Monaghan v Cavan, Castleblayney, Sunday, February 12, 2017.

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 07, 2017, 09:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2017, 08:37:16 PM
Mattie would want to get his shit together for this one. It's not the time for throwing in lads with no intercounty experience. It's not a time for talking about how great the Cavan lads are, how great the Monaghan lads are, how great the tea ladies are and how great it is to be in Division 1.

Hard to know who is the best option to pick up McManus, Killian Clarke has seemingly forgot how to tackle, Gunner doesn't have the pace but could do a hatchet job I suppose, Faulkner might be the best option.

You need pace nowadays to do a proper hatchet job.
The whole world's gone mad.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Boycey

Quote from: Itchy on February 07, 2017, 07:58:54 PM
Seems like a daft call not having it in clones given that this will probably draw the biggest crowd to a Monaghan home game in this years league.

Believe it or not Dublin are a bigger draw than Cavan  ;D

Main Street

Some Cavan people do have an inflated opinion of their importance in the scheme of things.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2017, 11:06:09 PM
Some Cavan people do have an inflated opinion of their importance in the scheme of things.

Chatting to a fella from Blaney and he can't believe it's there. But he did say in past for a Tyrone game was moved in lead up to Clones 

seafoid

It must be the 5 all Irelands

Dire Ear

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 08:18:46 AM
Lovely !!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 08, 2017, 07:48:13 AM

Chatting to a fella from Blaney and he can't believe it's there. But he did say in past for a Tyrone game was moved in lead up to Clones

We played Tyrone in Inniskeen in 2010 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_National_Football_League_(Ireland)). We beat them by a point. We just about stayed up, as a result of our head to head result with Derry, who went down with Tyrone. I remember people at the time questioning the venue... It was an obvious tactic to have the game there i.e. to take Tyrone out of their comfort zone that was Clones.

Similarly, Blayney will be less familiar to Cavan than Clones, and based on the above this may count..

I'm originally from Clones BTW and obviously biased towards it as a home venue, but I'm not against moving league games out of there the odd time.

Jinxy

Who holds the bragging rights in this head-to-head over the last 5 years?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Jinxy on February 08, 2017, 11:13:56 AM
Who holds the bragging rights in this head-to-head over the last 5 years?

Monaghan have won the Championship games that matter. Think Cavan record in league and McKenna cup meetings is decent though.

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2017, 08:18:46 AM
Is there anyone alive in Monaghan who can remember that? 
Possibly there is a 30 second b&W youtube clip somewhere of men in caps running after a ball in droves, through  a fog of cigarette smoke bellowing out from be-capped spectators.
The member from Cavan implied that Monaghan people would up for attending this game in their thousands if it were in Clones, as if we cared that much.
Probably more Cavan people would attend the game in Clones than would be willing to endure an extra 45km journey to Blaney, but I doubt there would be more Monaghan people,.
At first glance I was curious why Blaney and not Clones but as GMF has already written, we have played much much bigger games in distant, tranquil places like Inniskeen (just down the road from Hackballscross).

mrdeeds

Blaney not that far from parts of Cavan. Maybe the poster just thought because Cavan near Monaghan that a lot will travel.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 08, 2017, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: Boycey on February 08, 2017, 12:59:29 PM
BlaYney... thanks

A grammer nazi. Good man.

'blayney, to give it its vernacular definition..  ;)

And he (Boycey) would be a spelling Nazi, and not a grammar Nazi as described..  ;)

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 08, 2017, 12:56:09 PM
Blaney not that far from parts of Cavan. Maybe the poster just thought because Cavan near Monaghan that a lot will travel.
I suppose it depends from where but Clones is closer to most parts of Cavan than BlaYney and many parts are much closer. Road travel to Clones is better and there's a much better chance of getting a seat in the stand. I think it's a given that more Cavan people would travel to Clones that would travel to Blayney.
I doubt the location will make much difference, if any, to what will transpire on the pitch.
We play one home game in Blayney, one in Inniskeen and take on the Dubs in Clones. I think it's good to travel around the county's venues in the league.