?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

seanyb1

Quote from: Ball on August 13, 2019, 10:52:54 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 12, 2019, 08:41:04 PM
Dungiven, what the hell happened them? Had a serious team through the early 90's and 20 odd yrs ago later they totally fallen away.

Wondering the same myself, warnings signs bound to have been there with the heavy beating they took from Swatragh at home earlier in the league. Have they been missing men? Injuries / travelling??

Dungiven won a minor championship in 2009 if I remember correctly..would be interesting to know how many of that team are still playing today

Mario

Quote from: seanyb1 on August 13, 2019, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: Ball on August 13, 2019, 10:52:54 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 12, 2019, 08:41:04 PM
Dungiven, what the hell happened them? Had a serious team through the early 90's and 20 odd yrs ago later they totally fallen away.

Wondering the same myself, warnings signs bound to have been there with the heavy beating they took from Swatragh at home earlier in the league. Have they been missing men? Injuries / travelling??

Dungiven won a minor championship in 2009 if I remember correctly..would be interesting to know how many of that team are still playing today

2 or 3 I would say. A few years ago about 8 would have been playing regular senior football. Since then a couple away travelling and a few retired, injured or quit temporarily.

I think there are a few reasons, Derry hurling definitely impacted towards our terrible start to the league and losing Kevin Johnston to Australia was a blow. Swatragh aside we have competed in a lot of games for 45 min and ended up losing them in the last quarter. I'm not surprised we were fighting relegation in a 12 team league but think we could have picked up a few more points.

We've had a big turn over of players in last few years, the core of our team that got to 09 Co final and competed well for the next 5 or 6 years have all retired in last few years and haven't been replaced eg Paul Murphy, Hinphey, McKeever, Pinny, Fig, Aaron mccloskey, Darrell O'kane. Hence our steady decline.

Maybe a year in Div 2 will help bring on a few younger players. I definitely think we should come straight back up. In 2007 Div 1 was split into two 8s, we went to 1b and got beat by Bellaghy by a point in that years champ semi, beat by ballinderry in 08 semi and lost 09 final, let's hope relegation has a similar impact this time!

Glenman93

Anyone hear how the meeting to talk about the new manager went?

Glenman93

For the next year I'd keep 12 teams in the league and give them 16 games in 24 weeks. Teams play 11 matches and then the split into top 6 and bottom 6. The teams keep their league points and then they play 5 more games in their mini league. All the county players could be back for the mini leagues. Top team wins the league and the 2 bottom ones get relegated. Job done.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Glenman93 on August 15, 2019, 08:29:48 PM
For the next year I'd keep 12 teams in the league and give them 16 games in 24 weeks. Teams play 11 matches and then the split into top 6 and bottom 6. The teams keep their league points and then they play 5 more games in their mini league. All the county players could be back for the mini leagues. Top team wins the league and the 2 bottom ones get relegated. Job done.

They do that in antrim and works well
Last match played last night and everything sorted before cship (apart from a prom/rel play off between 2nd bottom in top division and 2nd in div 2 which they just brought in this year)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Billy Magoo

Any truth in the chat going about that a county referee and club chairman assaulted another referee at a recent club game and got off with it cause 'he may be needed to referee later in the year and if he suspended then he couldn't '. If this is true then the county disciplinary committee have stooped to an all time low.

Oraisteach

Question for Derry hurling aficionados. In 1972, Kevin Lynch captained the U-16 Derry team to the All-Ireland title, but did he play on the team that lost to Armagh in the semis the year before that?

theticklemister

Took in my first game of club football this year when we played Greenlough. A classy free in the injury time front Enda Lynn away on the right won it for them after came back to nearly win. Two things I witnessed since having only seen one club game last year and actually over the years.....

The sheer build of players now at this level has greatly increased. Their conditioning for intermediate club players are excellent and...

How the f**k is that man Neil Forrester not still in the Derry squad? His speed, balance and trickery are second to none. That man could dodge live bullets for god sake. Time and time again he beat 3/4 defenders all in close proximity to set up scores for us.

oakleaflad

Quote from: theticklemister on August 17, 2019, 09:37:45 AM
Took in my first game of club football this year when we played Greenlough. A classy free in the injury time front Enda Lynn away on the right won it for them after came back to nearly win. Two things I witnessed since having only seen one club game last year and actually over the years.....

The sheer build of players now at this level has greatly increased. Their conditioning for intermediate club players are excellent and...

How the f**k is that man Neil Forrester not still in the Derry squad? His speed, balance and trickery are second to none. That man could dodge live bullets for god sake. Time and time again he beat 3/4 defenders all in close proximity to set up scores for us.
Neil is a good player and a good lad but to make out he's a glaring omission from the county panel would be wrong.

imtommygunn

Is the emmett mcguckin who scored for Coleraine today the Derry, or former Derry, player?

quit yo jibbajabba

Yup. Couldnt believe it myself. Didnt know he played. Formerly with Dergview i read there

theticklemister

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 17, 2019, 05:42:47 PM
Is the emmett mcguckin who scored for Coleraine today the Derry, or former Derry, player?

signed last week
Quote from: oakleaflad on August 17, 2019, 04:35:49 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 17, 2019, 09:37:45 AM

Neil is a good player and a good lad but to make out he's a glaring omission from the county panel would be wrong.

Well he is glaring from what we I seen and read this year.

tonesfirstandlast

Went to an U14 championship semi final tonight. No wonder that Derry have got the bad reputation for club football. It's tine that managers and parents got a good tight grip of themselves. These boys are just 14.

Tkmaxx

seanyb1

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on August 20, 2019, 10:25:00 PM
Went to an U14 championship semi final tonight. No wonder that Derry have got the bad reputation for club football. It's tine that managers and parents got a good tight grip of themselves. These boys are just 14.

Bellaghy not take their beating well or what?