Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (47.6%)
?
11 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Derry Optimist

As we patiently await the draw for the 2018 Ulster Senior football championship next Thursday night I thought that I would engage in some crystal ball gazing and select the team that I would like to see representing Derry in the first round.Of course in this ideal situation no one is injured and all of our best players want to play and the selectors want to pick them!!

Ben McKinless
Niall Keenan                           Brendan Rogers                     Dermot McBride
Liam McGoldrick                      Chris McKaigue                      Sean Leo McGoldrick
                              Conor McAtamney           Emmett Bradley
Ciaran McFaul                         Danny Heavron (capt)                     Enda Lynn
Benny Heron                          Terence O'Brien                      Niall Loughlin

Remaining Panellists.

T Mallon, Anton  McMullan,G McKinless,C Nevin,K McKaigue, C McGrogan K Johnston, N Forrester, M Bateson,M Mc Evoy,C McWilliams,N Holly,P Cassidy, A McLoughlin,J Kielt,C McWilliams,C Bradley, Declan Hughes,E McGuckin,R Bell, N Toner and Danny Tallon.

As the modern game is essentially a 20 - man team effort I would look upon  all of the above but especially K McKaigue,G McKinless,M Bateson,C McWilliams,N Holly,P Cassidy, J Kielt, R Bell,C Bradley,Shane McGuigan and Danny Tallon as being prime candidates to come on during the course of the game at any time but especially during the last quarter.Indeed all of the latter would  also be very competent  to be on from the beginning.

I am sure that there are other obviously suitable  candidates outside those that I have mentioned above.

If Damian McErlain and his management team can get all of the above players willing and able to participate he will have the nucleus of a very good competitive team who can make a realistic
push for promotion from Division Three of the League and depending on the draw who knows what Derry might achieve in the Championship.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 16, 2017, 02:20:06 PM
As we patiently await the draw for the 2018 Ulster Senior football championship next Thursday night I thought that I would engage in some crystal ball gazing and select the team that I would like to see representing Derry in the first round.Of course in this ideal situation no one is injured and all of our best players want to play and the selectors want to pick them!!

Ben McKinless
Niall Keenan                           Brendan Rogers                     Dermot McBride
Liam McGoldrick                      Chris McKaigue                      Sean Leo McGoldrick
                              Conor McAtamney           Emmett Bradley
Ciaran McFaul                         Danny Heavron (capt)                     Enda Lynn
Benny Heron                          Terence O'Brien                      Niall Loughlin

Remaining Panellists.

T Mallon, Anton  McMullan,G McKinless,C Nevin,K McKaigue, C McGrogan K Johnston, N Forrester, M Bateson,M Mc Evoy,C McWilliams,N Holly,P Cassidy, A McLoughlin,J Kielt,C McWilliams,C Bradley, Declan Hughes,E McGuckin,R Bell, N Toner and Danny Tallon.

As the modern game is essentially a 20 - man team effort I would look upon  all of the above but especially K McKaigue,G McKinless,M Bateson,C McWilliams,N Holly,P Cassidy, J Kielt, R Bell,C Bradley,Shane McGuigan and Danny Tallon as being prime candidates to come on during the course of the game at any time but especially during the last quarter.Indeed all of the latter would  also be very competent  to be on from the beginning.

I am sure that there are other obviously suitable  candidates outside those that I have mentioned above.

If Damian McErlain and his management team can get all of the above players willing and able to participate he will have the nucleus of a very good competitive team who can make a realistic
push for promotion from Division Three of the League and depending on the draw who knows what Derry might achieve in the Championship.

you never even named him in your subs, now you saying he is a candidate to start from the beginning. In fairness, a strong squad but still can only see 75% of them lads making themselves available...

Wildweasel74

No point picking a championship team, this time of year but if available P Cassidy will be midfield

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: sam03/05 on October 16, 2017, 01:32:28 PM
Is Slaughtneil home or away v Omagh
If at home mostly likely to be at Celtic Park? with the Owenbeg pitch poor
In winter

Celtic Park Sat 28th Oct @ 7.00pm - confirmed
Newbridge v Belcoo before it @ 5.15
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Uncle Phil

Quote from: greenlight on October 16, 2017, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: toby47 on October 10, 2017, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: seanyb1 on October 10, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
You can add Emmett McGuckin on to the list of absentees - also not called up

So far Lynch, Kielt, Heavron, McGuckin.

Wonder what goalkeepers are on panel, was Postie asked back?

Don't know how a starting player can go from main player to not needed within 2/3 months. I know all managers will have difference in opinion on certain players but to not make a 30-40 man panel is some drop.

The only way that lad should be let through the gates of Owenbeg again is if he's rebuilding them. That's if his ego can fit through them.

What's wrong with giving the Slaughtneil keeper a shot?

Bit harsh on Postie. Think over the last 3-4 years, he's been one of the top keepers in the County.

McMullan definitely worthy of a call up. I was very impressed with him in the County Final.

JoG2

Quote from: Uncle Phil on October 17, 2017, 09:29:29 AM
Quote from: greenlight on October 16, 2017, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: toby47 on October 10, 2017, 01:16:58 PM
Quote from: seanyb1 on October 10, 2017, 01:06:59 PM
You can add Emmett McGuckin on to the list of absentees - also not called up

So far Lynch, Kielt, Heavron, McGuckin.

Wonder what goalkeepers are on panel, was Postie asked back?

Don't know how a starting player can go from main player to not needed within 2/3 months. I know all managers will have difference in opinion on certain players but to not make a 30-40 man panel is some drop.

The only way that lad should be let through the gates of Owenbeg again is if he's rebuilding them. That's if his ego can fit through them.

What's wrong with giving the Slaughtneil keeper a shot?

Bit harsh on Postie. Think over the last 3-4 years, he's been one of the top keepers in the County.

McMullan definitely worthy of a call up. I was very impressed with him in the County Final.

You'd have to assume Mackers will start with a blank canvas. The likes of Postie and Cassidy who walked away a the 11th hour last year will most likely be given a shot as there's no direct history between them. Imo that's the way it should be with the new manager , but they'll have to earn their stripes like everyone else, and if they do come back into the panel, they owe the shirt

Be something if all the men DerryOptimist has listed would make themselves available .

Rawhide

Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that won the minor title three years ago.
cccc is a true supporter lol

braveheart

Quote from: Rawhide on October 17, 2017, 11:07:36 AM
Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that wron the minor title three years ago.
The u21 championship needs revamped. It needs to be played at the start of the year before the league starts when there isn't anything else on. Then teams would take it seriously

Rawhide

Quote from: braveheart on October 17, 2017, 11:17:07 AM
Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that wron the minor title three years ago.
The u21 championship needs revamped. It needs to be played at the start of the year before the league starts when there isn't anything else on. Then teams would take it seriously

I agree, it is a joke of a compo now. With the U20s moving to the summer, that will be some craic btw with clubs, March and April is now available for the club compo, unless Maghera get to the Mc Rory final which would effect us.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Link

Is it true Glen pulled out of the U21 championship due to numbers? This is the same team that won the minor title three years ago.

I was told it was due to it being the day before their minor B final.

2 things here, surely glen have enough players u21 (but over 18) and that they could easily compete with most teams in a minor A.

toby47

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM

2 things here, surely glen have enough players u21 (but over 18) and that they could easily compete with most teams in a minor A.

What's the point in entering a competition for the sake of it. If they have Minors that start on their u21 team they should not be made play u21's a day before the minor final. The club u21 tournament gets run into the ground and to be honest is a bit of a joke competition, deserves far more respect from organisers.

TheImpactCode

It is always very hard to get all the games fitted in that need to be played.

U21 (U20 or whatever ye-ma-callit) needs to be played in tandem with the senior leagues to give players a chance to break into senior teams

Link

Quote from: toby47 on October 17, 2017, 11:30:42 AM

What's the point in entering a competition for the sake of it. If they have Minors that start on their u21 team they should not be made play u21's a day before the minor final. The club u21 tournament gets run into the ground and to be honest is a bit of a joke competition, deserves far more respect from organisers.

Let me rephrase then, did Glen need many u15s when they won the minors 3 years ago? I agree that the competition should get more of a chance.

bigball

Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 01:22:28 PM

Let me rephrase then, did Glen need many u15s when they won the minors 3 years ago? I agree that the competition should get more of a chance.

The dynamics of minor and U21 are different. Minor teams are made up with 15-18 years olds and generally the wider panel are weaker players. Many of the weaker players drop off due to natural wastage. Others become not available at U21 due different  factors (i.e injuries, study in England, Conor Glass AFL, Mark Doole illness etc)
When it comes to U21's, I would suggest that most if not all clubs would depend on minors in order to enter a team. In Glen's last 3 Ulster winning Under 21 squads, each had several minors involved. This year was no different.

Link

Quote from: bigball on October 17, 2017, 02:11:33 PM
Quote from: Link on October 17, 2017, 01:22:28 PM

The dynamics of minor and U21 are different. Minor teams are made up with 15-18 years olds and generally the wider panel are weaker players. Many of the weaker players drop off due to natural wastage. Others become not available at U21 due different  factors (i.e injuries, study in England, Conor Glass AFL, Mark Doole illness etc)
When it comes to U21's, I would suggest that most if not all clubs would depend on minors in order to enter a team. In Glen's last 3 Ulster winning Under 21 squads, each had several minors involved. This year was no different.

Yeah the usual drop off is easily understood but not to a point where a club withdraws from the comp. I find it hard to believe (doubt i would be the only one) that Glen couldn't field 15-20 players from the 2014 minor winners and 2015 finalists in addition to the 2016 minors even with 3/4 lost to the factors you mention.