Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Real Talk

There is neither the will no the money in Derry to properly fund a Senior County Football Squad ...  by that I mean there isn't sufficient desire to acquire the financial support and it is not any easy task when your in Div3 and not likely to feature in an Ulster Final ..... its your regular 'chicken & egg' scenario

Orchard park

How did Anton Tohill  not play Derry minor but make the Aussie rules cut ??

toby47

Quote from: Orchard park on December 12, 2017, 09:04:04 AM

He isn't a terribly gifted footballer. Probably more suited to Aussie Rules I'd imagine.

braveheart

Quote from: toby47 on December 12, 2017, 10:01:58 AM

He isn't a terribly gifted footballer. Probably more suited to Aussie Rules I'd imagine.
silly comment about a player you obviously haven't a clue about. Having seen him regularly this year I also don't know how he didn't make the derry minor panel because he should have. A very honest and driven lad who has made a massive improvement in the last 2/3 years

toby47

Quote from: braveheart on December 12, 2017, 03:28:33 PM

silly comment about a player you obviously haven't a clue about. Having seen him regularly this year I also don't know how he didn't make the derry minor panel because he should have. A very honest and driven lad who has made a massive improvement in the last 2/3 years

Have seen him play a right bit. Honest and driven, yes. Athletic, Yes. Great fielder, yes. A natural footballer, I'm not so sure.

I would say he's similar to Niall McKeever who went to Aussie rules. Not a great footballer by any stretch of the imagination but tall, athletic and great in the air.

Real Talk

Quote from: toby47 on December 12, 2017, 05:04:24 PM

Have seen him play a right bit. Honest and driven, yes. Athletic, Yes. Great fielder, yes. A natural footballer, I'm not so sure.

I would say he's similar to Niall McKeever who went to Aussie rules. Not a great footballer by any stretch of the imagination but tall, athletic and great in the air.

In a team where the term " Team" means every thing then I'm quite sure there is ample room for Anton to play an important part.  The Dublin squad would have a few of those fellows ....

toby47

Quote from: Real Talk on December 12, 2017, 07:56:04 PM

In a team where the term " Team" means every thing then I'm quite sure there is ample room for Anton to play an important part.  The Dublin squad would have a few of those fellows ....

Personally, I don't think he was good enough. That's just my opinion.

braveheart

Quote from: toby47 on December 13, 2017, 08:21:04 AM

Personally, I don't think he was good enough. That's just my opinion.f
What you mean is,you're making it up as you go along. What cub are you from so you can see Anton Tohill often enough to make a judgement call? Personally,from what I've seen,he could easily of fitted seamlessly on the Derry minor Team

Derry Optimist

There are several factors involved in both the   the physical and  all-round skilful development of any growing teenage athlete.

Depending on the  speed and coordination of their growth many do not fully attain  their fully mature skill set until their late teens,particularly if their height shoots up quickly.

One such outstanding Gaelic footballer,in the 1980's, who epitomised those characteristics was one Anthony Tohill who went on to be one of Derry's greatest-ever players.

From what I hear his son Anton is progressing rapidly in the same manner.Let us all wish him all the best in his future endeavours whether that is in Australia or Ireland.

toby47

Quote from: braveheart on December 13, 2017, 10:26:02 AM

What you mean is,you're making it up as you go along. What cub are you from so you can see Anton Tohill often enough to make a judgement call? Personally,from what I've seen,he could easily of fitted seamlessly on the Derry minor Team

Don't you worry about what club I'm from, I've never came on this forum to 'make stuff up' or spout lies so I'm not going to start now. We will agree to have a difference of opinion regarding whether he was good enough for the county minor squad. That's not to say he won't end up progressing and becoming a county player in the future. Players like Tony Scullion, Conor McManus & Bernard Brogan all never played county minors and turned into brilliant footballers.

allseasons

Quote from: toby47 on December 13, 2017, 11:13:52 AM

Don't you worry about what club I'm from, I've never came on this forum to 'make stuff up' or spout lies so I'm not going to start now. We will agree to have a difference of opinion regarding whether he was good enough for the county minor squad. That's not to say he won't end up progressing and becoming a county player in the future. Players like Tony Scullion, Conor McManus & Bernard Brogan all never played county minors and turned into brilliant footballers.
Did he make a Maghera School team last year or any other year? Not to the best of my knowledge (and I have made some enquiries).
This is not to say the lad isn't developing and could yet make a fine footballer but it would go some way to explaining his omission from last years minor panel.
Could we not park this debate up and let the lad develop and find his own way. There is unlikely to be another Anthony Tohill.

toby47

Quote from: allseasons on December 13, 2017, 11:43:23 AM
Quote from: toby47 on December 13, 2017, 11:13:52 AM

Did he make a Maghera School team last year or any other year? Not to the best of my knowledge (and I have made some enquiries).
This is not to say the lad isn't developing and could yet make a fine footballer but it would go some way to explaining his omission from last years minor panel.
Could we not park this debate up and let the lad develop and find his own way. There is unlikely to be another Anthony Tohill.

Absolutely. Wish him all the best and if he keeps improving into a county standard footballer then I hope we are watching him for years to come.

Wildweasel74

I dont think there be another midfielder like Anthony Tohill; he was good i have him ahead of  D O'Se; Cavanagh; McDermott; Mullins; and level with J O' Shea; never seen M O"Connell so cant compare against him:

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 14, 2017, 10:02:15 PM
I dont think there be another midfielder like Anthony Tohill; he was good i have him ahead of  D O'Se; Cavanagh; McDermott; Mullins; and level with J O' Shea; never seen M O"Connell so cant compare against him:
He was exceptional no doubt and McGilligan and him were a great partnership who complimented each other brilliantly, but I would  rate Dara O'Se ahead of him,

Wildweasel74

Dara O'Se although very good was around from 1994 on and he really only made his mark from 2000 on, Tohill had his name made in 2yrs! He was a consistant scorer and good free taker, O'Se was neither of these but he had the advantage of more tv time with Kerry easy runs to the last 8 before playing anybody decent! And probably played on a team with better players; well at least up front: Galvin of Limerick always had the beating of O'Se