Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

quit yo jibbajabba

youre either a WUM, a civil servant, or a politician, but im fcuked if I can be arsed finding out

oakleaflad

Club underage is staying at U12, 14, 16, 18 for the coming season.

Real Talk

Quote from: toby47 on December 05, 2017, 08:09:58 AM
"A huge boost" is how Derry senior football manager Damian McErlain has described Mark Lynch's decision to commit to his panel for 2018.

"To be honest, his decision was immediate. He wanted in and we're delighted about that," McErlain told DerryGAA.ie. "He's a central figure for us, a presence and a real leader to have around the panel," he said of the 31-year-old Banagher man.

McErlain has named a 29-man senior panel with an average age of 24 for the upcoming season, a season which begins with the McKenna Cup on Wednesday 3 January.

With a number of the Derry panel playing with their universities, the new management will use the competition to run their eye over potential senior players of the future. With the U20 championship set to begin in June, new rules mean that any U20 players listed on a senior championship teamsheet will be ruled out for their own age group's equivalent. However, U20 players are free to play in other competitions such as the national league or McKenna Cup as required.

"We'll be utilising many of the u20 panel for those McKenna Cup games for sure," explains McErlain.

"That would have been our approach from the start. The county is bursting with young talent and the door is always open. Others have used that approach in the past and we think it's a good balance. We can mix some experience with youth."

Players who won't be lining out in red and white for Derry's group games in January are Emmett Bradley and Niall Keenan (with QUB), Terence O'Brien and Danny Tallon (with UU), and Niall Toner (St Mary's) – all expected to feature for their respective college teams.

"Co-operation with the colleges has been excellent in fairness," claims McErlain of the panel's overall preparation during the off-season.

One man who is expected to feature in the Oak Leaf line-up will be Sigerson Cup winner, Ruairi Mooney. The Eoghan Rua man was part of Paddy Tally's heroic winning St Mary's team earlier this year and comes into the senior panel for first time. He is joined by would-be senior debutants Oran Hartin (among the 2017 minor goalkeepers), Faughanvale's Jordan Curran and Slaughtneil's Paul McNeill.

McNeill is part of the Emmet's contingent whose involvement in the latter stages of the All-Ireland club championships in hurling and football rules them out of competitive county action for the coming months. However, McErlain sees the situation as a challenge to be welcomed.

"Those lads have earned their shot at their All-Ireland. They've been inspirational over the past few years and we'll support them 100%. That winning attitude tends to rub off on others when the conditions are right and that's something we'll be seeking to tap into down the line. For now, it's certainly a challenge but it's a great opportunity for others to grab their place. Competition is what we want," he explains.

The departure of Niall Loughlin to Australia has been a dent to McErlain's forward options but it's one that he feels can be overcome.

"Niall has been in great form for club and county this past few years. He has really developed into a fine player. Unfortunately he had this trip booked well in advance. He's a lad who keeps himself in good shape so we'll look forward to welcoming him back at some stage down the line, sooner rather than later, we hope."

Lavey's Niall Toner is one forward option who returns from an injury which saw him miss all intercounty and most interclub games in 2017.

Emmett Bradley, Michael Bateson, Kevin Johnston, Terence O'Brien and Liam McGoldrick are all returning players that have sampled Ulster championship action and will be welcome additions to the Oak Leaf options for the division three campaign and championship ahead.

"That's obviously our immediate target, to be competitive in that league," says McErlain

"We've assembled a fresh new panel. We've been delighted with the reaction of the players and the support we've received so far. Energy levels are high and that's what we want. 2018 is just around the corner and we can't wait to get going," he concludes.

Derry Senior Football Panel 2018: Michael Bateson (Newbridge), Emmett Bradley (Glen), Padraig Cassidy (Slaughtneil), Jack Doherty (Glen), Jordan Curran (Faughanvale), Peter Hagan (Banagher), Oran Hartin (Limavady), Benny Heron (Ballinascreen), Kevin Johnston (Dungiven), Patrick Kearney (Swatragh), Niall Keenan (Castledawson), James Kielt (Kilrea), Mark Lynch (Banagher), Enda Lynn (Greenlough), Conor McAtamney (Swatragh), Michael McEvoy (Magherafelt), Ciaran McFaul (Glen), Liam McGoldrick (Coleraine), Shane McGuigan (Slaughtneil), Chrissy McKaigue (Slaughtneil), Karl McKaigue (Slaughtneil), Ben McKinless (Ballinderry), Paul McNeill (Slaughtneil), Carlus McWilliams (Ballinascreen), Ruairi Mooney (Coleraine), Terence O'Brien (Loup), Brendan Rogers (Slaughtneil), Danny Tallon (Glen), Niall Toner (Lavey).
I hope Mark Lynch is given time to loose some weight and get into good physical condition to perform at County level .... he has a terrific desire and determination and is an absolutely perfect team player.  That said he has a lot of miles on the clock but he could still make an impact as a 'last20min' substitution .... his over all skill level has been unsurpassed in Derry.

Someone one has called this a mediocre panel ... we're in Div 3 for a reason and the Manager makes his choice on his best players ... and some of them have decided County football is not for them ..... that is not a crime ... its an amateur sport.  Lets be realistic we don't have a lot of top quality players and we have to support those that have made the commitment .... one or two of them i'd say will not stand the test but that power for the course both at Club and County level all over the Country ... but we must always support the efforts of our County players and Management

theticklemister

Fear, I'm surprised at many of your comments there.

The one about not wanting to be from Shanty is disgusting.

shantygael

Tickle,are your gaa jerseys still smelling in the wash😀
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: theticklemister on December 06, 2017, 05:11:16 PM

Tickle that's strong language.  If I hadn't a thicker skin and knew that yiu are a good lad I'd nearly be offended. All i intimated was that the club would rather be in Culmore so they could take from that area more freely. Without looking back at my comments I can't remember saying anything offensive. I stand by the veracity of all I said.  There shouldn't be anything in there that would be surprising as they are all facts in the common knowledge of city folk. My own club has closer links to your club than any other. Btw you could lists dozens of things that could be changed in my club and I'd hazard a guess to say I'd agree with you.

theticklemister

Quote from: shantygael on December 06, 2017, 07:27:07 PM

Na lad; I'm using a new detergent.

Fear, we'll move on....

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 06, 2017, 07:50:43 PM

Tickle that's strong language.  If I hadn't a thicker skin and knew that yiu are a good lad I'd nearly be offended. All i intimated was that the club would rather be in Culmore so they could take from that area more freely. Without looking back at my comments I can't remember saying anything offensive. I stand by the veracity of all I said.  There shouldn't be anything in there that would be surprising as they are all facts in the common knowledge of city folk. My own club has closer links to your club than any other. Btw you could lists dozens of things that could be changed in my club and I'd hazard a guess to say I'd agree with you.
Tickle is 100% correct.  No point trying to pull back now. The board knows exactly what you were intimating, as does Tickle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on December 06, 2017, 09:06:11 PM

Tickle is 100% correct.  No point trying to pull back now. The board knows exactly what you were intimating, as does Tickle.

The board? Sounds scary. Lmfao. Tickle can speak for himself Mr Ballyarnett.  Bit like I'm from High Park not creggan.  That's a city joke. Tickle will get it. You won't.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: theticklemister on December 06, 2017, 09:00:00 PM
Quote from: shantygael on December 06, 2017, 07:27:07 PM

Na lad; I'm using a new detergent.

Fear, we'll move on....

I think it's best. 

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 06, 2017, 09:35:14 PM
Quote from: restorepride on December 06, 2017, 09:06:11 PM

The board? Sounds scary. Lmfao. Tickle can speak for himself Mr Ballyarnett.  Bit like I'm from High Park not creggan.  That's a city joke. Tickle will get it. You won't.
Your rant is there for all the board to read and you were not joking.

Wildweasel74

:'Most of ballinderry on strike? Possible 2nd best team in the county; just 1 man on the panel; whats the score with the magherafelt men? Mark Craig,?  No sean Leo or Colm ( that the big full forward) McGoldrick; still way off been the stronger available pick in the county; Slaughtneil men aside! How was it only Eamon Coleman got the strongest/ best players in the county out for him; even C McNally who played for no-one else theres enough good players in the county without having to resort to U-20 players

Rawhide

Why, because he agreed with county board that he would go with a 26 man panel, a massive cost cutting excerise.
cccc is a true supporter lol

toby47

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2017, 09:59:50 PM
:'Most of ballinderry on strike? Possible 2nd best team in the county; just 1 man on the panel; whats the score with the magherafelt men? Mark Craig,?  No sean Leo or Colm ( that the big full forward) McGoldrick; still way off been the stronger available pick in the county; Slaughtneil men aside! How was it only Eamon Coleman got the strongest/ best players in the county out for him; even C McNally who played for no-one else theres enough good players in the county without having to resort to U-20 players

Completely agree, taking the Slaughtneil men out the panel is as weak as I've seen it. Mckinless and Ryan Bell from Ballinderry not asked. Heavron and McGuckin not asked, McGuckin got a phonecall from management to explain why he wasn't asked up.

Can't believe a few men said it isn't a mediocre panel, some absolutely bog standard club players on it.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rawhide on December 06, 2017, 10:08:07 PM
Why, because he agreed with county board that he would go with a 26 man panel, a massive cost cutting excerise.
I'm sure the county board will be pretty upset that he added those 3 extra players ;)