Monaghan v Cavan, Castleblayney, Sunday, February 12, 2017.

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 07, 2017, 09:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on February 08, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 08:18:46 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2017, 11:06:09 PM
Some Cavan people do have an inflated opinion of their importance in the scheme of things.
It must be the 5 all Irelands
Is there anyone alive in Monaghan who can remember that? 
Possibly there is a 30 second b&W youtube clip somewhere of men in caps running after a ball in droves, through  a fog of cigarette smoke bellowing out from be-capped spectators.
The member from Cavan implied that Monaghan people would up for attending this game in their thousands if it were in Clones, as if we cared that much.
Probably more Cavan people would attend the game in Clones than would be willing to endure an extra 45km journey to Blaney, but I doubt there would be more Monaghan people,.
At first glance I was curious why Blaney and not Clones but as GMF has already written, we have played much much bigger games in distant, tranquil places like Inniskeen (just down the road from Hackballscross).
Monaghan are still Samless. One of the great mysteries.

mrdeeds

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 08, 2017, 05:14:28 PM
Is Blayney one of the biggest pitches in country?
Did you misspell again Mr Deeds and put in a p where there should be a b?

Boycey

Someone has been on Hoganstand  ;D

It allegedly has a bigger surface area than Croker but actual pitch was pulled in a couple of metres each side at request of county manager a few years ago and I don't think it's ever been changed back..

mrdeeds

Quote from: Boycey on February 08, 2017, 06:38:56 PM

Someone has been on Hoganstand  ;D

It allegedly has a bigger surface area but actual pitch was pulled in a couple of years ago at request of county manager a few years ago and I don't think it's ever been changed back..

Cheers for that. Couldn't believe anything you read on Hoganstand.

mrdeeds

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on February 08, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 08:18:46 AM
Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2017, 11:06:09 PM
Some Cavan people do have an inflated opinion of their importance in the scheme of things.
It must be the 5 all Irelands
Is there anyone alive in Monaghan who can remember that? 
Possibly there is a 30 second b&W youtube clip somewhere of men in caps running after a ball in droves, through  a fog of cigarette smoke bellowing out from be-capped spectators.
The member from Cavan implied that Monaghan people would up for attending this game in their thousands if it were in Clones, as if we cared that much.
Probably more Cavan people would attend the game in Clones than would be willing to endure an extra 45km journey to Blaney, but I doubt there would be more Monaghan people,.
At first glance I was curious why Blaney and not Clones but as GMF has already written, we have played much much bigger games in distant, tranquil places like Inniskeen (just down the road from Hackballscross).

One thing for sure lad is there is no one alive in Monaghan that remembers Monaghan winning a Sam.

Main Street

I thought the Blayney pitch was nothing special, just neat and tidy. The stand looked like it would have a hard time keeping out the rain and I suppose overall, the ground isn't up to holding a fixture of this standing and against a team with such a pedigree (though locked away in history) ::)
Clones was a more obvious setting with seating for 6 or 7,000.

What's changed for Monaghan this year is mainly plus and I think they'll have way too much for Cavan. Though not too much can be read into beating that Mayo team but the return of Gavin Doogan is by far the biggest plus, I thought he was outstanding v Mayo. The Hughes brothers were also a stand out. We don't miss the retirees, Clerkin and Finlay as they had already been faded out of the team, though we miss a free taker from the right side, Finlays side. Beggan will always be hit or miss, if he hits one from distance  it's a bonus. McManus pegging two free kicks from the 45m mark was a welcome skill.

Boycey

Clones has about 1000 more covered seats than Blayney everything else is subject to the elements. It's hardly Buckingham Palace  ;D

straightred

just looking at the sigerson highlights on independent.ie

McCarthy scored 1-2 from play and looked really impressive. He has the talent to give Monaghan that other option up front beside mcmanus that the badly need. He's one to watch this year.

Sleater

Quote from: straightred on February 08, 2017, 10:59:15 PM
just looking at the sigerson highlights on independent.ie

McCarthy scored 1-2 from play and looked really impressive. He has the talent to give Monaghan that other option up front beside mcmanus that the badly need. He's one to watch this year.

McCarthy and fellow UCD team mate McGinn are serious talents for Monaghan. McCarthy has bags of scoring potential but also works like a dog of the ball. He's excellent at disposing opposition players of the ball and probably best suited to a half forward role. I don't think we'll see too much of McGinn during this NFL campaign as he's got the U-21's to contend with too, unless of course they get eliminated early. I suppose seeing Jack McCarron back and fit is the great hope. Heard he was kicking points for fun at training recently.

Main Street

Quote from: Boycey on February 08, 2017, 10:46:07 PM
Clones has about 1000 more covered seats than Blayney everything else is subject to the elements. It's hardly Buckingham Palace  ;D
How many seats do you think are under that mini roof in Blayney?

A seat is still a seat and seat availability is likely to be a big criteria in the decision process of the intrepid Cavan supporter before deciding to make the journey of a lifetime into the bowels of Monaghan.

GrandMasterFlash

Here's who's down to play on the much discussed pitch:

---
Monaghan are unchanged for Sunday's Allianz League clash against neighbours Cavan in Castleblayney.

Manager Malachy O'Rourke has kept faith with the same team that started in the 1-11 to 0-12 victory over Mayo in the opening round last Saturday.

Conor McManus and Darren Hughes were in inspiring form as the Farney men opened their Division 1 campaign with a merited success in Castlebar.

Talisman McManus finished with 0-6 to his name while Hughes hit 1-1 in a man-of-the-match performance from midfield.

Currin's Jack McCarron is named on the bench after being absent last weekend.

Monaghan (Allianz FL v Cavan): Rory Beggan; Fintan Kelly, Drew Wylie, Ryan Wylie; Kieran Duffy, Neil McAdam, Colin Walshe; Darren Hughes, Kieran Hughes; Karl O'Connell, Shane Carey, Gavin Doogan; Conor McCarthy, Thomas Kerr, Conor McManus.

Subs: Conor Forde, James Mealiff, Owen Coyle, Brian Greenan, Niall McKeown, Aaron Lynch, Dermot Malone, Owen Duffy, Ryan McAnespie, Jack McCarron, Barry McGinn.

http://www.hoganstand.com/monaghan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=265773
---

Strong line out with plenty of options from the bench. Good to see McCarron named also.

Main Street

And Cavan have that x factor, a 16th man called P d'Gree.