comment. . . which pitch in Derry do you think would have been better than Celtic Park yesterday?

Any highlights I saw of matches over the weekend the pitches were all bogs all over the place!
Supposedly,there was a school game played on Celtic park on the Saturday and then they played the Hurling before the Derry v Offaly game. That was silly at best. The pitch surface was terrible. My point is and always will be,if the pitch in Celtic park is like it was yesterday then why take the matches there as no-one wants to travel. Derry,as a team would gain an advantage by playing in frount of a bigger crowd at a South Derry venue. 570 people attended that Double header yesterday,that number is pathetic. And it isn't going to change for the foreseeable future whilst the matches are played at Celtic park.
The matches are going to be at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future though. Maybe it's the attitude of the South Derry 'supporters' that needs to change?
Given there were 550 at the match i think the North Derry (including a City with over 100k people) supporters attitude needs to change especially when its only 10 mins away from them.

screenexile

Quote from: Josey Wales on February 20, 2018, 11:21:49 AM
The surface in Celtic park is no longer the best in Derry. It resembled a bog in places yesterday. A fine total of 570 paid in,570. When are we going to learn. On a positive note at least we won. A fine start and a good finish but we were poor in between. But I could see signs of improvement

Interesting comment. . . which pitch in Derry do you think would have been better than Celtic Park yesterday?

Any highlights I saw of matches over the weekend the pitches were all bogs all over the place!
Supposedly,there was a school game played on Celtic park on the Saturday and then they played the Hurling before the Derry v Offaly game. That was silly at best. The pitch surface was terrible. My point is and always will be,if the pitch in Celtic park is like it was yesterday then why take the matches there as no-one wants to travel. Derry,as a team would gain an advantage by playing in frount of a bigger crowd at a South Derry venue. 570 people attended that Double header yesterday,that number is pathetic. And it isn't going to change for the foreseeable future whilst the matches are played at Celtic park.
The matches are going to be at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future though. Maybe it's the attitude of the South Derry 'supporters' that needs to change?
Given there were 550 at the match i think the North Derry (including a City with over 100k people) supporters attitude needs to change especially when its only 10 mins away from them.

allseasons

Quote from: lenny on February 19, 2018, 07:10:07 PM

Our new pitch is in class condition but wouldn't be suitable for a county match wrt spectators. Loup pitch is the same, great condition but couldn't host a county match. It's a shame we don't alternate the county games between celtic park and venues in south derry like glen, ballinascreen or bellaghy. I would expect a couple of thousand at least at any of those venues which would make for a good atmosphere and the players would certainly enjoy it a lot more. I would advocate 2 games in north derry and 2 in south derry for future league campaigns.

Good post. If more county games (not all) were played in south derry and bigger crowds attended then it might help to put a bit of pride back in the Jersey.

oakleaflad

How many clubs in North Derry are 10 mins away? Coleraine, Limavady, Magilligan, Ballerin, Glenullin, Drumsurn, Dungiven, Banagher, Craigbane, Foreglen, Drum, Claudy, Faughanvale, Glack - none of them would get to Celtic Park in 10 mins. 
I'm from North Derry and would be quicker getting to Glen and just as quick getting to Screen so that's not my issue. It's just that there are going to be matches at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future.
I am concerned with there being a North/South Derry divide. If we are to achieve anything it needs to be as one whole county and we need to encourage Gaelic games to be thriving in Derry City.
This whole ' we need more games here because we're bigger and better' sounds like a spoilt child not getting what they want. I could take it if I thought it was a bit of craic but some people post and speak seriously like this.
Your point stands though, the whole county can't be bothered going to see the team at the moment. The low attendance at the weekend reflects the position of the county team at present at the bottom of Division 3 and the bad day probably didn't help. Hopefully improved performances will increase the appetite for people to go to the games. In reality it shouldn't matter where in the county the game is we should be able to go and support. It seems to be a bigger issue here for some reason than in other counties. Someone mentioned having say 2 home league games at Celtic Park and 2 in South Derry and I don't think that's a bad idea, Monaghan have spread out their home games to good effect so far.

toby47

Quote from: allseasons on February 20, 2018, 12:57:27 PM

Our new pitch is in class condition but wouldn't be suitable for a county match wrt spectators. Loup pitch is the same, great condition but couldn't host a county match. It's a shame we don't alternate the county games between celtic park and venues in south derry like glen, ballinascreen or bellaghy. I would expect a couple of thousand at least at any of those venues which would make for a good atmosphere and the players would certainly enjoy it a lot more. I would advocate 2 games in north derry and 2 in south derry for future league campaigns.

Good post. If more county games (not all) were played in south derry and bigger crowds attended then it might help to put a bit of pride back in the Jersey.

There will be far more that 550 people in Bellaghy this Sunday for St Pats vs St Mary's in the MacRory cup.

Bad times when a school game is getting more support than the county team.

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on February 20, 2018, 01:13:07 PM

There will be far more that 550 people in Bellaghy this Sunday for St Pats vs St Mary's in the MacRory cup.

you're comparing apples and oranges there and has zero relevance to the topic at hand

Re the venue for the county matches, I can see both sides of the argument. Owenbeg is slap bang in the middle of the county, and if I mind rightly, 2 out of the 3 home matches would have been played there only for the pitch being sorted. Geographically this should be ideal for all. A good few of the qualifying matches have also been played at Owenbeg in front of fairly paltry numbers. Now if the Dungiven venue is out of action, I'd have no problem bringing the mountain to Mohammad and having league games played in Glen / 'Screen.
The bottom line is we've a very small number of core supporters , bar maybe Antrim (not sure what numbers watch them these days tbh) the rest of the counties in Ulster's core support dwarfs Derry's.
Take the last 2 away games (championship / league) in Castlebar and Longford, the number wouldn't total 100 between both games. But something has to be done as there's serious apathy towards the county team at the minute. If that means having only championship in CP and the vast majority of league / qualifiers in Owenbeg, or Glen or 'Screen, so be it.
But it's a 2 way street, people have to get off their holes and get out and support the men busting themselves for the county and not just show up for the odd big day in Clones or CP.

toby47

Quote from: JoG2 on February 20, 2018, 02:02:24 PM

you're comparing apples and oranges there and has zero relevance to the topic at hand

Re the venue for the county matches, I can see both sides of the argument. Owenbeg is slap bang in the middle of the county, and if I mind rightly, 2 out of the 3 home matches would have been played there only for the pitch being sorted. Geographically this should be ideal for all. A good few of the qualifying matches have also been played at Owenbeg in front of fairly paltry numbers. Now if the Dungiven venue is out of action, I'd have no problem bringing the mountain to Mohammad and having league games played in Glen / 'Screen.
The bottom line is we've a very small number of core supporters , bar maybe Antrim (not sure what numbers watch them these days tbh) the rest of the counties in Ulster's core support dwarfs Derry's.
Take the last 2 away games (championship / league) in Castlebar and Longford, the number wouldn't total 100 between both games. But something has to be done as there's serious apathy towards the county team at the minute. If that means having only championship in CP and the vast majority of league / qualifiers in Owenbeg, or Glen or 'Screen, so be it.
But it's a 2 way street, people have to get off their holes and get out and support the men busting themselves for the county and not just show up for the odd big day in Clones or CP.

Speaking of apples and oranges. you compared Emmett Bradley to Anthony Tohill on here after a league game vs Offaly. Give it a rest

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on February 20, 2018, 02:24:51 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 20, 2018, 02:02:24 PM

Speaking of apples and oranges. you compared Emmett Bradley to Anthony Tohill on here after a league game vs Offaly. Give it a rest

Insightful

braveheart

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 20, 2018, 01:11:23 PM

How many clubs in North Derry are 10 mins away? Coleraine, Limavady, Magilligan, Ballerin, Glenullin, Drumsurn, Dungiven, Banagher, Craigbane, Foreglen, Drum, Claudy, Faughanvale, Glack - none of them would get to Celtic Park in 10 mins. 
I'm from North Derry and would be quicker getting to Glen and just as quick getting to Screen so that's not my issue. It's just that there are going to be matches at Celtic Park for the foreseeable future.
I am concerned with there being a North/South Derry divide. If we are to achieve anything it needs to be as one whole county and we need to encourage Gaelic games to be thriving in Derry City.
This whole ' we need more games here because we're bigger and better' sounds like a spoilt child not getting what they want. I could take it if I thought it was a bit of craic but some people post and speak seriously like this.
Your point stands though, the whole county can't be bothered going to see the team at the moment. The low attendance at the weekend reflects the position of the county team at present at the bottom of Division 3 and the bad day probably didn't help. Hopefully improved performances will increase the appetite for people to go to the games. In reality it shouldn't matter where in the county the game is we should be able to go and support. It seems to be a bigger issue here for some reason than in other counties. Someone mentioned having say 2 home league games at Celtic Park and 2 in South Derry and I don't think that's a bad idea, Monaghan have spread out their home games to good effect so far.
Gaelic games thriving in Derry? How many years have we sent coaches to Derry City?? What has the benefit been thus far?? Derry City is a soccer environment. Any lad worth his salt in Derry only aspires to play professional soccer no matter how terrible he is and Gaelic games comes well down the list-FACT. Toby is correct,there will be a crowd of more than 1000 in bellaghy on Sunday for 1 schools match. 570 in Celtic park last Sunday for a double header-it doesn't take much working out

theticklemister

Quote from: braveheart on February 20, 2018, 03:31:55 PM

Gaelic games thriving in Derry? How many years have we sent coaches to Derry City?? What has the benefit been thus far?? Derry City is a soccer environment. Any lad worth his salt in Derry only aspires to play professional soccer no matter how terrible he is and Gaelic games comes well down the list-FACT. Toby is correct,there will be a crowd of more than 1000 in bellaghy on Sunday for 1 schools match. 570 in Celtic park last Sunday for a double header-it doesn't take much working out

f**k it. Bring back the North/South Derry League.

braveheart

Quote from: theticklemister on February 20, 2018, 04:38:09 PM

There already is North/South Derry leagues. 1 is called Senior Football,the other is called Junior Football. Just because you're in Liverpool is no excuse for not knowing this.

In hiding

And I thought the Tyrone board was bad  :o

oakleaflad

There have been a number of players from Derry City on Derry underage panels this past few years, both from Steelstwon and Doire Colmcille at least off the top of my head. Developing these players can only help the county as a whole. Why would you not encourage this?
Also, it does take a lot of working out, at least for me. Why would 1000 people want to go watch a schools match instead of their senior county team? Strange to me that anyone outside of parents and possibly the county minor management would want to go to that game but couldn't be bothered going to see the senior team?

theticklemister

Quote from: braveheart on February 20, 2018, 05:09:24 PM

There already is North/South Derry leagues. 1 is called Senior Football,the other is called Junior Football. Just because you're in Liverpool is no excuse for not knowing this.

I'll meet you at the top of Glenshane Braveheart at high noon on Saturday- you bring your best 15 warriors from the south and I'll bring the 15 best from the north and we will do battle.

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on February 20, 2018, 05:40:09 PM
Quote from: braveheart on February 20, 2018, 05:09:24 PM

I'll meet you at the top of Glenshane Braveheart at high noon on Saturday- you bring your best 15 warriors from the south and I'll bring the 15 best from the north and we will do battle.
No point. The whole of Swatagh will be gone to watch the Slaughtneil game!