Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: bigball on October 17, 2017, 02:11:33 PM
Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 17, 2017, 11:30:42 AM
Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on October 17, 2017, 11:07:36 AM
Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that won the minor title three years ago.

I was told it was due to it being the day before their minor B final.

2 things here, surely glen have enough players u21 (but over 18) and that they could easily compete with most teams in a minor A.

What's the point in entering a competition for the sake of it. If they have Minors that start on their u21 team they should not be made play u21's a day before the minor final. The club u21 tournament gets run into the ground and to be honest is a bit of a joke competition, deserves far more respect from organisers.

Let me rephrase then, did Glen need many u15s when they won the minors 3 years ago? I agree that the competition should get more of a chance.

The dynamics of minor and U21 are different. Minor teams are made up with 15-18 years olds and generally the wider panel are weaker players. Many of the weaker players drop off due to natural wastage. Others become not available at U21 due different  factors (i.e injuries, study in England, Conor Glass AFL, Mark Doole illness etc)
When it comes to U21's, I would suggest that most if not all clubs would depend on minors in order to enter a team. In Glen's last 3 Ulster winning Under 21 squads, each had several minors involved. This year was no different.

Yeah the usual drop off is easily understood but not to a point where a club withdraws from the comp. I find it hard to believe (doubt i would be the only one) that Glen couldn't field 15-20 players from the 2014 minor winners and 2015 finalists in addition to the 2016 minors even with 3/4 lost to the factors you mention.

That's the way football goes fellas. If we had 10 footballers staying on every year to play seniors or reserves our senior teams would be training with panels of 100. 3-4 coming through each year is what every club is aiming for, but its not what every club gets. Even more so now the way club football is going with S&C sessions, Pitch sessions etc boys cant be bothered coming down the road from uni 3/4 nights a week to play reserve football so massive dropout rates and clubs then struggle to get them out in cold October nights to gather an u21 team.

bigball

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: bigball on October 17, 2017, 02:11:33 PM
Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 17, 2017, 11:30:42 AM
Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM
Quote from: Rawhide on October 17, 2017, 11:07:36 AM
Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that won the minor title three years ago.

I was told it was due to it being the day before their minor B final.

2 things here, surely glen have enough players u21 (but over 18) and that they could easily compete with most teams in a minor A.

What's the point in entering a competition for the sake of it. If they have Minors that start on their u21 team they should not be made play u21's a day before the minor final. The club u21 tournament gets run into the ground and to be honest is a bit of a joke competition, deserves far more respect from organisers.

Let me rephrase then, did Glen need many u15s when they won the minors 3 years ago? I agree that the competition should get more of a chance.

The dynamics of minor and U21 are different. Minor teams are made up with 15-18 years olds and generally the wider panel are weaker players. Many of the weaker players drop off due to natural wastage. Others become not available at U21 due different  factors (i.e injuries, study in England, Conor Glass AFL, Mark Doole illness etc)
When it comes to U21's, I would suggest that most if not all clubs would depend on minors in order to enter a team. In Glen's last 3 Ulster winning Under 21 squads, each had several minors involved. This year was no different.

Yeah the usual drop off is easily understood but not to a point where a club withdraws from the comp. I find it hard to believe (doubt i would be the only one) that Glen couldn't field 15-20 players from the 2014 minor winners and 2015 finalists in addition to the 2016 minors even with 3/4 lost to the factors you mention.

Care to name me a club that fields an under21 team without any minors?

Link

I doubt there would be any but I would guarantee you that Lavey, Faughanvale, Dungiven and more would still have fielded this year if they were told minors couldn't play.

bigball

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 04:31:02 PM
I doubt there would be any but I would guarantee you that Lavey, Faughanvale, Dungiven and more would still have fielded this year if they were told minors couldn't play.

and what's your club mr expert?

Link

I'm no expert but I know we used at least 15 u21s not including minors.

bigball

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 09:18:39 PM
I'm no expert but I know we used at least 15 u21s not including minors.

You've conceded plenty over the years tho so get off the high horse.
Glen's record in the comp speaks for its self. However the way it's now scheduled has turned it into a farce with little interest from all.

Derry Optimist

Just heard that if Ireland succeed in winning their bid for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup that all designated grounds for this  huge sporting and tourist event will be entitled to  large infrastructure grants both for the individual stadia and the cities in which the games will take place. If true that would mean that Derry City in general terms and Celtic Park in particular, as one of those designated grounds, would be in for a huge financial investment.

After all the years of official discrimination and untold suffering by so many innocent people  no city or county would deserve such a welcome bonus any better than the  good people of our own home place.

I would hope that Derry County Board,Derry City Council and all relevant government bodies,both north and south,would have proper provisional plans made for this exciting development were it to happen.

I am sure that all GAA followers in Derry and elsewhere would like to see the accommodation and playing facilities in Celtic Park updated and developed, particularly if it were to mean the allocation of substantial external grants to make the dream become a reality. Any posters out there know anything further about the prospects of this happening.

I know 2023 is a long time away but would it not be nice to see 2022 All Ireland winning Derry Senior football captain Brendan Rogers along with his vice captain Conor McAtamney show off the Sam Maguire Cup to the millions of the Irish diaspora across the world at the launch of the first World Rugby Cup game in Celtic Park!!! Unless we have such dreams and ambitions  no team or no management will ever achieve anything.Roll on 2018!

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 18, 2017, 11:44:33 AM
Just heard that if Ireland succeed in winning their bid for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup that all designated grounds for this  huge sporting and tourist event will be entitled to  large infrastructure grants both for the individual stadia and the cities in which the games will take place. If true that would mean that Derry City in general terms and Celtic Park in particular, as one of those designated grounds, would be in for a huge financial investment.

After all the years of official discrimination and untold suffering by so many innocent people  no city or county would deserve such a welcome bonus any better than the  good people of our own home place.

I would hope that Derry County Board,Derry City Council and all relevant government bodies,both north and south,would have proper provisional plans made for this exciting development were it to happen.

I am sure that all GAA followers in Derry and elsewhere would like to see the accommodation and playing facilities in Celtic Park updated and developed, particularly if it were to mean the allocation of substantial external grants to make the dream become a reality. Any posters out there know anything further about the prospects of this happening.

I know 2023 is a long time away but would it not be nice to see 2022 All Ireland winning Derry Senior football captain Brendan Rogers along with his vice captain Conor McAtamney show off the Sam Maguire Cup to the millions of the Irish diaspora across the world at the launch of the first World Rugby Cup game in Celtic Park!!! Unless we have such dreams and ambitions  no team or no management will ever achieve anything.Roll on 2018!

Gregory? Is that you?

JoG2

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 18, 2017, 11:44:33 AM

The last I heard was it was between CP and McHale Park as the final venue.

TheImpactCode

Who do Ballinascreen play in the first round of the Ulster minor championship?

restorepride

No. Would Gregory talk about "Derry City Council"? Infact, would anyone from Strabane call it that?!!

JoG2

Quote from: TheImpactCode on October 18, 2017, 10:06:02 PM
Who do Ballinascreen play in the first round of the Ulster minor championship?

Draw not made yet. First Rd around the back end of November afaik

TheImpactCode

There seems to be an awful dropout rate at the minute.  Lot of U21 games conceded and there are not enough games at underage level.  For all the coaching, lads need more games if clubs are going to get families to buy in.

Think counties (not just Derry) need to really look at the structures and get more players involved.  reserve leagues are dying on their feet.

I see there is a Roe Valley team entered in the MacRory or McLarnon Cups.  A great idea.

The likes of Brian Smith and Brian McIver should be pushing more of this type of thing.

Derry Optimist

To answer "The Impact Code's " query as to which club Derry Minor champions Ballinascreen are drawn against in the Ulster Minor club championship (officially known as St Paul's Belfast Tournament!!) to the best of my knowledge the draw has not been made yet.However I am open to correction on this.

More importantly I hope Ballinascreen keep up a proud Derry winning tradition in this tournament.They have many very good footballers and it would be nice to see them gain some provincial silverware.

In the past outstanding individuals like Tony Scullion,Matt Trolan and Brendan Kelly starred for the Derry Senior team on numerous occasions, a  mantle now carried on by Dermot McBride,Benny Heron and Carlus McWilliams.Every club needs an occasional extra boost and this competition can be an incentive for Ballinascreen to make the most of their opportunity.

This years star  minors like John Paul Devlin and Martin Bradley can do likewise.

Newbridge Exile

We beat  Claudy by 1-16 to 0-13 tonight in  an entertaining under 21 B semi final , now  play glenullin in final on Sunday , ( Faughanvale v Lavey in A Final )