Refixture: Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán, Omagh, Sunday 12th March @14:00

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, February 12, 2017, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 12, 2017, 06:35:56 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 12, 2017, 06:17:17 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 12, 2017, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 12, 2017, 04:03:15 PM
Losing a half 12 to 1 is embarrassing stuff and simply not good enough. Relegated to Div2 and all progress made by Hyland is flushed down the toilet.
Hard to know what Cavan progress has been lost. Division one has the top six teams in Ireland in Monaghan,Kerry,Tyrone,Mayo,Donegal and Dublin. Cavan will learn a lot more about themselves losing division one games by six or seven points instead of any win in division two or three.

Getting promoted to the top 8 is progress. Getting relegated out of the top 8 is wasting that progress. Is that difficult to understand. This manager has talked the greatest loss of old nonsense I've heard in a long time. People wanted Hyland run out of town to get us to the next level with a new man and being honest this man could bring us down 2 levels. Lest we forget we were unlucky to lose by a point to Tyrone in the league last year.0

Very doubtful if Cavan would have stayed up if Hyland was still manager. Only division two,three league progress was made under him he was replaced because of the lack of championship progress. Lest we forget the July championship result was Tyrone 5-18 Cavan 2-17

Don't really want to stick up for Cavan but that was after a replay.

I feel Cavan's loss is Tyrone's gain in Peter Donnelly moving a couple of years ago. His football methods may be tosh to watch but defensively they are highly effective. I feel Tyrone have better forwards as a squad than Cavan too. They also have a better manager too.

twohands!!!

The record of teams who have been relegated from Division 1 in the summer is pretty horrific.

I'd say you wouldn't get much in the way of odds off a bookie on both McStay and McGleenan still being in place come Autumn.

omagh_gael

Good enough game for us today. A number of positives and negatives for me:

Positives

Mark Bradley coming on a having the skills and motivation to take on his own marker, head straight for the posts and fire over from long range. Always shows for the ball and never stops making runs for space. He HAS to start from now on!!

After a dreadful first half we shook off the cobwebs and put Cavan to the sword. Could have easily got stuck in a rutt and struggled in that game.

Our long range point scoring in second half was much much better. People saying the wind wasn't a factor, I disagree. Fair enough it wasn't blowing a gale but it was just strong enough for players playing into Gortin road end to turn down the long shot and recycle instead. It's no surprise that Cavan scored some beauties in the first half and f**k all in the second and we took over the point scoring in second. Tactics also changed.

Cavan's goal was good. Very quick movement of the ball and the cheeky finish was admirable.

Hopefully we stick with Sean hitting frees from the left and Petey from the right. From memory we only missed one or two. Can only think of Cavanagh'a that dropped into keepers arms.

Top of the table with three games to go, looking pretty good!

Negatives

Mattie Donnelly still isn't motoring well. Not that he's playing poorly but he has a lot more to give. The FF role just not suiting him. I thought it'd be a great idea to see him in there but looks like it's not paying dividends. However, he doesn't have much support when ball comes in, think we need to play McCurry or Bradley in his shadow to catch any loose balls thst break.

Game was well won at the stage but I hate that tippy tappy shite across the 45 at least let it in and try to engineer more scores. Wasn't as if we were worried that Cavan could break and win the game with a late goal.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 12, 2017, 07:17:00 PM
The record of teams who have been relegated from Division 1 in the summer is pretty horrific.

I'd say you wouldn't get much in the way of odds off a bookie on both McStay and McGleenan still being in place come Autumn.

It really hurt Tyrone two years ago alright.

LeoMc

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 12, 2017, 03:43:08 PM
Wind wasn't that big. Cavan changed tactics totally in second half, stopped contesting kickouts and pulled everyone back. Made no sense. Don't know why Niall Murray was took of at half time. Clerkin and Corr passengers.
In the first half they were dropping everyone back when not in possession and Tyrone were not able to break them down. In the second half they kept one man up and, once Bradley came on, Tyrone started to work some space.
Cavan heads were down for the last 15 minutes when Tyrone tacked on their last 4 scores.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 12, 2017, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 12, 2017, 04:03:15 PM
Losing a half 12 to 1 is embarrassing stuff and simply not good enough. Relegated to Div2 and all progress made by Hyland is flushed down the toilet.
Hard to know what Cavan progress has been lost. Division one has the top six teams in Ireland in Monaghan,Kerry,Tyrone,Mayo,Donegal and Dublin. Cavan will learn a lot more about themselves losing division one games by six or seven points instead of any win in division two or three.

Getting promoted to the top 8 is progress. Getting relegated out of the top 8 is wasting that progress. Is that difficult to understand. This manager has talked the greatest loss of old nonsense I've heard in a long time. People wanted Hyland run out of town to get us to the next level with a new man and being honest this man could bring us down 2 levels. Lest we forget we were unlucky to lose by a point to Tyrone in the league last year.0

There was quite a lot of bewilderment when Mattie was appointed to the Cavan job it has to be said.

Rudi

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2017, 05:48:20 PM
I can see Ros and Cavan going straight to Division 3 next year

Get a girlfriend you troll. If Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan are the top 6 who are 7 and 8 to make up the top 8?. Hardly Galway who have spent 5 years trying to get to D1. Could not beat Tipp in the championship and could not beat the worst Meath team in 30 years.

cavanmaniac

Give McGleenan a bit of time man. He might well turn out to be a duffer, sure, but maybe not - there's just no basis on which to judge that this early. Hyland was given four/four and a half years to get us into Division 1 while never making a real dent championship-wise (one win in 2013 excepted), or most pointedly, against teams of the same standard as those who generally live in Division 1. We frequently struggled against the likes of Roscommon and Derry too so let's be realistic about precisely where we were under Terry. That's not to belittle his achievements in any way, but to underline that if patience can be extended to one man then the other, in his first ever intercounty gig, should surely get a little too? I understand feelings run hot when the team's not doing well but Terry's day was done and we have to move on.

seafoid

Quote from: Rudi on March 12, 2017, 10:55:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2017, 05:48:20 PM
I can see Ros and Cavan going straight to Division 3 next year

Get a girlfriend you troll. If Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Monaghan are the top 6 who are 7 and 8 to make up the top 8?. Hardly Galway who have spent 5 years trying to get to D1. Could not beat Tipp in the championship and could not beat the worst Meath team in 30 years.
Maybe base it on provincial winners. I thought Ros had a good thing going last year but it doesn't look great at the moment.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2017, 08:33:23 PM

They are pretty much the exception that proves the rule and even they were helped by the fact that they got a soft enough run through the qualifiers. I doubt you will find too many Tyrone folk willing to argue the point that getting beaten by Donegal in Ulster and getting knocked out of the championship by Kerry whie beating the likes of Sligo, Limerick, Tipp, Meath  and Monaghan was all that successful of a championship.

Last year It was Cork and Down relegated
2015 it was Tyrone and Derry
2014 Kildare and Westmeath
2013 Donegal and Down
2012 Armagh and Laois
2011 Monaghan and Galway
2010 Derry and Tyrone

Look through the championship records and  the record of these teams relegated from Division 1 in that summer's championship and its clear just how poor the relegated teams  have done.

I don't see anything from Cavan or Roscommon that makes me think they are likely to be able to buck this trend.

Fuzzman

Why did McNamee not start?
How did McNulty do at MF?
Presume no highlights on YouTube or anywhere?

omagh_gael

I have recorded league Sunday but not sure if they'd any footage from it. Don't know why McNamee didn't start, he was moving fine when warming up and when he came on. Got him self a stupid black card as well!

McNulty was so-so, took his point well enough but will do well to start next weekend. Thought McClure has shown more so far this year.

Dire Ear

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on March 13, 2017, 12:31:03 AM

Give McGleenan a bit of time man. He might well turn out to be a duffer, sure, but maybe not - there's just no basis on which to judge that this early. Hyland was given four/four and a half years to get us into Division 1 while never making a real dent championship-wise (one win in 2013 excepted), or most pointedly, against teams of the same standard as those who generally live in Division 1. We frequently struggled against the likes of Roscommon and Derry too so let's be realistic about precisely where we were under Terry. That's not to belittle his achievements in any way, but to underline that if patience can be extended to one man then the other, in his first ever intercounty gig, should surely get a little too? I understand feelings run hot when the team's not doing well but Terry's day was done and we have to move on.

He will get the time. Lets leave Terry be so.

Can you explain why every week we are looking at a team with guys playing in bizarre positions. Lets take McVetty. Starts as wing forward against Dublin & Monaghan. Then moved into FF against Donegal, strange move to say the least but you could argue it worked as he won ball and scored 2 points in there. Then yesterday, with Johnstone dropped/injured, he doesn't play inside at all. Does that sound like logical reasoning. You either give a lad a go in a new position or you dont. It looks like a guy in panic stations. McKiernan from Lacken dropped from starting panel for a couple of games and gets on as a sub yesterday, Argue back last week but no sign of him this week. One things is for sure he is not showing his hand as to what he will do in the championship as I dont think he knows what he is doing. Byall accounts the fitness of  the team is poor too. My bet he will be gone after the summer. I genuinely hope he can turn it around but we are back at Donal Keoghan levels of management from what I can see.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 13, 2017, 11:20:17 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2017, 08:33:23 PM

They are pretty much the exception that proves the rule and even they were helped by the fact that they got a soft enough run through the qualifiers. I doubt you will find too many Tyrone folk willing to argue the point that getting beaten by Donegal in Ulster and getting knocked out of the championship by Kerry whie beating the likes of Sligo, Limerick, Tipp, Meath  and Monaghan was all that successful of a championship.

Last year It was Cork and Down relegated
2015 it was Tyrone and Derry
2014 Kildare and Westmeath
2013 Donegal and Down
2012 Armagh and Laois
2011 Monaghan and Galway
2010 Derry and Tyrone

Look through the championship records and  the record of these teams relegated from Division 1 in that summer's championship and its clear just how poor the relegated teams  have done.

I don't see anything from Cavan or Roscommon that makes me think they are likely to be able to buck this trend.

I think it's safe to say Cavan or Roscommon won't be winning provincial titles this summer however depending on qualifer draw they may reach the last 8. It happened before for Roscommon in 2003 with division one relegation and All Ireland quarter final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose