Monaghan v Dublin 2/4/17 Clones

Started by Main Street, March 31, 2017, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 03, 2017, 04:58:22 PM

Introducing subs with 11 all-stars and 3 footballer of the year awards between them when your backs are to the wall help, towards the fitness levels you allude to. Not having one of your most influential players shown the line for an arguably misinterpreted black card whilst the same thing was going on in the Dublin FB line also helps. I heard the inconsistent ref referred to as 'Dublin Joe' on a few occasions yesterday and bizarrely one of them from a Dublin fan.. A Cavan referee should not be officiating a game involving Monaghan either though I'm not expecting readers to fully get the nuances of that statement.

You are spot on re your attacking methodology though; width and depth are two of the main weapons to prise open a defence and Dublin have perfected this.

Listen, it's not sour grapes and Dublin are a fantastic outfit, players and supporters alike. I'm originally a Clones man and it was both a poignant and proud day for me yesterday. From what I observed, the Dubs seemed to really enjoy the location and occasion also. Comhghairdeas!  :)
The Hughes offence was more of a black card than the Connolly one!
Hughes was a blatant black card as he tripped Fenton, but only if it was deliberate. I don't think it was deliberate and I wouldnt have given the card.
Late on there looked a clear black card offence when a Monaghan lad pulled down a Dub charging towards goal. McQuillan indicated it was a jersey pull rather than a pull down, so maybe fair enough.

No doubt that Hughes and Walshe were big losses to Monaghan. Probably wouldn't have been beaten if they'd stayed on.
McCarron was fantastic. Best player on the pitch and easy choice for man of the match (although still thought TG4 would give it to Kilkenny like they always seem to do when Dublin play!) The emergence of McCarron might give McManus a new lease in the championship as defences can't now focus all their attention on him.

Jinxy

I thought McManus was pretty ineffective by his standards yesterday.
He seemed to spend a lot of time out the field, maybe to draw defenders out and leave more space for McCarron inside.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Schkite

I think McManus was carrying a knock the last while, he was pretty quiet yesterday by his standards but that goes for the whole league. It would be great if we could get him fully fit and back in form for Ulster. A two man full forward line of McManus and McCarron would cause alot of counties trouble.

Main Street

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 03, 2017, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 02, 2017, 04:51:59 PM
The thing is, you can stay with Dublin and frustrate them if you are very well-organised and fit.
But the game will still be won in the last 10 minutes.
How do you make sure your big players can still influence things at the end of the game?
Conor McManus was deep in his defence towards the end.
He's no use to Monaghan back there.

You have to get as fit as the Dublin team really is what is required.
I think the main problem is that Dublin normally have 5 forwards who can usually score if left one on one with a defender (Andrews/McMenamon/Connolly/Brogan/Flynn/Rock - and most can  kick off two feet) which means that team defence has to be that much tighter especially as Dublin normally place guys right on the sideline on both sides of the pitch creating space (which means more running for midfielders/half forwards to cover) and when teams drop deep Dublin have multiple players like Conolly/Fenton/McMahon etc who can score from 45 yards out.

Introducing subs with 11 all-stars and 3 footballer of the year awards between them when your backs are to the wall help, towards the fitness levels you allude to. Not having one of your most influential players shown the line for an arguably misinterpreted black card whilst the same thing was going on in the Dublin FB line also helps. I heard the inconsistent ref referred to as 'Dublin Joe' on a few occasions yesterday and bizarrely one of them from a Dublin fan.. A Cavan referee should not be officiating a game involving Monaghan either though I'm not expecting readers to fully get the nuances of that statement.

You are spot on re your attacking methodology though; width and depth are two of the main weapons to prise open a defence and Dublin have perfected this.

Listen, it's not sour grapes and Dublin are a fantastic outfit, players and supporters alike. I'm originally a Clones man and it was both a poignant and proud day for me yesterday. From what I observed, the Dubs seemed to really enjoy the location and occasion also. Comhghairdeas!  :)
It's petty to be casting aspersions on Cavan Joe just because he's from Cavan.
Joe did well yesterday, he had Coldrick on the sideline, he kept listening to his earpiece for advice, kept up with the game, he was in almost every action scene, he kept the game flowing using the advantage to very good effect and got decision after decision correct. He was right there looking dead on at both the black card incidents and made the calls.
I'd say Joe's was a first class refereeing display which played a big part in making that an excellent contest of football played in a great sporting spirit, just spoiled by a bad ending.

I hadn't noticed it in the other games, just how much that Monaghan team enjoy playing their football.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 03, 2017, 04:59:49 PM
So if you were to meet them in this year's championship would you rather meet them in Croker?

I'd rather meet them in Clones.

The Hill is Blue

Monaghan were a breath of fresh air yesterday. On another day they could easily have won. What did it for the Dubs in the end was the strength of their bench. Monaghan are a credit to Gaelic football and, if there's any justice, this team will get its reward.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Main Street

Good you enjoyed the game HiB, there was a great atmosphere throughout with virtually no shenanigans on the field considering the pitch battle intensity of the contest.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 04, 2017, 12:07:50 AM
Monaghan were a breath of fresh air yesterday. On another day they could easily have won. What did it for the Dubs in the end was the strength of their bench. Monaghan are a credit to Gaelic football and, if there's any justice, this team will get its reward.

Good man, fair play to you.

We believe the we are getting the absolute most and best from what we have, and it's great to see. It takes a massive effort by a a lot of folk. We also realise however (from the previous 25 year drought..) that these times can be short lived and that we have to embrace them and make the most of them..

Tubberman

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on April 04, 2017, 09:45:09 AM

We believe the we are getting the absolute most and best from what we have, and it's great to see. It takes a massive effort by a a lot of folk. We also realise however (from the previous 25 year drought..) that these times can be short lived and that we have to embrace them and make the most of them..

Just wait until you beat them (which you hopefully will), the compliments give way to vitriol fairly quick!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Main Street

Quote from: Tubberman on April 04, 2017, 09:47:24 AM

Just wait until you beat them (which you hopefully will), the compliments give way to vitriol fairly quick!
Should that time come, then we'll gladly kick him in the goolies.

Declan

Great day out in Clones and a fantastic game. Had a bit of everything and Monaghan very impressive. A pleasure to follow this Dublin team and hopefully the run will continue on Sunday

heffo

How would you know!?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fuzzman

How many clubs in Monaghan?
Do you rate O'Rourke as a good manager?

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on April 04, 2017, 01:08:27 PM

How would you know!?

I was there in '06 and '12.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."